By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch pro controller is the best!

I'll assume this doesn't include the mortgage-your-house controllers from Xbox and Sony.

Around the Network

From a comfort perspective (I haven't touched any other current gen controllers), I would agree Switch Pro from a comfort level compared against last gen controllers ad older feels the nicest in hand.

However they all have their cons and pros and sadly no one has the perfect controller.

I may get a lot of hate for this, but I actually like how the xbox controllers use batteries you can pull out. Hopefully this wasn't removed from their latest console. It means no matter how old your controller is, batteries are easily replaceable without the need to unscrew things.

I hate how the Nintendo triggers are still digital on or off mode. I hate how there is no weight to pressing the triggers either.

i hope that their next gen console, evolves on that and any pro style controller I Hope they adopt the best parts of the others to make the ultimate controller. It's 2023, time to move with the times when it comes to triggers.

Shaunodon said:

I'll assume this doesn't include the mortgage-your-house controllers from Xbox and Sony.

Perhaps I'm missing out but I refuse to even entertain the thought of a $200 controller.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Cobretti2 said:

From a comfort perspective (I haven't touched any other current gen controllers), I would agree Switch Pro from a comfort level compared against last gen controllers ad older feels the nicest in hand.

However they all have their cons and pros and sadly no one has the perfect controller.

I may get a lot of hate for this, but I actually like how the xbox controllers use batteries you can pull out. Hopefully this wasn't removed from their latest console. It means no matter how old your controller is, batteries are easily replaceable without the need to unscrew things.

I hate how the Nintendo triggers are still digital on or off mode. I hate how there is no weight to pressing the triggers either.

i hope that their next gen console, evolves on that and any pro style controller I Hope they adopt the best parts of the others to make the ultimate controller. It's 2023, time to move with the times when it comes to triggers.

I always buy an extra controller, to spread the wear and to always have one charging and ready when the other runs out. So far I've had zero controllers outlast the battery inside them :/ Well only the ones you buy separate. The 360 and Wii mote recharcheable packs both failed before the controllers. Which is more praise to their build quality then a problem with the battery packs. Nowadays controllers don't seem to last more than a few years before stick drift or something else fails. Rechargeable batteries don't last either. I now have a big selection of rechargeables that all deplete / charge at a different rate.

Anyway the pro controller wouldn't be any good for racing, analog triggers are very much needed. Yet resistive triggers are a waste, just interfere with throttle / brake control. (I turned that off in GT7 for braking, on low for throttle as it does give some valuable information)
Dualsense D-pad is underwhelming and not comfortable to reach, little too bulky.
XBox controller is very heavy, not comfortable for long periods.

The pro controller is perfect for TotK, light weight, good size fit, lasts long. And no stick drift so far /knock on wood.

SvennoJ said:
Cobretti2 said:

I always buy an extra controller, to spread the wear and to always have one charging and ready when the other runs out. So far I've had zero controllers outlast the battery inside them :/ Well only the ones you buy separate. The 360 and Wii mote recharcheable packs both failed before the controllers. Which is more praise to their build quality then a problem with the battery packs. Nowadays controllers don't seem to last more than a few years before stick drift or something else fails. Rechargeable batteries don't last either. I now have a big selection of rechargeables that all deplete / charge at a different rate.

Anyway the pro controller wouldn't be any good for racing, analog triggers are very much needed. Yet resistive triggers are a waste, just interfere with throttle / brake control. (I turned that off in GT7 for braking, on low for throttle as it does give some valuable information)
Dualsense D-pad is underwhelming and not comfortable to reach, little too bulky.
XBox controller is very heavy, not comfortable for long periods.

The pro controller is perfect for TotK, light weight, good size fit, lasts long. And no stick drift so far /knock on wood.

I've set the trigger resistance at the lowest, it is just not comfortable to deal with for long periods, it works as a gimmick but that's about it.

The haptic feedback is another beast tho, it is still up to this point the most next gen feeling I've had by far, from the moment I touched the Dualsense for the first time on a friend's house it has been just mindblowing.

Hopefully this changes soon to a feeling about a game, not a controller, even as the PS5 has some very nice games I've played there is still not a single Uncharted 4 like feeling of massive improvement I've experienced on the PS5.

Around the Network

Genesis 6 button controller is really good. Comfort: GC controller.

BraLoD said:

I've set the trigger resistance at the lowest, it is just not comfortable to deal with for long periods, it works as a gimmick but that's about it.

The haptic feedback is another beast tho, it is still up to this point the most next gen feeling I've had by far, from the moment I touched the Dualsense for the first time on a friend's house it has been just mindblowing.

Hopefully this changes soon to a feeling about a game, not a controller, even as the PS5 has some very nice games I've played there is still not a single Uncharted 4 like feeling of massive improvement I've experienced on the PS5.

The haptic feedback is indeed a game changer. Rumble is already far more precise, playing GT Sport with a Dualsense controller already gives much better feedback. Yet when used to its full strength in GT7 you can tell what kind of edge the car is leaning / riding on and much easier to tell when you're pushing the car to its limit, driving on the edge of tire grip. Plus that lovely 'kerplunk' when shifting gears.

The massive improvement is on the PSVR2 side, that's a real generation change compared to PSVR1. But indeed, apart from some fast loading sequences in Ratchet and Clank, it's been more of the same so far. I did enjoy Forbidden West a lot and it is a big step up of Zero Dawn. Yet in the end, nothing really new there. (And CotM was a step backwards imo. Great visuals, great climbing simulator, amazing character animation, game play meh, combat sucked)

Anyway Zelda did it again, just as with PSVR1, dragged me back onto a screen lol. Not because of the gameplay (combat sucks in TotK as well), I just like exploring new maps, hence sticking to the depths so far. One thing VR is missing, well crafted open worlds to explore.

All the controllers are good this gen but series S|X the most comfy to me and now that they've made a solid D-pad it's easily one of my favorites (surpassing the 360)

Leynos said:

Dualsense has the worst Dpad of all 3. All 3 made a good controller this generation but seriously buy that 8bitdo Ultimate Controller. It's so much better than the Pro and better built and the sticks will never drift. If I choose between which the first party has the best pad in feel? Series X. I like the DualSense a lot but I turn the bullshit off that kills battery life and shortens the lifespan of the triggers.

I completely forgot I wanted to buy an 8bitdo controller and purchased the Zelda themed one instead. Still looks and feels great, but I just know drifting will become an issue again, just like my 3 other pro controllers.

SvennoJ said:
BraLoD said:

The haptic feedback is indeed a game changer. Rumble is already far more precise, playing GT Sport with a Dualsense controller already gives much better feedback. Yet when used to its full strength in GT7 you can tell what kind of edge the car is leaning / riding on and much easier to tell when you're pushing the car to its limit, driving on the edge of tire grip. Plus that lovely 'kerplunk' when shifting gears.

The massive improvement is on the PSVR2 side, that's a real generation change compared to PSVR1. But indeed, apart from some fast loading sequences in Ratchet and Clank, it's been more of the same so far. I did enjoy Forbidden West a lot and it is a big step up of Zero Dawn. Yet in the end, nothing really new there. (And CotM was a step backwards imo. Great visuals, great climbing simulator, amazing character animation, game play meh, combat sucked)

Anyway Zelda did it again, just as with PSVR1, dragged me back onto a screen lol. Not because of the gameplay (combat sucks in TotK as well), I just like exploring new maps, hence sticking to the depths so far. One thing VR is missing, well crafted open worlds to explore.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of very positive feedback on PSVR2, specially on GT7, but sadly I just don't like VR, wearing a regular headset is already unconfortable enough for me, much less a VR one, lol.

I had to google to find out CotM was about the Horizon VR game, xD