By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony raising PS Plus price by 33%

My guess would be that Sony pays around a dollar per month and subscriber for the included games. With 50M subs that’s still a buttload of money. So I guess they could create a tier without games included at $70 while still making the same profit. But is it even worth the hassle? They’d also have less impressive games to show if people moved to the lower tier.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

1.5x the cost but online is free and the GPU can be upgraded without buying the inevitable Pro.  Over the long haul I think PC is now cheaper.  

I have a spare PC that I built during the Xbox 360 generation that is playing Series X equivalent games. - The only piece of hardware changed in those 12 years? The GPU.

I would have needed to buy 3 consoles in that span.

Over the long haul, if you buy the right PC, it can last a couple of console generations easily enough.

SvennoJ said:

Well it is now (better performing) for 1.5x the price, 3 years after the PS5 launched.

Upgrading is not necessarily cheaper. A 4060 costs less than a PS5 yet only has 8GB RAM on board instead of 12GB on the 3060 (NVidea ugh). The cheapest 4070 12GB card (looking on Newegg.ca) is still more expensive than the ps5 (CA 805, PS5 is CA 650, PC was CA 1000)

It's no secret that hardware prices in general has been bullshit the last several years due to COVID and Crypto.

Ram on PC and Playstation is also not comparable, PC loads assets differently to a console and has a memory hierarchy to obfuscate latency and bandwidth as much as possible.

Consequently you are ignoring last generation PC hardware that is often found cheaper than current gen hardware.

I.E. A Radeon 6700XT/6750XT is -the- best bang for buck GPU currently.

But you cannot discount the Geforce 20 series either as they can be found cheaply and are surprisingly capable.

The other advantage the PC has is... We don't need to engage in the console war.
Playstation exclusives? We get those. Xbox exclusives? We get those too. - Best of both gaming worlds. - We don't have to miss out on StarCitizen like Playstation gamers, but we also don't miss out on The Last of Us like Xbox gamers.

V-r0cK said:

The whole point was to have a $1100 budget and see what you get with it. The fact that you're not starting from scratch with your library makes your points invalid but cool to see you jump on PC's defense so fast without understanding the initial discussion. You new at reading?

If you had even bothered to read my reply (Are -you- new at reading? Or just enjoy wasting time?) then you would have found I had outlaid several options for gamers on PC to build a games library from nothing.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Chrkeller said:

1.5x the cost but online is free and the GPU can be upgraded without buying the inevitable Pro.  Over the long haul I think PC is now cheaper.  

I have a spare PC that I built during the Xbox 360 generation that is playing Series X equivalent games. - The only piece of hardware changed in those 12 years? The GPU.

Over the long haul, if you buy the right PC, it can last a couple of console generations easily enough.

What are the full specs?  

VAMatt said:
dharh said:

That part I kind of agree on. Like I can sort of get trying to recoup costs for running PSN, but it should not be that high for essential. Or at least they should have like a 4.99 price point for Plus Base (no Monthly games, Exclusive discounts, or whatever) that covers purely the cost of running PSN for 1 person. 

They're not in the business of selling things at cost. Sony exists to make as much money as possible. 

Playing online via the ps5...  they don't have dedicated servers.  What overhead cost does Sony have for online play and how is it free on PC?

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Norion said:
Pemalite said:

What are the full specs?  

Core i7 3930K @ 4.6Ghz - 6 cores, 12 threads.
DDR3 1600Mhz - 32GB, quad channel.

GPU it has currently is a Radeon RX 6600XT same GPU as my Ryzen 5950 rig.

Once I can find a cheap 2nd hand 10 core Xeon 2690 V2 or an unlocked 8 core Ivy 1680, I'll drop one in to give it a few extra years of life and keep it humming as my transcode server.

Still doing Starfield, 30fps, 1440P, FSR2... Let's see the Xbox One or Xbox 360 do that...

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Permalite knows way more than me, but I echo his point. I have a $800 laptop that has a 3050.... games shockingly run better than console gamers are likely to think.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Pemalite said:
Norion said:

What are the full specs?  

Core i7 3930K @ 4.6Ghz - 6 cores, 12 threads.
DDR3 1600Mhz - 32GB, quad channel.

GPU it has currently is a Radeon RX 6600XT same GPU as my Ryzen 5950 rig.

Once I can find a cheap 2nd hand 10 core Xeon 2690 V2 or an unlocked 8 core Ivy 1680, I'll drop one in to give it a few extra years of life and keep it humming as my transcode server.

Still doing Starfield, 30fps, 1440P, FSR2... Let's see the Xbox One or Xbox 360 do that...

Cool that a CPU from back then can still keep up with CPU demanding games today. I would've thought that Starfield would be too much for any CPU that old but seems if you get high-end hardware it really can last a very long time now.

am i correct the individual monthly prices are the same

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Skeeuk said:

am i correct the individual monthly prices are the same

Monthly prices haven't changed.

Chrkeller said:
VAMatt said:

They're not in the business of selling things at cost. Sony exists to make as much money as possible. 

Playing online via the ps5...  they don't have dedicated servers.  What overhead cost does Sony have for online play and how is it free on PC?

No idea.  But, that's not relevant.  What matters is how much the market is willing to pay.