By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mortal Kombat 1 is coming September 19 to Xbox Series, PS5, Nintendo Switch, and PC.

Very interesting that there is a Switch version, but no PS4/Xbone version. At this point I guess the sales on last gen must have died down to a point where it's not worth the investment.

I'm fascinated to see how it turns out on Switch. MK11 was an excellent port, but as a PS5/XS game this should represent a much higher technical standard.

Apparently the Switch port is being handled by Shiver, who did the MK11 port, and Saber, who did the Switch ports of Witcher 3, the Crysis Trilogy, and World War Z. The latter are among the best in the business at pushing the Switch so here's hoping for good results.

Around the Network

It's weird how they want to "reboot" MK, yet at the same time they are directly relying on events that occurred within their last game, thus clinging onto the past and not actually doing a full reboot (a similar retelling or an entirely new one that doesn't rely on the past).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

curl-6 said:

Very interesting that there is a Switch version, but no PS4/Xbone version. At this point I guess the sales on last gen must have died down to a point where it's not worth the investment.

I'm fascinated to see how it turns out on Switch. MK11 was an excellent port, but as a PS5/XS game this should represent a much higher technical standard.

Apparently the Switch port is being handled by Shiver, who did the MK11 port, and Saber, who did the Switch ports of Witcher 3, the Crysis Trilogy, and World War Z. The latter are among the best in the business at pushing the Switch so here's hoping for good results.

Nintendo has generally had a good relationship with Midway/Netherrealm, and MK11 still shows up regularly on the eShop's top 20 sellers. 

TIL people get emotionally invested in the ”story” and ”lore” of MK…

Back in the days it was all about the blood/Gore and fatalities.

Sorry double post

Around the Network
Spindel said:

Nowadays people like context for the blood/fore and fatalities.

You know Tekken has always had a plot, right?

Last edited by The Fury - on 20 May 2023

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Spindel said:

TIL people get emotionally invested in the â€Âstoryâ€Â and â€Âloreâ€Â of MK…

You know Tekken has always had a plot right?

I don't know if Tekken's plot is right tho

The Fury said:
Spindel said:

TIL people get emotionally invested in the â€Âstoryâ€Â and â€Âloreâ€Â of MK…

You know Tekken has always had a plot right?

I’ve actually only played Tekken 3 and only against my, at the time, friend group :P

Spindel said:

Mortal Kombat always had a plot, though. It was one of the ways in which they tried to differentiate themselves from Street Fighter, which had no plot other than ethnic stereotypes who like to fight and end up fighting Pol Pot, who has somehow acquired super powers.

Spindel said:

You do realise there was lore for MK way, way back in the day right?.

We had the comics, the tv series, the 2 movies in the 90's, when the game was out, and all of them established MK lore.

Even during the PS2 era we still got more lore, but via the game's cutscenes and openings, so it's not like MK started out without lore, let alone for a long time. 

I've been vested in MK lore since I can remember, and I loved the Scorpion movie, and the original two live action ones.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"