By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple iPhone 15 Pro Will Have Console Games (RE4R, RE Village, Assassin's Creed, DS)

Dante9 said:

I just can't understand people who want to game on a tiny screen like that. No matter how well it runs, it's a pathetic little screen that doesn't exactly suck you in to the experience.
Well, to each their own I guess.

Personal preference I suppose.  When I travel the only switch games I play on a small screen is captain Toad or triangle strategy.  Stuff like tears, LM3 or pikmin 4 just aren't the same on a small screen.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

For a mobile console that was probably supposed to release in November 2016 yes, absolutely. 

If Sony had released a PSP3/Vita 2 in the same time frame, they wouldn't have been able to get anything much better tech wise than what the Switch had. 

sony actually loses money on hardware so believe it would have had a way more advanced chip if they made a handheld. Nintendo made profit from day one. just look at history nintendo handhelds are way behind sony when it comes to power. they stopped caring about power since gamecube. 

They would not, because a more advanced chip than Tegra X1 suitable for a portable gaming device did not exist at the time. Also the Switch was more than a generational leap over the Vita when it comes to power. The Switch was a powerhouse by 2017 standards. To Nintendo's luck Nvidia was more than willing to give them a good deal on the chip, of which they had a lot in left-over.

Chrkeller said:
Dante9 said:

I just can't understand people who want to game on a tiny screen like that. No matter how well it runs, it's a pathetic little screen that doesn't exactly suck you in to the experience.
Well, to each their own I guess.

Personal preference I suppose.  When I travel the only switch games I play on a small screen is captain Toad or triangle strategy.  Stuff like tears, LM3 or pikmin 4 just aren't the same on a small screen.  

Meh. The thing is you'll hold your tiny screen right up to your face when playing handheld, so relatively the screen size is basically the same. Big screen 5 meters away, or tiny screen 20 centimeters away. Makes no difference to me.

Vinther1991 said:
zeldaring said:

sony actually loses money on hardware so believe it would have had a way more advanced chip if they made a handheld. Nintendo made profit from day one. just look at history nintendo handhelds are way behind sony when it comes to power. they stopped caring about power since gamecube. 

They would not, because a more advanced chip than Tegra X1 suitable for a portable gaming device did not exist at the time. Also the Switch was more than a generational leap over the Vita when it comes to power. The Switch was a powerhouse by 2017 standards. To Nintendo's luck Nvidia was more than willing to give them a good deal on the chip, of which they had a lot in left-over.

Yup this is delusional thinking. The Tegra X1 was in the same class as the Apple A9X for 2017, which was a monster chip. 

Sony is small potatoes compared to Apple and Nvidia, they don't have the capacity to make their own chips, the idea they could somehow find a chip way better than a Tegra X1/Apple A9X is laughable. 

The Switch IS basically the Vita successor/PSP3 that Sony was unwilling to make (because they got beaten so badly in the portable market). Running at 460 MHz undocked, a Switch 1 is 230 gigaflops, that's like 8x the gigaflop performance of a Vita and when docked ... forget it, the Vita is not even in the same neighborhood anymore. The Switch is a bigger upgrade over the Vita than the PS5 is over the PS4. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 22 September 2023

Soundwave said:
Vinther1991 said:

Yup this is delusional thinking. The Tegra X1 was in the same class as the Apple A9X for 2017, which was a monster chip. 

Sony is small potatoes compared to Apple and Nvidia, they don't have the capacity to make their own chips, the idea they could somehow find a chip way better than a Tegra X1/Apple A9X is laughable. 

The Switch IS basically the Vita successor/PSP3 that Sony was unwilling to make (because they got beaten so badly in the portable market). Running at 460 MHz undocked, a Switch 1 is 230 gigaflops, that's like 8x the gigaflop performance of a Vita and when docked ... forget it, the Vita is not even in the same neighborhood anymore. The Switch is a bigger upgrade over the Vita than the PS5 is over the PS4. 

Naw it's common sense thinking. sony cares about power and their consoles always have secret sauce or custom designs to yield more power. they would have have probably  had some kind of great idea to keep the chip cool and clock much higher, and you would have  a pro switch in 3 years with sony. mean while Nintendo duct tapes 2 gamecubes together for the wii, and makes wiiu inferior or on par with 360/ps3 after 7 years lol. anytime a nintendo console gets announced i expect the worst out come from rumors and it aways works.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

Naw it's common sense thinking. sony cares about power and their consoles always have secret sauce or custom designs to yield more power. they would have have probably  had some kind of great idea to keep the chip cool and clock much higher, and you would have  a pro switch in 3 years with sony. mean while Nintendo duct tapes 2 gamecubes together for the wii, and makes wiiu inferior or on par with 360/ps3 after 7 years lol. anytime a nintendo console gets announced i expect the worst out come from rumors and it aways works.

They can care all they want, a magic chip isn't going to manifest itself out of thin air for them. 

There is no chip that much better than an Apple A9X in that time period, which the Tegra X1 in the same class as. If there was Apple would have been using it. Sony is a dinky little company compared to Apple (100 billion market cap vs. 2.74 trillion ... meaning Apple is 27 times the market cap of Sony), they don't get chip tech that no one else does. 

If there was a Vita 2/PSP3 that was aiming to launch for holiday 2016 it would've been basically what the Switch is hardware wise. 

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

They can care all they want, a magic chip isn't going to manifest itself out of thin air for them. 

There is no chip that much better than an Apple A9X in that time period, which the Tegra X1 in the same class as. If there was Apple would have been using it. Sony is a dinky little company compared to Apple (100 billion market cap vs. 2.74 trillion ... meaning Apple is 27 times the market cap of Sony), they don't get chip tech that no one else does. 

If there was a Vita 2/PSP3 that was aiming to launch for holiday 2016 it would've been basically what the Switch is hardware wise. 

we'll agree to disagree. Sony and nintendo have a different philosophy when it comes to investing in powerful console one is priority where they are welling to lose money the other is about being profitable from day one and this will be proven again when it's a samsung 8nm.

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

we'll agree to disagree. Sony and nintendo have a different philosophy when it comes to investing in powerful console one is priority where they are welling to lose money the other is about being profitable from day one and this will be proven again when it's a samsung 8nm.

Nintendo using outdated technology really only works when they have a monopoly on low-budget/blue ocean consumers. 

From 2004-2010 they basically had a monopoly on non-gamers with the DS and Wii and sales were great. No problem. 

What happens in 2010 when Kinect, Sony Move, cheap/free iPhone touch gaming (Angry Birds) starts to take off and suddenly they are not the only ones with motion control and touch gaming?

The Wii U bombed and while they were able to will the 3DS to 74 million by throwing everything they could at it (including a massive price cut only 4 months into the product cycle) they lost half the DS user base going from 154 million to 74 million. Brutal. 

If they had gone ahead and made another cheap low end portable like a DS3 instead of a Switch, they would have sold maybe 50 million units, the 3DS still benefitted from some momentum from the DS, but that would have been long gone by the end of the 3DS' life. 

Nintendo is not able to use completely low end tech when they don't have a controller/input miracle like motion control and touch control and even then they basically need to be the only game in town for that formula to work.

I think you are not understanding that and just grouping everything together as one thing when that isn't the case. The Switch 1 was absolutely a high end chip for its time, it's basically what Sony would have used in 2016/17 themselves to succeed the Vita. If Nintendo has used some garbage chip, I doubt the Switch 1 is anywhere near as successful, as I said I put a DS3 or 3DS-2 (whatever you want to call it) as something that maybe sells 50 million, probably not even that. 

The Switch concept is based on being reasonably close to console style gaming just being able to play that anywhere. That concept doesn't work if the chip is too far behind relevant bench posts for what people consider "console gaming". 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 22 September 2023

soiswitch

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

Nintendo using outdated technology really only works when they have a monopoly on low-budget/blue ocean consumers. 

From 2004-2010 they basically had a monopoly on non-gamers with the DS and Wii and sales were great. No problem. 

What happens in 2010 when Kinect, Sony Move, cheap/free iPhone touch gaming (Angry Birds) starts to take off and suddenly they are not the only ones with motion control and touch gaming?

The Wii U bombed and while they were able to will the 3DS to 74 million by throwing everything they could at it (including a massive price cut only 4 months into the product cycle) they lost half the DS user base going from 154 million to 74 million. Brutal. 

If they had gone ahead and made another cheap low end portable like a DS3 instead of a Switch, they would have sold maybe 50 million units, the 3DS still benefitted from some momentum from the DS, but that would have been long gone by the end of the 3DS' life. 

Nintendo is not able to use completely low end tech when they don't have a controller/input miracle like motion control and touch control and even then they basically need to be the only game in town for that formula to work.

I think you are not understanding that and just grouping everything together as one thing when that isn't the case. The Switch 1 was absolutely a high end chip for its time, it's basically what Sony would have used in 2016/17 themselves to succeed the Vita. If Nintendo has used some garbage chip, I doubt the Switch 1 is anywhere near as successful, as I said I put a DS3 or 3DS-2 (whatever you want to call it) as something that maybe sells 50 million, probably not even that. 

The Switch concept is based on being reasonably close to console style gaming just being able to play that anywhere. That concept doesn't work if the chip is too far behind relevant bench posts for what people consider "console gaming". 

Switch 2 with 8nm will be more powerful then steam deck thanks to dlss and much closer to consoles  then switch was, so i don't get your point. further nintendo could have had  pro version 3 years ago, and close the gap even further if they really cared about the home console power gap but oh well.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 22 September 2023

SvennoJ said:

I'm in the market for a Macbook, I finally decided to give up on Windows. I've been dealing with KB5030211 won't finish installing (0x800f0922) for over a week, every restart it tries to finish updating gets to 96% and undoes the changes again for 5 minutes, it takes forever now to 'boot' up. I always seem to run into trouble with Windows.

But I guess I'll hang on for another 6 months until the M3 ones drop. They're twice as expensive as a gaming laptop, but since I basically have to buy a new one every 3 years, it will be a lot cheaper in the long run. Macs last a lot longer, while my Predator Helios from 2019 is on life support.
The new 4060 cards only have 8GB RAM so not even a good upgrade for FS2020 and tbh I rarely game on PC anymore anyway. Not enough time for it all and PC goes to the back of the queue since it's always the most work to keep things running.
I do like to do video editing, however the software I use on Windows now deems my camara's file format too old (MTS2), is very slow after the last updates and keeps crashing whenever I try to edit more than 2 tracks... Useless. At least Mac should be good for video editing.
Plus Windows 11, ugh, it's on my kid's new PC. It's a mess again. I rather learn how to use a Mac at this point.

So Apple bringing some more games to its eco system is great news, the final push I needed to come to abandon Windows. And just looking maybe a Mac Mini will suit me fine since I really just use a laptop for space saving. Hang the little box under the table and all I need is a keyboard and small monitor. I'll be keeping an eye on what Apple is doing.

Now back to effing (0x800f0922), tons of 'solutions' on the web, none working so far.

I'd try a base M3 Mac mini with 16 gb of RAM (?$799) when it releases on the standard 2 week trial period Apple gives you. I did this with the Mac mini M1 paired with LG Ergo display and I was sold on the experience, I still returned it and got a MacBook after but wanted a "taste" before switching. Universal Control and Sidecar are good to try on the Mac if you have an iPad.