By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Final Fantasy XVI Discussion thread! Total Sales top 3 million!!!

Hynad said:
Leynos said:

No one wants to hear this. Final Fantasy VIIR's combat is an evolved form of Final Fantasy XII combat. While &R lets you attack more you can set it to auto-attack while using the menus to slow the action to select your next action as your party surrounds and positions the enemies. You don't see the lines but they are there. It's not a whole lot different outside of presentation.

No. Because XII’s battle system is entirely built around the gambit system which lets you “program” the behaviour of every party members. VIIR has no such thing, and is instead focused on fast real-time micro-management.

This is probably the most accurate take I've heard about both XII and VIIR's combat system. Both are great for vastly different reasons. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Hynad said:

No. Because XII’s battle system is entirely built around the gambit system which lets you “program” the behaviour of every party members. VIIR has no such thing, and is instead focused on fast real-time micro-management.

That's skills and abilities not the core mechanics of the combat itself.

You're talking about a separate mechanic.

No. I’m talking about the way both battle systems are designed differently. But sure, both put you in control of a party of 3 characters.

Ignoring Hynad since prob made another smartass post that is wrong as usual. XII and VIIR have a similar combat system from auto attack to pausing the action and switching to different party members mid-battle to select new actions and abilities from the menu. They just don't share the same level up system but Rebirth might as Square said Rebirth will build on the gambit system for Rebirth.

Did anyone notice Clive's outfit?

Spoiler!
After the second time skip. They are now faded. The red has almost turned brown. Kinda sucks as I love red armor in RPGs kinda takes away my Devil May Clive look

Or the music that played

Spoiler!
After Jill turned Shiva again post boss fight the music! Classic FF! I can't find the FF16 version on Youtube yet tho.

Anyway, I have 4 Eikon powers now. The dog buried his nose in an old tomes man's nuts. Torgal is the best RPG dog since Repede. This game is super fun.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Ignoring Hynad since prob made another smartass post that is wrong as usual.

Irony. 👌

HOLY SHIT!

Spoiler!
Cutting off Titans hands!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Just unlocked Limit Breaks. That was a hell of a fight. Anime as hell.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

So speculation (spoilers for about the 40% mark):

Spoiler!

Clive has literally a phoenix down on him, so I'm going to predict it'll be significant somehow. I'm thinking he will mutual-kill the Ultima-possessed Joshua but be revived by it.

Also, poor Clive has ED (Eikonic Dysfunction). "It comes and goes as it pleases". Thankfully for him Jill is an understanding gal.

I traveled this weekend (Holiday in my country) so I could not play it

Planning to comeback tomorrow =)

37% in. Lets try to display you progress by percentage so when have an idea where everybody is at . Give an idea if we should we be avoiding spoiler tags.

Just did the Iron Giant boss. Story was put on pause for like day! Really loved Three Reeds area. Disappointed at how we got the Devil May Clive outfit. Was expecting something a little more .... grand.

Xxain said:

37% in. Lets try to display you progress by percentage so when have an idea where everybody is at . Give an idea if we should we be avoiding spoiler tags.

Just did the Iron Giant boss. Story was put on pause for like day! Really loved Three Reeds area. Disappointed at how we got the Devil May Clive outfit. Was expecting something a little more .... grand.

I'm literally like 2 chapters ahead of you; you're into a HELL of a fight right around the corner. 

Enjoy! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX