By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - How do I confirm a PM was sent?

For some reason it feels like I've asked this question before a number of years ago, but I can't seem to find the old thread to jog my memory. When I write someone a private message and click "Send Message", all traces of it just disappear. Even if I click on "Sent" messages, there's just nothing; no verification that it actually got sent to anyone. Is there any way of confirming that it actually got sent short of waiting potentially an eternity for a response that I may never receive? Am I doing something wrong?

Around the Network

I justed tested sending a message to Trunks two different ways - one by going to a post of his on the forum and selecting Send Message from there, and another by going directly to his profile and selecting Send Message from the little three dash menu below the avatar. Both resulted in the message showing up in my Sent Messages section. Before that I also have a Sent Message showing up as a result of replying to one sent to me (rather than me initiating the chain).

Did you use a different method to these three? I'm trying to work out why you wouldn't have anything in your Sent Messages section if it had indeed been sent. 

Well I can confirm there is no message in the database.
So are you sure you hint send message? Maybe you or the site died for a micro second while typing and it glitched it?
Try sending a test message.

You are bound to love Earthbound.

Machina said:

I justed tested sending a message to Trunks two different ways - one by going to a post of his on the forum and selecting Send Message from there, and another by going directly to his profile and selecting Send Message from the little three dash menu below the avatar. Both resulted in the message showing up in my Sent Messages section. Before that I also have a Sent Message showing up as a result of replying to one sent to me (rather than me initiating the chain).

Did you use a different method to these three? I'm trying to work out why you wouldn't have anything in your Sent Messages section if it had indeed been sent. 

Oooooohhhh....okay, my method was that I just went to Messages in my own profile menu and from there picked the option that says "New Message" and typed in the screen name of the person I wanted to PM, figuring that would work. Both of your proposed methods are different from that, so let me try out one of those routes.

Let me just try sending you a message real quick using one of these other methods as a test case.

EDIT: Okay, going directly to your profile worked! I can see the test PM I sent you just now in the "Sent" menu. Problem solved! Weird though that I have use other people's profile pages to PM them. Well anyway, thanks so much for your help!  

Last edited by Jaicee - on 14 May 2023

Jaicee said:
Machina said:

Oooooohhhh....okay, my method was that I just went to Messages in my own profile menu and from there picked the option that says "New Message" and typed in the screen name of the person I wanted to PM, figuring that would work. Both of your proposed methods are different from that, so let me try out one of those routes.

Let me just try sending you a message real quick using one of these other methods as a test case.

EDIT: Okay, going directly to your profile worked! I can see the test PM I sent you just now in the "Sent" menu. Problem solved! Weird though that I have use other people's profile pages to PM them. Well anyway, thanks so much for your help!  

Yep, that worked; I received the message. 

I've just tried sending a message using your original method and I get an error message ('There was a problem sending your message!'), I think because when I enter someone's username there's no drop-down or anything to select a name from, so it's not actually going to anyone. 

Around the Network
Machina said:

Yep, that worked; I received the message. 

I've just tried sending a message using your original method and I get an error message ('There was a problem sending your message!'), I think because when I enter someone's username there's no drop-down or anything to select a name from, so it's not actually going to anyone. 

That's weird!

Well whatever, as long as I have a method that works. Thanks again for your help!

Sorry to piggyback but this thread fits well enough and no point in making a new thread for this.

Is there anyway to send a banned user a message like a PM or something that would actually reach them through email by using the site? I know you sometimes get emails about site activity but then you have to go on the site to see whatever it is, so if they're banned they wouldn't be able to go on and see it. So is there some method for that by any chance?

tbh i have send messages in the past towards cgi 50/50 if he got ehm

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Bandorr said:

You have access to our PM ?

SKMBlake said:
Bandorr said:

You have access to our PM ?

The content of the message is kept in a separate table than the a table the contains the username and date of messages.

So it's simple to just check if someone has successfully sent a message without seeing the content of that message.

You are bound to love Earthbound.