By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Thoughts on the Nintendo Direct?

Considering the expectations I went in with it was for sure a nice one. Finally the first original 2D Mario game in 17 years.

Around the Network

10/10 for me.

My highlights were:
- New 2D coop Mario game
- Super Mario RPG remake
- MGS collection coming (though I hope eventho they said MGS3 Snake Eater, that its the Subsistence version instead and this applies on all platforms)
- Batman collection

Norion said:

Considering the expectations I went in with it was for sure a nice one. Finally the first original 2D Mario game in 17 years.

I'm not the biggest fan in the world of NSMB, but to say NSMB Wii, NSMB2, an NSMBU aren't original Mario games is kinda harsh. 

Thought the Direct was OK, a lot of remakes in the pipeline which I don't mind, but yeah ... a lot of remakes, even remakes of remakes (was that a port of the 3DS Luigi's Mansion which was a port of the GameCube game?). 

New 2D Mario as I predicted was nice, I was maybe hoping for a little different art style, but the "Mario on drugs" mechanic looks really funny. Metal Gear Solid Collection is nice (MGS2 finally on a Nintendo system lol, only took 20+ years). No F-Zero was a bummer, was hoping for that. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 21 June 2023

Soundwave said:
Norion said:

I'm not the biggest fan in the world of NSMB, but to say NSMB Wii, NSMB2, an NSMBU aren't original Mario games is kinda harsh. 

You know what I mean, something with a clear identity and isn't just NSMB DS but with new stuff. 

That was a pretty solid direct IMO.

Remakes generally don't thrill me but Mario RPG Remake looks good. There's some decent room for improvement in that one (I'd really like the minigames to be more intuitive) and the visual style looks great. The more exciting thing about this is that it gives hope that we'll see an actual sequel at some point. And while I love the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi series(s) now would be a great time to go back to a more traditional RPG series.

I really do like a good motion controlled game now and then, and loved Wario Ware Smooth Moves. So very excited for the new Wario Ware.

Kind of excited about a 3D Princess Peach game. Who knows if it will be something that will appeal to me, but I do like more laid back experiences now and then. Luigi's Mansion 2 doesn't really excite me. I think the 3D effect actually works well there, so I'd probably rather play that version. A remake of the original would have been better imo.

If they're going to do Metal Gear, kind of wish they'd put Twin Snakes in the collection. Batman collection doesn't do much for me. I recently replayed Arkham City which didn't age quite as well as I remembered (although I think the port was kind of shitty).

The 3D platformer with the Penny girl with the Yoyo seems neat. Digging the fact that 3D platformers are having a mini-renaissance. On the 2D side of it, Sonic Superstars looks pretty cool.

Up to the end it was a decent but not great direct. But, Mario Wonder looked really cool. It looks like they're taking some nods from other platformers like Rayman Legends and Sonic, but also adding a lot of new things. I love the surrealist quality to it. My favorite parts of 2D Mario have always been the wackier levels, and this seems wacky af.

In the Switch's declining years, this is kind of what I would expect their output to be. Some more low key titles and remakes. Would have been nice to get a status update on Prime 4 which is increasingly looking unlikely for Switch, but what can you do. Tears of the Kingdom was definitely the swan song for the Switch, but it's good to see they're not just dropping support cold turkey as they did with the Wii and are providing some decent titles to ease the transition.

Around the Network

I totally forgot about Metroid Prime 4, yeah looks like that isn't happening in 2023. Probably going to become a Switch 2 cross platform title.

Great direct, Mario RPG is HUGE and the new 2D Mario looks excellent as well, and a few other cool games to fill in the gaps.

But really, they could have showed only Mario RPG and that would have been enough to make it 10/10

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Xbox went from my favorite showcase by a mile this non E3, but Nintendo's just edged it out for me. Can't believe we are getting Mario RPG, and I'm excited to get to play Luigi Mansion 2, hopefully we get the first one as well to complete the trilogy. Mario Wonder, and Star Ocean 2 are all must play games for me.

It was the direct of dreams for Super Mario RPG alone.

Heads shoulders knees and toes above any other conference done this year. Probably better than all of the others combined.
It was just body shot after body shot.

Super Mario RPG, HD Luigi Mansion, Princess peach, Super Mario Kart with THREE new characters, and new Super mario bro are all knockouts.
With other possible hit makers like DQ Monster, new Pikmin, the ability to play the old pikmin, and possible games like Silent Hope, Fae Farm.. and I think one more similar.

Oh and stuff for Pokemon fans as well.

S+.

You are bound to love Earthbound.