By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple iPhone 15 Pro Will Have Console Games (RE4R, RE Village, Assassin's Creed, DS)

Surprised at the amount of people who don't have high-end phones these days.

My S23 Ultra... 12GB ram, 1440P 120hz display, 10-Core CPU, Adreno 740 is extremely capable... I do notice the difference stepping down to only a 1080P low-end/Mid-range device.

Still one thing to keep in mind is that... Yes they can post impressive performance numbers.
But... They are phones with no active cooling (mostly), so they can have extremely impressive burst performance, but then thermal throttling kicks in and performance will tank, consoles are still safe.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

So resident evil village run 720p at 30fps lol on TV through USB from a iPhone 15 pro.

zeldaring said:

So resident evil village run 720p at 30fps lol on TV through USB from a iPhone 15 pro.

Really?  If that is true that is even worse than I was expecting and I wasn't expecting much.

Edit

I'm not being fair.  It isn't that I wasn't expecting much.  It was the "ps5 visuals" was laughable to me.  720p and 30 fps is solid for a tiny device.  I'm not selling my ps5, but mobile chips have come a long way.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 21 September 2023

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Pemalite said:

My S23 Ultra... 12GB ram, 1440P 120hz display, 10-Core CPU, Adreno 740 is extremely capable... I do notice the difference stepping down to only a 1080P low-end/Mid-range device.

Still one thing to keep in mind is that... Yes they can post impressive performance numbers.
But... They are phones with no active cooling (mostly), so they can have extremely impressive burst performance, but then thermal throttling kicks in and performance will tank, consoles are still safe.

Honestly I don't much care for phones.  I'm too easy to get ahold of.  Nothing better than leaving the phone at home and going fishing.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

Really?  If that is true that is even worse than I was expecting and I wasn't expecting much.

Edit

I'm not being fair.  It isn't that I wasn't expecting much.  It was the "ps5 visuals" was laughable to me.  720p and 30 fps is solid for a tiny device.  I'm not selling my ps5, but mobile chips have come a long way.  

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/iphone-15-pro-max-resident-evil-on-external-screen-via-usb-c.1661337/

Here is a link.  Yea I mean thus thread made it seem like it would match the Asus rog.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

Edit

It's get worse it's on lowest setting so doesn't even match ps4.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Edit

It's get worse it's on lowest setting so doesn't even match ps4.

Which doesn't surprise me.  A phone matching a home console was never realistic.  We tried to tell'em

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
Pemalite said:

Honestly I don't much care for phones.  I'm too easy to get ahold of.  Nothing better than leaving the phone at home and going fishing.

While I am waiting for my iPhone Pro to arrive, I RARELY recommend the high end iPhone to anybody. 

One can buy a previous model or the iPhone SE (with an Apple chip that outperforms the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra) and an Apple Watch and AirPods for less than what the iPhone Pro costs..... and they'd get a more compelling "ecosystem" exposure since these products work exceptionally well together, which is the major selling point of the experience (I started with an iPad then an MacBook and now I am an Apple sheep waiting for the Pro & Airpods to arrive ).

I know someone who got the iPad Mini (to use as a phone), the 2nd gen Apple Pencil and the AirPods and paid less than she would've if she bought the iPhone Pro, and she would've bought the Apple Watch if it didn't need an iPhone to work. 

As for the A17, iPhone Silicon quickly trickles down (and now upwards to the Macs and sideways between the two), it won't be long before the base iPad, iPhone SE and iPad min to be equipped with the A17 chip, which is really what generate the excitement as it brings the "universal apps" project, that's been in the works for a decade, much closer to reality. 

While Soundwave has unique hot takes every now and then, the majority of Apple forums are laughing off Apple's gaming efforts, the Switch's success is frequently used to point out how Apple doesn't get classic/traditional gaming, the majority aren't buying the hype, go for an SE and buy the Switch with the left over money if you're that desperate to have an iPhone, this idea that people aren't going to buy both just to save money is silly lol

Not to mention, the A17 perfomance is actually not that far from the A16, the biggest improvements are not in in GPU or CPU perfomance, the improvements are the neural engine and the fact that it's architecturally even closer MacBooks chips, but perfomance wise? it's not a game changer, no more than ones before it anyway. 

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 21 September 2023

LurkerJ said:
Chrkeller said:

While I am waiting for my iPhone Pro to arrive, I RARELY recommend the high end iPhone to anybody. 

One can buy a previous model or the iPhone SE (with an Apple chip that outperforms the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra) and an Apple Watch and AirPods for less than what the iPhone Pro costs..... and they'd get a more compelling "ecosystem" exposure since these products work exceptionally well together, which is the major selling point of the experience (I started with an iPad then an MacBook and now I am an Apple sheep waiting for the Pro & Airpods to arrive ).

I know someone who got the iPad Mini (to use as a phone), the 2nd gen Apple Pencil and the AirPods and paid less than she would've if she bought the iPhone Pro, and she would've bought the Apple Watch if it didn't need an iPhone to work. 

As for the A17, iPhone Silicon quickly trickles down (and now upwards to the Macs and sideways between the two), it won't be long before the base iPad, iPhone SE and iPad min to be equipped with the A17 chip, which is really what generate the excitement as it brings the "universal apps" project, that's been in the works for a decade, much closer to reality. 

While Soundwave has unique hot takes every now and then, the majority of Apple forums are laughing off Apple's gaming efforts, the Switch's success is frequently used to point out how Apple doesn't get classic/traditional gaming, the majority aren't buying the hype, go for an SE and buy the Switch with the left over money if you're that desperate to have an iPhone, this idea that people aren't going to buy both just to save money is silly lol

Not to mention, the A17 perfomance is actually not that far from the A16, the biggest improvements are not in in GPU or CPU perfomance, the improvements are the neural engine and the fact that it's architecturally even closer MacBooks chips, but perfomance wise? it's not a game changer, no more than ones before it anyway. 

iPads will have M3 chips soon ... that's what your not getting. That thing will destroy an A17 chip, it will probably destroy a Steam Deck. RE4 Remake on an M2/M3 iPad will run very well and have that gorgeous larger screen display AND that version of the game will also work on your iPhone 15 Pro/Max if you have that phone so that game travels everywhere with you giving you the option to play (yes at lower settings) where ever you want. Still a pretty compelling overall setup. 

The A17 in the iPhone is just the beginning. This is the worst it will be, it will improve every year from this point going forward (PS4-range) that's also overlooked.

Also barely no one pays full price for their iPhone. This board is laughably out of touch with how normal people get devices like this. Most people will trade in their older iPhone or sell it and get a substantial (up to $1000 off) amount on the price of the new phone and then the new phone can be subsidized on top of that by only having to pay monthly payments instead of having to pay upfront everything. Most people just walk into an Apple store and get their phone really for as little of a day 1 payment as like $30-$40. That keeps people locked into the ecoystem because they will trade in their phone every 1-2 years and Apple iPhones hold their value on the resale market tremendously well. 

iPhone Pro models can sell like 50-60 million in 6 months ... no game console is even remotely that mainstream or could ever dream of having sales that high. These are not niche devices that no one can afford, the sales/shipment numbers speak for themselves, if that's niche, then every game console is a tiny niche. 

We'll see in 2 years when the M4/M5 chip iPads are getting more and more AAA games and the iPhone 17 has considerably better performance than this phone and is also getting those same games. RE 4 Remake, RE Village, Assassin's Creed Mirage, and Death Stranding are only the beginning for big console style games made specifically for Apple silicon, there will be a lot more coming starting next year. 

Unlike traditional game platforms, an iPhone improves in performance every year. Like the 15 Pro Max absolutely destroys the iPhone 12 from 3 years ago in performance, but there's really nothing that's ever take advantage of all that power -- until now. No single iPhone is a massive leap by itself, but you aggregate it to 3 years and all of the sudden the performance delta becomes huge. And Apple gets the absolute cutting edge of chip tech every year too ... TSMC basically gave them their entire 3nm production for all of 2023, so no one else, not Samsung, not Google, not Microsoft, not Nvidia gets 3nm TSMC this year, which is basically the best chip node. Only Apple ... that's some crazy sway they have, because they sell so many iPhones and iPads they get access to the best before other companies. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 21 September 2023

So let's say it's 900p 30 fps lowest settings, that's still better than Xbox One which never even got this remake, but yeah that's a $1200 phone, not many people outside US, Japan and western Europe will buy such phone.