By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple iPhone 15 Pro Will Have Console Games (RE4R, RE Village, Assassin's Creed, DS)

Jules98 said:

iOS getting AAA games is cute I guess, but who is this really for?

• Mobile gamers want a pick-up-and-play experience that can be enjoyed in short bursts
  • Console gamers want the comfort of a controller and large TV screen
  • PC gamers want the flexibility and raw power their hardware can offer

To me, it seems that the potential audience who would care for AAA games on a phone is very limited. A nice extra if you're already entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, but not something that's going to convert people to iOS.

Agreed.  Huge win for Apple fans.  Not so much for anybody else.  I'm not giving up:

1) switch because of Nintendo software 

2) PC because of open system

3) ps5 because of sony software and if sony continues to support PC I'm going steam not apple because of point 2.

I'm not investing hundreds in games in a close ecosystem where I have no hardware choice and upgrades are extremely limited.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

It's also interesting how the market has changed over the years from a %share perspective.

Today, things are very different from 10 years ago.

Market shares by OS worldwide 2023:

Android (Linux kernel, ARM based) - 40%
Windows (PC x86) - 30%
iOS (ARM based) - 17%
MacOS (ARM based) - 9%
Others - 4%

Just 10-12 years ago, Microsoft Windows was the king at 90%, while today Apple devices ecosystem is sitting around 26% Vs Windows at only 30%.
It's also worth noting that about 70% of all devices out there are ARM Vs 30% x86.
There is a reason why Apple, Google, NVidia and also Nintendo are using ARM chips which are catching up in performace to the x86 family, while offering very-low, energy savings, power consumptions.

On one side we have Intel, AMD, Sony and Microsoft bound to an ancient tech, while on the other side we have Apple, Google, Amazon, Qualcomm, NVidia, Nintendo, pushing for a paradigm shift.

Which one of the two sides will prevail in the long run is yet to be discovered, but I see a trend here.

Last edited by JimmyFantasy - on 14 September 2023

JimmyFantasy said:

It's also interesting how the market has changed over the years from a %share perspective.

Windows (PC x86) - 30%
iOS (ARM based) - 17%
MacOS (ARM based) - 9%
Others - 4%

Just 10-12 years ago, Microsoft Windows was the king at 90%, while today Apple devices ecosystem is sitting around 26% Vs Windows at only 30%.
It's also worth noting that about 70% of all devices out there are ARM Vs 30% x86.
There is a reason why Apple, Google, NVidia and also Nintendo are using ARM chips which are catching up in performace to the x86 family, while offering very-low, energy savings, power consumptions.

On one side we have Intel, AMD, Sony and Microsoft bound to an ancient tech, while on the other side we have Apple, Google, Amazon, Qualcomm, NVidia, Nintendo, pushing for a paradigm shift.

Which one of the two sides will prevail in the long run is yet to be discovered, but I see a trend here.

Probably depends on which market.  Consumer or business.  I would suspect business is going to stay with windows for a very long time.  Migrating businesses to new systems is a massive issue.  The company I work for probably has 300k computers and all our systems are based on windows.  And we have hundreds of systems.  

Is your 30% for consumer market only?  Seems low given what most major corporations use.  

From a chemistry perspective all our instruments are Windows.  GC, LC, ICP, FTIR, NRM, etc.  I don't see that changing anytime soon.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Just an observation. But whenever Apple announces something new or cool, it never fails to incite these sort of weird defensive posts while shrieking about how they’re not being defensive at the same time almost in the same breath as listing off a bunch of competing platforms or features their other devices have... Like that period where they kept jumping into Apple threads to brag about how they had to navigate on their phone with tactile buttons :D

I wonder what it is about Apple that makes people so threatened that they feel they have to resort to this kind of keyboard activism? But this is the same sort of thing that happened with the original PlayStation and the Wii.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Just an observation. But whenever Apple announces something new or cool, it never fails to incite these sort of weird defensive posts while shrieking about how they’re not being defensive at the same time almost in the same breath as listing off a bunch of competing platforms or features their other devices have... Like that period where they kept jumping into Apple threads to brag about how they had to navigate on their phone with tactile buttons :D

I wonder what it is about Apple that makes people so threatened that they feel they have to resort to this kind of keyboard activism? But this is the same sort of thing that happened with the original PlayStation and the Wii.

Lol, I see it completely different.  Apple is pitched as destroying the competition.  In another thread someone is predicting apple would decimate Sony in the AAA gaming market.  If some apple fans were not so ridiculous this wouldn't get out of hand.  

Apple is a fine company that makes products people love.  But jumping the gun from a single announcement with claims that Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft all need to be worried.....  not too much in your eyes?  Because those claims on VG are being made.

Page 7: "sony's business is at risk."

Nobody is threatened.  We are just taking issue with absurd commentary.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 14 September 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Jumpin said:

Lol, I see it completely different.  Apple is pitched as destroying the competition.  In another thread someone is predicting apple would decimate Sony in the AAA gaming market.  If some apple fans were not so ridiculous this wouldn't get out of hand.  

Apple is a fine company that makes products people love.  But jumping the gun from a single announcement with claims that Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft all need to be worried.....  not too much in your eyes?  Because those claims on VG are being made.

LOL! Thanks for demonstrating my point.

Chrkeller said:
JimmyFantasy said:

Windows (PC x86) - 30%
iOS (ARM based) - 17%
MacOS (ARM based) - 9%
Others - 4%

Probably depends on which market.  Consumer or business.  I would suspect business is going to stay with windows for a very long time.  Migrating businesses to new systems is a massive issue.  The company I work for probably has 300k computers and all our systems are based on windows.  And we have hundreds of systems.  

Is your 30% for consumer market only?  Seems low given what most major corporations use.  

From a chemistry perspective all our instruments are Windows.  GC, LC, ICP, FTIR, NRM, etc.  I don't see that changing anytime soon.  

It's an overall data including consumer devices, server, workstation etc

Jumpin said:
Chrkeller said:

At what?  Because I think people need to pump the breaks on the "Sony is in trouble" comments?  It feels like you didn't read my post.

In summary I'm defensive because I think it is too soon to predict the downfall of sony in gaming???  Lol, OK then.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Soundwave said:

Here is Resident Evil 8 (Village) running on the Apple M2 processor, keep in mind this is a mobile processor running in an ultra thin Macbook with no internal fan or cooling. This chip also ships in iPad Pros. EDIT: Holy shit the guy says in the description he was running this on battery power ... not plugged in (!). 

The XBox Series S runs this at 1440p at about 45 fps ... the M2 chip is at the same resolution at a frame rate around 40-50 fps.

This chip is a beast, and it's going to be outdated soon, the M3 chip is going to be 3nm (like the Apple A17 Bionic announced yesterday for the iPhone 15 Pro) ... that means expect a sizable power jump. This chip can go into Mac Minis and probably even an Apple TV style device too to make a kick ass mini-console too. 

I'm telling you guys, don't sleep on Apple. They are doing unreal things with their chip and graphics technology. 

For developers the upside is big too ... sure you port to the higher end Macbook chip spec, but once you're on Apple silicon, the game can then scale down from there, so you can make like an iPhone version once the iPhone gets to a certain level of power ... this is basically what it looks like happened with the Resident Evil games, they can now bring this RE Village Apple silicon version to the iPhone because they already did the work to port it to the Macbook/M1/M2 chips. 

If Apple is successful in getting more and more devs to bring their games over, it'll be very interesting. They are streamlining the porting process.  

As far as pricing goes, it's only a problem to the extent that you have to twist people's arms to buy your product. If people are buying your product at that price hand over fist anyway ... well. The iPad still ships 50 million units a year give or take even without strong gaming functionality, Sony has maybe sold 25 million one time in their entire PS1-5 history. The iPhone ships 200+ million a year, lol. These are massively mass market products even at their prices because people value them that much. 

My M1 MacBook Pro is my first Mac and I am in love, my amazing iPad/iPhone experience convinced to give it a go, I didn't care it didn't play games, never liked gaming on Windows anyway and I am not looking forward to playing games on my Mac either. 

I just don't see what Apple can do to attract "traditional gamers", sure, they're getting ports of some games now, but you can't build a business strategy that is based on convincing third devs to make games for your hardware, it's not sustainable, not reliable, and it doesn't last. It's literally the difference between the Wii U and the Switch. When it comes to this party relationships, whenever you have to convince them, the battle is lost. On the other hand, Apple doesn't have Nintendo's IPs, as a result, I only see a narrow path with a dead end for Apple with traditional gamers. The only option that would provide a realistic chance is acquiring large publishers but it's simply not in their DNA to do so. I can see them investing in their own studios the way they did with Apple TV but this is much riskier and requires long-term commitment and expertise that simply Apple doesn't have. 

Sure, Apple is selling lots of incredibly capable hardware, and I am about to buy the iPhone 15 Pro as I am forever done with my Galaxy, but hasn't always Apple's hardware been super capable, what changes this time? nothing, imo. 

JimmyFantasy said:

Windows (PC x86) - 30%
iOS (ARM based) - 17%
MacOS (ARM based) - 9%
Others - 4%

Yup, Nintendo is a forward thinking company, few will admit this. Remember when Nintendo skipped E3 for pre-recorded directs? seems like an industry standard now, even Apple pre-records their events (a change triggered by COVID19). 

The Switch to ARM was another forward-thinking move by Nintendo. Ironically, native ARM ports to Switch/Mac/iOS/Android will help Windows cross-over as well despite the piss poor job by MS in contributing to the transition. 

As for which of the "two sides" will prevail, I don't think it's an either-or situation, the future of ARM is guaranteed, nothing will change this. x86 will continue to co-exist.

Jumpin said:

All I know is that I am looking forward to my next iPhone, and my first Watch and first AirPods  

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 14 September 2023

Chrkeller said:
Jumpin said:

At what?  Because I think people need to pump the breaks on the "Sony is in trouble" comments?  It feels like you didn't read my post.

In summary I'm defensive because I think it is too soon to predict the downfall of sony in gaming???  Lol, OK then.  

My post has nothing to do with Sony (other than recalling the massive keyboard activism against PSX fans back in the day). It's that you're literally behaving just like the sorts of weird (yet predictable) reactions my post was describing: getting all defensive while protesting that you're being defensive, and resorting to keyboard activism.

The Sony defence thing was brought up by you as an excuse for your behaviour. Specifically, you're trying to convince me that your indignation is righteous via an overdramatized framing of a short line you found seven pages into this thread. If it's not already obvious to see how that's bullshit, clicking page 7, you already have a post at the top of the page being defensive BEFORE that line you claimed that triggered you :D

You can protest some more, act confused, but I think we're done.