By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 28, 2023 (Jul 03 - Jul 09)

Everybody 1-2 Switch... I can't remember another game, which sold in its second week better than in its launch week...

Around the Network

Seems like the Switch baseline is somewhere between 80-110k, depending on the shipments.

siebensus4 said:

Everybody 1-2 Switch... I can't remember another game, which sold in its second week better than in its launch week...

Games rarely megabomb so much that they can't even achieve 20% sell-through their initial week. Likely the increase is from some discounts by retailers trying to clear shelf space.

Shatts said:

Dang what happened to Xbox, looks like the fever time ended quickly. Also I wonder why PS4 is increasing in sales. It's not like PS5 has supply issues anymore. Kind of odd it's consistently selling thousands now when it was only selling 12 last year.

It feels like the Switch is going to surpass last year's YTD which is crazy to think about in its 7th year and weak holiday start.

There was a promotion for the Xbox Series S in Japan. Those who purchased a Series S from June 13 to 25 got a free gift card worth 4,000 yen. That is why sales went up as much as it did for a few weeks last month.

https://news.xbox.com/ja-jp/2023/06/13/xbox-series-s-512-gb-4000-campaign/

Last edited by trunkswd - on 13 July 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

The hate the 1-2 Switch games get is just absurd to me.
I've actually played the first one and it was a blast w/ my cousins. A stupid good time.

Don't knock it 'til you try it.

Around the Network
archbrix said:
jvmkdg said:

good sales for the ps5 which should reach 4 million by the end of july. if ps5 manages to reach 5 million by the end of the year i believe it can even surpass wii sales in japan. Numbers Sony hasn't seen since the psp

Unless Switch 2 straight up bombs in Japan, there's no way PS5 is reaching the Wii's 12.7m.  It just ain't in the cards.  The PS5 matching the PS4's performance is a far more realistic goal - and even then, it definitely has its work cut out for it.

I don't think it'll be that difficult. With a significant 640k lead and a 2028 release looking likely for the PS6 I'd say it's probably favoured for the PS5 at this point.

PAOerfulone said:

The hate the 1-2 Switch games get is just absurd to me.
I've actually played the first one and it was a blast w/ my cousins. A stupid good time.

Don't knock it 'til you try it.

Same I don't think it's a bad game either, it's just that most people wish it was bundled with the console and instead of a sequel use those resources on games that has more demand like Ring Fit Adventure 2, Switch Party, etc. 

trunkswd said:
Shatts said:

Dang what happened to Xbox, looks like the fever time ended quickly. Also I wonder why PS4 is increasing in sales. It's not like PS5 has supply issues anymore. Kind of odd it's consistently selling thousands now when it was only selling 12 last year.

It feels like the Switch is going to surpass last year's YTD which is crazy to think about in its 7th year and weak holiday start.

There was a promotion for the Xbox Series S in Japan. Those who purchased a Series S from June 13 to 25 got a free gift card worth 4,000 yen. That is why sales went up as much as it did for a few weeks last month.

I see forgot about that. I kinda find it funny because that 4000 yen is probably the amount Microsoft raised prices in Japan. So technically it just returned to its former price disguised as a good deal. 
Also do you have an idea why PS4 sales are increasing year to year? 

Shatts said:
trunkswd said:

I see forgot about that. I kinda find it funny because that 4000 yen is probably the amount Microsoft raised prices in Japan. So technically it just returned to its former price disguised as a good deal. 

I don't really know the cause of the PS4 sales being up so much year-on-year. Other than maybe there being next to no stock a year ago and there now being stock available. Though, it does seem like Sony has discontinued the PS4 as they stopped giving shipment figures. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
Shatts said:

I don't really know the cause of the PS4 sales being up so much year-on-year. Other than maybe there being next to no stock a year ago and there now being stock available. Though, it does seem like Sony has discontinued the PS4 as they stopped giving shipment figures. 

That's incredibly odd. At those numbers around 6% of people buying a PS console that week are choosing to buy a PS4.