By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 27, 2023 (Jun 26 - Jul 02)

For most of the year I've been tracking the switch against 2018 and 2019. Wondering where it would fall between the 2. Now I'm beginning to think I need to compare it to 2022 and figure out if it'll match or even exceed last year.

Around the Network

Switch sales remain crazy high. PS5 sales come down after the launch of FF16 but remain good. Xbox Series promotion has ended and sales have quickly dropped back down.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

No only are Switch sales up, all  switch games on the chart are up as well. Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom +4%; Mario Kart 8 Deluxe +27%; Minecraft +17%; Nintendo Switch Sports +12%; Super Smash Bros. Ultimate +25%. Some of those are big increases. Switch is doing extremely well in Japan.

A crazy Switch hardware fact is that 2023 lost the first 17 weeks to 2022 but has now won 10 weeks in a row against 2022, of course it began with the Zelda Oled model launch in week 18. Switch could also realistically win the next 7 weeks against 2022 right up until the Splatoon 3 Oled model launched in week 35, 2022.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 06 July 2023

Around the Network

this is just Crazy.... Swicth hardware and software sales are great!

Switch!!!

That's something i wasn't expecting. TotK is a way bigger system seller than i anticipated. Japan also gave lots of love to Pikmin 3 so 4 should do pretty well and keep the console at a steady pace for the summer in time for the mario games. 2D mario is huge there and will definitely give a big boost.

Funny how Zelda and Final Fantasy have basically flip flopped positions from 20 years ago, Zelda is a rising franchise in Japan with the BOTW style whereas Final Fantasy has declined hard.

As I said, Square-Enix needs to try to start to rebuild a fanbase for the main line Final Fantasy projects on the Switch going forward. FF16 and FF7 Remake ports on Switch 2 should both happen, FF17 should also be on Switch 2 along with PS5/XBox/PC. Yes, it might be a bit of a pain to port, but if the franchise is allowed to go on like this, it's going to crumble into irrelevance in Japan, which is a much bigger and worse problem for SE. 

Gotta love thinly veiled port begging that utterly fails to see the upward global momentum that the Final Fantasy franchise continues to have.

Pikmin 4 is coming for 400k debut in Japan , I fear