By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thoughts on the Nintendo Direct?

Slownenberg said:

Loads of games announced.

Lots of good RPG games coming.

Just in terms of first party:

- Mario RPG remake is huge.
- Obviously Mario Bros Wonder is what we've been long waiting for - a 2D Mario built on the Switch, and will likely be their final mega selling game on the system.
- A 3DS Luigi's Mansion remake gives LM fans more to play, I'm sure that'll sell pretty well.
- A Princess Peach game is cool, no idea what to expect but cool they are expanding out a game for yet another Mario character.
- New Detective Pikachu game for those fans is nice.
- HD versions of Pikmin 1 and 2, so the entire series now available on Switch, with 4 one month away, is great.
- plus other stuff

And then there's a bunch of great third party stuff coming too.

Switch may be likely getting to its last 18 or so months of its lifecycle but one thing we can say for sure is the library is gonna keep pumping out quality to the end. Hopefully early next year we'll get one last big round of announcements to carry the Switch library strong until the next gen starts.

At this point all that's left for first party games that I'm hoping to see on Switch before its days are over is DK, Star Fox, Prime 2 and 3 remasters, Zelda WW & TP HD, Mario Galaxy 2 (still miffed about why it wasn't included in 3D all-stars), Prime 4 (though starting to get the feeling it could be a launch title next gen), and maybe something like Kid Icarus. To me, if they get those last 8 or 9 games out in 2024, five of which are just ports/remasters so isn't too much to ask, the Switch will have what I would consider a complete library, in that it'd be hard to say the system missed out on much of anything in terms of bringing the full arsenal of Nintendo games out on the system.

This Direct put to rest any speculations people may have had that Switch games will be slowing down as Nintendo focuses on getting next gen ready.
This is a 10/10 Direct.

I wonder if they're hanging onto the GameCube Zeldas to fill out the next system's library. 

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:
Slownenberg said:

Loads of games announced.

Lots of good RPG games coming.

Just in terms of first party:

- Mario RPG remake is huge.
- Obviously Mario Bros Wonder is what we've been long waiting for - a 2D Mario built on the Switch, and will likely be their final mega selling game on the system.
- A 3DS Luigi's Mansion remake gives LM fans more to play, I'm sure that'll sell pretty well.
- A Princess Peach game is cool, no idea what to expect but cool they are expanding out a game for yet another Mario character.
- New Detective Pikachu game for those fans is nice.
- HD versions of Pikmin 1 and 2, so the entire series now available on Switch, with 4 one month away, is great.
- plus other stuff

And then there's a bunch of great third party stuff coming too.

Switch may be likely getting to its last 18 or so months of its lifecycle but one thing we can say for sure is the library is gonna keep pumping out quality to the end. Hopefully early next year we'll get one last big round of announcements to carry the Switch library strong until the next gen starts.

At this point all that's left for first party games that I'm hoping to see on Switch before its days are over is DK, Star Fox, Prime 2 and 3 remasters, Zelda WW & TP HD, Mario Galaxy 2 (still miffed about why it wasn't included in 3D all-stars), Prime 4 (though starting to get the feeling it could be a launch title next gen), and maybe something like Kid Icarus. To me, if they get those last 8 or 9 games out in 2024, five of which are just ports/remasters so isn't too much to ask, the Switch will have what I would consider a complete library, in that it'd be hard to say the system missed out on much of anything in terms of bringing the full arsenal of Nintendo games out on the system.

This Direct put to rest any speculations people may have had that Switch games will be slowing down as Nintendo focuses on getting next gen ready.
This is a 10/10 Direct.

I wonder if they're hanging onto the GameCube Zeldas to fill out the next system's library. 

Could be. Maybe WW, TP, and Galaxy 2 will be used to fill in holes in Switch 2 lineup at some point.

With 2D Mario coming out this Fall, presumably 3D Mario being a launch game next gen, and TotK having just come out, after the next gen launch there's gonna be a bunch of years with no new Marios or Zeldas other than perhaps Mario Maker 3 and I hope a brand new 2D Zelda. But yeah I could definitely see Nintendo waiting on WW, TP and Galaxy 2 in order to resurrected them to fill in those Mario-less and Zelda-less years next gen.

I think

Mario Odyssey 2 (or 3D Mario equivalent sequel)
Smash Bros. Next
Mario Kart Next

Are all deep in development as Switch 2 titles already. Something like Animal Crossing possibly being early in dev too.

Metroid Prime 4
Donkey Kong Country

I think will be cross-gen releases (Switch and Switch 2).

I was holding my breath for a Fire Emblem 4 remake, but Super Mario Bros. Wonder looks really fun! I won't be too mad if the next FE remake is on the Switch 2 and has much better graphics than Three Houses and Engage.

Playing Xenoblade 2 before I buy Xenoblade 3 (otherwise I couldn't wait to play 3).

Can they announce a new Fire Emblem? A remake of Genealogy or Tellius would suffice !

7/10

+ Super Mario RPG Remake

+ Super Mario Bros Wonder

+ Star Ocean: The Second Story R Remake

+ Splatoon 3 Splatfest

+ Batman Arkham Trilogy

- Persona 3 Reload might not coming to Switch

- Luigi's Mansion 2 dont look so good (at least for now)

- No Zelda Twilight Princess and Windwaker Remaster

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network
Soundwave said:

I'm guessing Metroid Prime 4, Mario Odyssey 2 (or whatever the next real 3D Mario is), got moved to Switch 2 or are cross-platform Switch 2 releases at this point.

Also feels like junior staff are pumping out MK8 DLC while the main team works on Mario Kart Next.  

I doubt there's much work happening on the next Mario Kart title. I am nearly certain that they've had that game in the can for a few years now.  They're just still milking Mario Kart 8 successfully, so nine will probably not hit until early in the next console generation. 

Soundwave said:

I think

Smash Bros. Next
Mario Kart Next

Are all deep in development as Switch 2 titles already. Something like Animal Crossing possibly being early in dev too.

Metroid Prime 4
Donkey Kong Country

I hope you are right, I'm expecting Mario Kart 8 Super Deluxe to launch on the successor for $60 and comes with all the dlc courses.

I have no opinions as for some reason the direct video is just a red Nintendo screen with audio playing lol

10/10 Direct.
Super Mario RPG hard carries it for me, hype. Ive been wanting Nintendo to revisit these characters for the longest time.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder looks nice as well.

rapsuperstar31 said:
Soundwave said:

I think

Smash Bros. Next
Mario Kart Next

Metroid Prime 4
Donkey Kong Country

I hope you are right, I'm expecting Mario Kart 8 Super Deluxe to launch on the successor for $60 and comes with all the dlc courses.

lol

I'm sure MK9 will be a launch title for next gen, or at least come out within a few weeks of launch. Nothing else would make sense. Probably 3D Mario and Prime 4 on launch day, MK9 a month later. Probably something like that (if indeed Prime 4 has been moved off the Switch and to next gen which is sorta seems like at this point).

To Soundwave:

Not sure if we'll see cross-gen titles. We got cross gen GC/Wii and WiiU/Switch but those systems were spec'd fairly similarly so those zelda cross gen games could just be ports. To do a cross gen game between Switch and next gen obviously gamers would want a complete graphics overhaul for the next gen version. Makes cross gen games seem less likely. Especially for something like Prime 4 where you want top notch graphics. I don't really see Nintendo building two completely separate graphical versions of Prime 4 (or any game) in order to make it cross gen.

So I don't expect any cross gen games. I think Prime 4 will either be the last big AAA Switch game, or much more likely a launch game on Switch 2 and that is probably the reason it still hasn't come out yet, or even announced anything about it yet, because at some point they switched over from making a Switch game to making a next gen game.

And considering Metroid games don't sell that well anyway, it's not like missing out on the Switch userbase would be devastating for the game. It's not like 10 million people are gonna buy it on Switch haha. And being one of the few major AAA Nintendo games available on the next gen system in the first year will give it plenty of focus for gamers to pick it up. Maybe Nintendo surprises and does two completely different graphical builds for the game so that it can be cross gen, but I doubt it. Also having it on Switch 2 only just gives people (well, at least the few million, or couple million, Metroid fans) more of a reason to buy the new system.