By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April 2023 VGChartz Estimates Thread - Worldwide Estimates Out Now

trunkswd said:
Norion said:

Switch did very well and May should be the same story, June onwards will be a return to the decline though. After a couple insane months the PS5 is returning to earth though it's still doing way, way better than the PS4 did at this point and somewhat over a million could be the norm for it the next few months which will make it easily surpass 20m this year. And Xbox Series is still doing somewhat better than the Xbox One did but with how the other two are doing it's just doing ok right now. The next Xbox showcase is soon though so maybe that'll help some.

Xbox Series X|S sales in May are looking to be better than in April (with the limited data we have so far) with a chance to be up year-on-year as sales last May were 466K, or at least down year-on-year by far less percent wise than we've seen so far this year. And yeah, it is doing better than the Xbox One, it just looks worse than it is with how high PS5 and Switch sales are right now. I still see Xbox Series X|S selling 60m-70m lifetime due to the stronger first-party lineup of games.

Good that Xbox Series sales might be starting to improve. It'll hopefully have at least a decent holiday season this time.

Around the Network
Norion said:
trunkswd said:

Xbox Series X|S sales in May are looking to be better than in April (with the limited data we have so far) with a chance to be up year-on-year as sales last May were 466K, or at least down year-on-year by far less percent wise than we've seen so far this year. And yeah, it is doing better than the Xbox One, it just looks worse than it is with how high PS5 and Switch sales are right now. I still see Xbox Series X|S selling 60m-70m lifetime due to the stronger first-party lineup of games.

Good that Xbox Series sales might be starting to improve. It'll hopefully have at least a decent holiday season this time.

I would hope Xbox Series X|S sales are up year-on-year starting in September due to Starfield and Forza Motorsport coming out. The question is, will it be enough to offset how much it is down year-on-year so far in 2023. At this point Xbox One sales were on the decline. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

New Game News Roundup is now live. In this one I discuss the latest VGChartz estimates for April 2023. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

And yeah, it is doing better than the Xbox One, it just looks worse than it is with how high PS5 and Switch sales are right now. I still see Xbox Series X|S selling 60m-70m lifetime due to the stronger first-party lineup of games.

It's doing slighlty better than the Xbox One (less than 1 million) and sales are already in decline, but you still expect it to sell 10+ million more than the Xbox One, I really don't see how.

SKMBlake said:
trunkswd said:

And yeah, it is doing better than the Xbox One, it just looks worse than it is with how high PS5 and Switch sales are right now. I still see Xbox Series X|S selling 60m-70m lifetime due to the stronger first-party lineup of games.

It's doing slighlty better than the Xbox One (less than 1 million) and sales are already in decline, but you still expect it to sell 10+ million more than the Xbox One, I really don't see how.

I'm expecting a strong lifetime as well.  The generation got off to a slow start and is going to be a longer one this time.  Xbox Series X stock has been non-existent for quite some time and it looks like that is finally going to improve.  Many big games still have yet to release and many of them are system sellers.  

It's a bit too early in its life cycle to give up on it. 

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

Link to VGChartz article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch 2023 Worldwide Sales Comparison Charts Through April

Here we see data representing the sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and two legacy platforms (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) over comparable periods for 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2020 – (January 2020 to April 2020)

2021 – (January 2021 to April 2021)

2022 – (January 2022 to April 2022)

2023 – (January 2023 to April 2023)

"Year to date" sales for 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2023 versus 2022 and 2023 versus 2021 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox Series X|S
    • 1.89 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 643,267 units (-25.4%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch
    • 4.35 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 1,071,412 units (-19.8%)

Sony

• PlayStation 5
    • 6.92 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 4,430,919 units (178.1%)
  • PlayStation 4
    • 0.06 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 102,711 (-61.4%)

Link to VGChartz article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Month 30

This monthly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. PS5: 37,439,537
  2. Switch: 36,987,045
  3. XSX|S: 21,669,400

Through the first 30 months available worldwide the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 0.45 million units and is 15.77 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 15.32 million units.

The PS5 has sold 37.44 million in 30 months worldwide, while the Switch sold 36.99 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 21.67 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 30 months, the PS5 is in the lead. The PS5 has a 39.0 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 38.5 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 22.5 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. PS5: 13,960,576
  2. Switch: 12,721,354
  3. XSX|S: 10,654,806

Through the first 30 months available in the US the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 1.24 million units and is 3.31 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 2.07 million units.

The PS5 has sold 13.96 million in 30 months in the US, while the Switch sold 12.72 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 10.65 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 30 months, the PS5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 37.4 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 34.1 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 28.5 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe:

1. PS5: 11,377,001
  2. Switch: 9,587,329
  3. XSX|S: 5,831,674

Through the first 29 months available in Europe the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 1.79 million units and is 5.55 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 3.76 million units.

The PS5 has sold 111.38 million in 30 months in Europe, while the Switch sold 9.59 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 5.83 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 30 months, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 42.4 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 35.8 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 21.8 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 8,836,083
  2. PS5: 3,418,127
  3. XSX|S: 440,614

Through the first 30 months available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.42 million units and is 8.40 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 2.98 million units.

The Switch has sold 8.84 million units in 30 months in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 3.42 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.44 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 30 months, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 69.6 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 26.9 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 3.5 percent.

DroidKnight said:
SKMBlake said:

I'm expecting a strong lifetime as well.  The generation got off to a slow start and is going to be a longer one this time.  Xbox Series X stock has been non-existent for quite some time and it looks like that is finally going to improve.  Many big games still have yet to release and many of them are system sellers.  

It's a bit too early in its life cycle to give up on it. 

I mean we saw the "big games", Hi-Fi Rush and Minecraft Legends didn't have a real impact on console sales, Redfall really low reception probably won't help either in May.

The console is down 650k YoY and nothing really seems to be able to reverse the lack of momentum before September (maybe the Diablo IV bundle).

And MS already expects the new generation to launch in 2028. Will they be able to sell 45 million more consoles in the next 5 years ? Really doubt it.