By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 27, 2023 (Jun 26 - Jul 02)

Farsala said:

I am fairly sure CESA is in May. It just depends how long someone (Chris) translates everything and readies the list to release to the public.

No you're completely wrong. It was in May once last year because it was delayed from the previous summer because of Covid. The very next one was on August 29th last year.

On Installbase several Japanese speaking members had the book pretty quickly and one of them posted the stuff there very quickly. You don't need to translate everything if 90% of the game sales didn't change at all from the previous year and it would never take that long anyways. It's just numbers and game names. This isn't like localizing a game. And it's released to the public by CESA, not a random individual on the internet.

Here's a link:

Post in thread 'Nintendo software and hardware sales data from 1983 to present' https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/nintendo-software-and-hardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.170/post-97338

I just checked and it seems it is likely to be August 23rd this year since CESA has some event there.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 08 July 2023

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Farsala said:

I am fairly sure CESA is in May. It just depends how long someone (Chris) translates everything and readies the list to release to the public.

No you're completely wrong. It was in May once last year because it was delayed from the previous summer because of Covid. The very next one was on August 29th last year.

On Installbase several Japanese speaking members had the book pretty quickly and one of them posted the stuff there very quickly. You don't need to translate everytging if 90% of the game sales didn't change at all from the previous year and it would never take that long anyways. It's just numbers and game names. This isn't like localizing a game. And it's released to the public by CESA, not a random individual on the internet.

Here's a link:

Post in thread 'Nintendo software and hardware sales data from 1983 to present' https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/nintendo-software-and-hardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.170/post-97338

I just checked and it seems it is likely to be August 23rd this year since CESA has some event there.

They said that it's coming out in late July on their website:

https://www.cesa.or.jp/survey/

Megiddo said:
Soundwave said:

Zelda and Final Fantasy have basically flip flopped in Japan from 20 years ago.

Final Fantasy X destroyed Zelda: Wind Waker sales (and FF7 destroyed Ocarina of Time).

Now it's the reverse, Tears of the Kingdom is demolishing Final Fantasy XVI and BOTW destroyed FF7 Remake.

It's almost like in Japan the PS2 was massively more popular than the Gamecube, and now the Switch is massively more popular than the PS4/PS5.

Abandoning the dedicated home console was a great decision for Nintendo. They no longer have to deal with N64/Gamecube/Wii U level of flops in Japan.

I agree, that was the best move that Nintendo has ever done.

Megiddo said:
zorg1000 said:

I feel like you’re changing goalposts. So the discussion isn’t about individual titles selling better?

I think it's more like you were aiming at the wrong goal. My original statement was "Gotta love thinly veiled port begging that utterly fails to see the upward global momentum that the Final Fantasy franchise continues to have." So to me, the franchise selling 10 million more games in the past 7.5 years than it did in the prior 10 years definitely means that there is indeed upward global momentum for the franchise, so the data I provided fully backed up what I initially stated. 

I’m looking at your original statement and I don’t see how it relates to your most recent post.

“Thinly veiled port begging that fails to see the upward global momentum” does not imply talking about the combined sales of multiple titles, most people will take that as saying an individual title is showing growth compared to its predecessors therefore there is no need to port the game to other platforms.

You: upward global momentum

me: based on what? shipments are way down from last mainline title

you: XV was way over-shipped

me: so what’s the evidence for momentum? retail sales are down in markets we have data for

you: retail is declining but digital makes more money for publishers

me: so what points to upward momentum

you: total sales of multiple titles across multiple platforms over multiple years

You didn’t even mention total franchise sales until multiple posts later and multiple times being asked for evidence which leads me to believe you had to go look up something that would support your original comment.

And even then I don’t think it’s as good of an argument as you believe it is, the increase in sales is from releasing dozens of titles (spin-offs/ports/remasters/remakes) across multiple different platforms/ecosystems (PS/XB/PC/Nintendo/mobile) so the “port begging” absolutely makes sense in this case and the series would probably benefit from putting mainline titles on Switch in addition to XB/PC.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

deerox said:
Kakadu18 said:

On Installbase several Japanese speaking members had the book pretty quickly and one of them posted the stuff there very quickly. You don't need to translate everything if 90% of the game sales didn't change at all from the previous year and it would never take that long anyways. It's just numbers and game names. This isn't like localizing a game. And it's released to the public by CESA, not a random individual on the internet.

Here's a link:

They said that it's coming out in late July on their website:

https://www.cesa.or.jp/survey/

Thanks, that's great. The earlier the better.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Farsala said:

Here's a link:

weird. some people ask Chris for CEsA sneak peaks, and he seems to provide. I am not a member and I don't frequent those forums often, so I can't check the post in question.

zorg1000 said:
Megiddo said:

I think it's more like you were aiming at the wrong goal. My original statement was "Gotta love thinly veiled port begging that utterly fails to see the upward global momentum that the Final Fantasy franchise continues to have." So to me, the franchise selling 10 million more games in the past 7.5 years than it did in the prior 10 years definitely means that there is indeed upward global momentum for the franchise, so the data I provided fully backed up what I initially stated. 

putting mainline titles on Switch in addition to XB/PC.

Not on the Switch. Games don't need to be on the Switch to succeed, the Switch would prevent technically advanced Final Fantasy games. I would be okay if Nintendo was still doing good hardwares but that's not the case anymore. I don't want Final Fantasy to regress technically for 10k more sales. Fortunatly that will never happen. I think VII Remake (Part. 1) could be on Switch 2 since it was on PS4 but not FFXVI or Rebirth (perhaps for Switch 3 tho).

Guy is literally begging for a port to cardboard hardware... come on, if Remake trilogy and 16 are doing 8 million each at least (on PC/PS), Square Enix won't do multiplatform FF and since it's probably doing these numbers, it will stay like that. I have nothing against the fact to release it on Xbox' platforms tho since it doesn't harm technically this saga.

If all games were to be released on Nintendo platforms, it would be a nightmare for technical progress. Go beg for a Call Of Duty's port on Switch instead, I have no interest on this saga. lol

Last edited by -Adonis- - on 09 July 2023

Wyrdness said:
Megiddo said:

It's almost like in Japan the PS2 was massively more popular than the Gamecube, and now the Switch is massively more popular than the PS4/PS5.

Abandoning the dedicated home console was a great decision for Nintendo. They no longer have to deal with N64/Gamecube/Wii U level of flops in Japan.

Wii outsold PS3 yet FFXIII still outsold both Zelda games on Wii combined in the region, userbase was never the factor in FF outselling Zelda in Japan to further highlight this even the portable Zelda games were easily outsold by FF in the region and they're the most successful platforms in the country as XIII even outsold both DS games combined as well as nearly matching all four 3DS games by itself in the region. It comes down to appeal in the games have switched in the region.

Yep, which is why I think if Square-Enix ever wants mainline FF to be a 1.25+ million seller in Japan ever again they're going to have to have a rethink about their Playstation-Or-Nothing strategy which is stuck in 1999. 

They need to start cultivating and building an audience for Final Fantasy on the Switch and not just with retro game projects that should have been released on Nintendo systems ages prior (we needed to wait 20+ years for FF7 on a Nintendo system? Really Square?). 

Can Square-Enix even go that much higher with the visual fidelity on these games without them getting into a budget range where even 8 million copies sold doesn't cut the mustard? There are ways to be intelligent about graphics these days, you could have a version that runs on Switch 2, and then have a PS5 game that has some level of ray tracing for example, which will bring the PS5's GPU to its knees since ray tracing is some computationally intense. 

If Switch sales are this high now, imagine what they're gonna be like when Mario Bros Wonder arrives.

This holiday is going to be insane, supply limitations might even become a factor again.

Regarding that previous report from a couple pages back about almost all buyers in a popular Japanese district being Chinese, I do think a lot of systems are being sold into China at this point from Japan.

No one in China wants the "official" Chinese versions of the Switch or PS5 because you're stuck playing only games approved by the Chinese gov't, every game released has to have gov't approval and there was a stretch of like 8 months where the gov't wouldn't even approve a single game because they felt like game addiction was becoming a problem, so for 8 months there were zero new releases and that can happen again when ever the gov't feels like it. If you have a Japanese model, you can play whatever you feel like and games are easy peasy to import too. Like for example Animal Crossing is even banned in China (lol), Resident Evil/Bio Hazard is banned in China, GTA is banned, etc. etc. 

Population of China is 1.4 billion (more than 10x the population of Japan), even if only a tiny fraction of those are gamers, it certainly could start to skew numbers in Japan.

Last edited by Soundwave - on 09 July 2023