By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Final Fantasy XVI Discussion thread! Total Sales top 3 million!!!

BasilZero said:

So is the consensus to play the game in Quality (Graphics) over Performance (FPS)?

I'd say the opposite. It's an action game, after all.

That is, unless you have a display with no VRR or FG and are way more sensitive to tearing than input lag and massive blur.

Around the Network

I am going slow, but I love it so far.

Level/world design reminds me of final Fantasy XII (which is a VERY good thing.) Same with the world building and lore. Except...the actual PLOT feels more rounded and better presented than 12. (I love 12 but I genuinely forget 90% of the plot because I never felt I was involved. I genuinely don't even remember who the antagonist is/was).

Combat has been good but I haven't really unlocked the good stuff yet.

The myriad controversies around the game all seem pretty dumb. And I'm just so exhausted when it comes to all the damn review bombing of anything Playstation on Metacritic.

"This game is too woke!"
"This game isn't woke enough!"
"This game changes things too much!"
"This game is stale"
"This game-"

It's just so goddamn exhausting. does the game have issues? yeah of course it does, but so many of the complaints are just so dumb. "I give this a 0/10 because it's not turn based'. Shut up. Just shut up. Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

haxxiy said:

I'd say the opposite. It's an action game, after all.

That is, unless you have a display with no VRR or FG and are way more sensitive to tearing than input lag and massive blur.

I suppose so but I looked at the DF video and it looks like Performance mode kicks in at 60 FPS during battle and drops to like in the 40s outside of battle.

Also it looks like the Resolution drops to 720p during battles in performance mode.

While in Graphics mode, it looks like its staying close to 30 FPS all the way.

This game would have done wonders if it was on PC likely.

Anyways, I guess I still got time, hopefully they drop a patch or two from now until the holidays to hopefully improve the performance.

Runa216 said:

I am going slow, but I love it so far.

Level/world design reminds me of final Fantasy XII (which is a VERY good thing.) Same with the world building and lore. Except...the actual PLOT feels more rounded and better presented than 12. (I love 12 but I genuinely forget 90% of the plot because I never felt I was involved. I genuinely don't even remember who the antagonist is/was).

Combat has been good but I haven't really unlocked the good stuff yet.

The myriad controversies around the game all seem pretty dumb. And I'm just so exhausted when it comes to all the damn review bombing of anything Playstation on Metacritic.

"This game is too woke!"
"This game isn't woke enough!"
"This game changes things too much!"
"This game is stale"
"This game-"

It's just so goddamn exhausting. does the game have issues? yeah of course it does, but so many of the complaints are just so dumb. "I give this a 0/10 because it's not turn based'. Shut up. Just shut up. Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad.

This is strange. Both XV and VIIR got very respectable audience scores ( XV: 7.7 and 8.7 complete royal edition - VIIR: 8.1 and 8.3 Intergrade edition ) one would expect XV have gotten most hate considering it was the pionier of action combat or VIIR for being "money hatted" to be exclusive.

No one wants to hear this. Final Fantasy VIIR's combat is an evolved form of Final Fantasy XII combat. While &R lets you attack more you can set it to auto-attack while using the menus to slow the action to select your next action as your party surrounds and positions the enemies. You don't see the lines but they are there. It's not a whole lot different outside of presentation.

Last edited by Leynos - on 24 June 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I was getting worried that FINAL FANTASY 16 was just going to be corridor fighter. The Three Reeds zone said hello. Simply a breath taking location.

I am really adoring my time with this beauty!

Xxain said:

I was getting worried that FINAL FANTASY 16 was just going to be corridor fighter. The Three Reeds zone said hello. Simply a breath taking location.

I am really adoring my time with this beauty!

I would say the level of Linearity falls somewhere between FF10 and FF12. IT's got parts that are very 'go in a straight line' like 10, but it also has reasonable room for expansion and exploration on a map akin to 12. and considering those are two of my favourite FF games, this is a good thing. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Leynos said:

No one wants to hear this. Final Fantasy VIIR's combat is an evolved form of Final Fantasy XII combat. While &R lets you attack more you can set it to auto-attack while using the menus to slow the action to select your next action as your party surrounds and positions the enemies. You don't see the lines but they are there. It's not a whole lot different outside of presentation.

Really? I would have considered FFVIIR's combat to be a evolved version of Crisis Core FFVII (PSP)'s combat lol.

I only played the demo and that was years ago, I really should play the game lol.

Leynos said:

No. Because XII’s battle system is entirely built around the gambit system which lets you “program” the behaviour of every party members. VIIR has no such thing, and is instead focused on fast real-time micro-management.

Hynad said:
Leynos said:

No. Because XII’s battle system is entirely built around the gambit system which lets you “program” the behaviour of every party members. VIIR has no such thing, and is instead focused on fast real-time micro-management.

That's skills and abilities not the core mechanics of the combat itself.

You're talking about a separate mechanic.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!