By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor - Nintendo to join the VR industry?

the-pi-guy said:
Mar1217 said:

Maaaann ... I'm right about ordering the Quest 3 but I think I'll just wait to finish the upcoming releases for this year. So prolly not before this Holiday.

Also people speaking of VR with the size form of glasses ... Maybe ? That wouldn't work immersion wise since VR is suppose to cut you from real world stimuli.

What people have been clamoring more so are experiences akin to something like Sword Art Online.
Afull dive type of VR.

You don't need glasses that are that large to cut you off from the world:

This is pretty much what we have right now, and a lot of these components will surely be made smaller:

With all due respect, as someone that uses "normal glasses", this looks impossible to use. Not a good desing at all since it excludes people with glasses.

VR headsets needs to be ble to acomodate glasses, IMHO, PSVR Headset is the best and most confortable that i have tested. Sure it looks big and bulky, but it's a need to acomodate "normal glasses".

Around the Network
Manlytears said:

With all due respect, as someone that uses "normal glasses", this looks impossible to use. Not a good desing at all since it excludes people with glasses.

VR headsets needs to be ble to acomodate glasses, IMHO, PSVR Headset is the best and most confortable that i have tested. Sure it looks big and bulky, but it's a need to acomodate "normal glasses".

I wear glasses, friend.

The kind of thing that I'm talking about, would enable someone with near sightedness to be able to use a headset without having to wear their glasses.  

Maybe you feel differently, but I think I'd rather have a VR headset that incorporates the glasses in a way that replaces the latter during use, instead of accommodates them in a way that requires me to wear both. 

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 15 October 2023

Manlytears said:

Eventually VR headsets or glasses with use variable focus lenses to solve the Vergence-Accomodation conflict.
https://arinsider.co/2022/06/22/5-ways-to-address-ars-vergence-accommodation-conflict/
The solution to that may well be variable focus liquid lenses
https://www.edmundoptics.ca/knowledge-center/application-notes/imaging/liquid-lenses-in-imaging/

Either way, once focus is variable, it's just a matter of calibrating the range to adjust to the user's eyes and you won't need lens inserts nor glasses anymore while wearing a headset.

SvennoJ said:
Manlytears said:

Eventually VR headsets or glasses with use variable focus lenses to solve the Vergence-Accomodation conflict.
https://arinsider.co/2022/06/22/5-ways-to-address-ars-vergence-accommodation-conflict/
https://www.edmundoptics.ca/knowledge-center/application-notes/imaging/liquid-lenses-in-imaging/

Either way, once focus is variable, it's just a matter of calibrating the range to adjust to the user's eyes and you won't need lens inserts nor glasses anymore while wearing a headset.

Is this for real? The headset lens working as my glasses and correcting my visual problem!!! That would be bloody amazing!
hopefully this will be economically viable, and not make the Headset too expensive. 

the-pi-guy said:

I wear glasses, friend.

The kind of thing that I'm talking about, would enable someone with near sightedness to be able to use a headset without having to wear their glasses.  

Maybe you feel differently, but I think I'd rather have a VR headset that incorporates the glasses in a way that replaces the latter during use, instead of accommodates them in a way that requires me to wear both. 

Ok. Now we are talking! That Headset corrects my visual problems!?! Realy!? That's amazing stuff!! Using a small headset that replaces my glasses and corrects my sight is the best possible solution for sure.

Last edited by Manlytears - on 15 October 2023

I want ports of all the Virtual Boy games. Make them full colour and re-release them! ;)

Around the Network
Manlytears said:
SvennoJ said:

Is this for real? The headset lens working as my glasses and correcting my visual problem!!! That would be bloody amazing!
hopefully this will be economically viable, and not make the Headset too expensive. 

the-pi-guy said:

I wear glasses, friend.

Ok. Now we are talking! That Headset corrects my visual problems!?! Realy!? That's amazing stuff!! Using a small headset that replaces my glasses and corrects my sight is the best possible solution for sure.

You can already get prescription lens inserts so you don't have to wear glasses
https://vr-lens-lab.com/
Send them your prescription and what headset you want them for and they'll custom make you a pair to clip on inside the headset.
Some people also order these with no prescription as a safety shield so the non replace-able VR lenses don't get damaged.

In the future the headset will calibrate itself to your eyes so multiple users can use the headset (without having to swap inserts). Yet for now it's all still fixed focal length, hence the inserts.

It's coming for regular glasses as well
https://www.deepoptics.com/

It will be expensive at first, just like early headsets. Prices will come down once the tech catches on and this could be revolutionary for glasses wearers. I have to take my glasses off when using my laptop (near sighted) but need to wear them in the headset (and for driving obviously).

Got a damn good experience with two hours of Beat Saber tonight. Freaking heck ! It's an addicting feeling to play this game ^^

Battery lasted about 2 hours like expected. The headstrap is .... Not decent, but it'll do until I get a better headstrap to replace it with. It's manageable without feeling too much pressure thankfully 👌

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

I'm still on the fence about Nintendo joining the VR industry. LABO VR seems to have been a big improvement over the Virtual Boy days, but still.

VR also really needs some good hardware to run on. Last night I played Paper Beast enhanced edition and Paradise Hotel on PSVR2. Sharp, steady visuals with realistic lighting complete the experience. Paradise Hotel not only looks sharp, it runs at a locked 120fps which makes it feel all the more solid. Red Matter 2 also stands out thanks to great use of foveated rendering, realistic lighting and solid 90fps.

So as much as I would love to play Nintendo games in VR, mobile hardware isn't going to cut it for the full experience. PSVR2 is still on the low side resolution wise, yet super sampling and HDR visuals help a lot to keep the suspension of disbelief. Of course cell shaded games don't need the best lighting nor resolution so plenty Nintendo games will make a great fit for VR. Same as Beat Saber and Synthriders don't need all that much processing power and Astrobot was amazing on PSVR1's VHS quality visuals.

Anyway I hope if Nintendo joins VR, it will be with a complete headset. Not having to slide the Switch 2 into a head strap with the added weight and heat all at the front. But maybe as an option. A cheap head strap you can slide Switch 2 in and a dedicated headset that links to Switch 2 in docked mode for better visuals and a more processing grunt. The head strap to get people to try out VR, then the option to move on to more comfort and improved visuals.
Not sure how to solve tracking with a hybrid solution like that though :/

SvennoJ said:

VR also really needs some good hardware to run on. Last night I played Paper Beast enhanced edition and Paradise Hotel on PSVR2. Sharp, steady visuals with realistic lighting complete the experience. Paradise Hotel not only looks sharp, it runs at a locked 120fps which makes it feel all the more solid. Red Matter 2 also stands out thanks to great use of foveated rendering, realistic lighting and solid 90fps.

So as much as I would love to play Nintendo games in VR, mobile hardware isn't going to cut it for the full experience. PSVR2 is still on the low side resolution wise, yet super sampling and HDR visuals help a lot to keep the suspension of disbelief. Of course cell shaded games don't need the best lighting nor resolution so plenty Nintendo games will make a great fit for VR. Same as Beat Saber and Synthriders don't need all that much processing power and Astrobot was amazing on PSVR1's VHS quality visuals.

Anyway I hope if Nintendo joins VR, it will be with a complete headset. Not having to slide the Switch 2 into a head strap with the added weight and heat all at the front. But maybe as an option. A cheap head strap you can slide Switch 2 in and a dedicated headset that links to Switch 2 in docked mode for better visuals and a more processing grunt. The head strap to get people to try out VR, then the option to move on to more comfort and improved visuals.
Not sure how to solve tracking with a hybrid solution like that though :/

Obviously there just going to make that Mario Kart VR game or update to play it on MK9 and it'll follow suit to become the best selling VR headset in the world. Such is the power of Mario Kart !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909