By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Discuss the state of the forums and find solutions

trunkswd said:

The ads definitely don't help. I use the site on my phone from time to time and as a supporter I don't see ads. It runs well enough. 

do you know who is in charge of how ads are decided and/or placed on the site? they're so aggressively egregious that it definitely doesn't help traffic on mobile. obviously there should be incentive for people to sign up for supporter but, the site shouldn't be nearly unusable on mobile for those that aren't. 

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
trunkswd said:

The ads definitely don't help. I use the site on my phone from time to time and as a supporter I don't see ads. It runs well enough. 

do you know who is in charge of how ads are decided and/or placed on the site? they're so aggressively egregious that it definitely doesn't help traffic on mobile. obviously there should be incentive for people to sign up for supporter but, the site shouldn't be nearly unusable on mobile for those that aren't. 

There are two things the team is not allowed to touch on the site. 1. the logo and 2. the ads. Although if the ads are that bad and people want to post screenshots showing show bad it is (whether on mobile or on desktop) we can send those along to the site owner and see if something can be improved.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
TruckOSaurus said:

It's the ads that fuck up everything. Without the ads it's perfectly readable.

The site "runs" well enough on mobile.  Like, it loads and buttons take you where you need to go.  

But that's where the positives end.  The window slides all over the place when viewing a thread.  Don't know why it does that and it really should be locked in place with only up and down movement allowed. Using the post editing tools is basically a nightmare, so you're best off just making a simple reply.  Don't bother quoting anyone or trying to fix quote trees...that is the path to frustration and vexation.  Also, the VGC Buddy gives me double errors every time I try to use it.

I know these are comments best sent to the website discussion thread...but I just wanted to chime in that ads are not the only problem with what should be the highest, highest, highest priority for this site in 2023.  I'm not even sure if the kids of today know what a desktop looks like.

Leynos said:
SuperJortendo said:

I agree with everyone who said has dropped off because of the lack of real console wars. I remember when I first started coming here people cared so much more about their console of choice. I remember when Chad Warden made that ps triple video and people lost their shit. Including me haha. Good times.

Don't forget (he has also made one for PS4 and PS5)

LOL!  I've never seen this video before, but that is hilarious.  It kind of makes me want to go out and buy 3 PS3's.

trunkswd said:
NintendoPie said:

There are two things the team is not allowed to touch on the site. 1. the logo and 2. the ads. Although if the ads are that bad and people want to post screenshots showing show bad it is (whether on mobile or on desktop) we can send those along to the site owner and see if something can be improved.

Talon and I found that out the hard way

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
trunkswd said:

Talon and I found that out the hard way

I need to know what happened.

trunkswd said:

I recorded a video of how the ads can look on mobile: https://imgur.io/a/X47y9x8

Imgur limits video clips to one minute but the ads stop shortly after that mark.

Normally it’s only three of those ads in a row but since I don’t use the the site on mobile I don’t know, maybe it’s gotten worse. As you can see it’s impossible to browse while the ads are running.

I didn’t even know there was a VGC subscription btw.

BonfiresDown said:
trunkswd said:

I recorded a video of how the ads can look on mobile: https://imgur.io/a/X47y9x8

Imgur limits video clips to one minute but the ads stop shortly after that mark.

Normally it’s only three of those ads in a row but since I don’t use the the site on mobile I don’t know, maybe it’s gotten worse. As you can see it’s impossible to browse while the ads are running.

I can't even touch mine anywhere to be able to scroll.  Completely unusable.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

BonfiresDown said:
trunkswd said:

Okay that is really bad. I didn't know how bad it got. All the money from VGC Supporter program goes to the team that keeps the site going. Main perk for it is to remove ads. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

super_etecoon said:
trunkswd said:

The site "runs" well enough on mobile.  Like, it loads and buttons take you where you need to go.  

But that's where the positives end.  The window slides all over the place when viewing a thread.  Don't know why it does that and it really should be locked in place with only up and down movement allowed. Using the post editing tools is basically a nightmare, so you're best off just making a simple reply.  Don't bother quoting anyone or trying to fix quote trees...that is the path to frustration and vexation.  Also, the VGC Buddy gives me double errors every time I try to use it.

I know these are comments best sent to the website discussion thread...but I just wanted to chime in that ads are not the only problem with what should be the highest, highest, highest priority for this site in 2023.  I'm not even sure if the kids of today know what a desktop looks like.

I appreciate people chiming in and showing how bad the are on mobile and other issues. It's a small team of mainly volunteers that keep the site running. When it comes to the ads the more evidence of how bad it is the more likely something will be done about it.