By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Saudi Arabia in talks with SE for 8 months to get LGBT content censored

160rmf said:
DonFerrari said:

The destruction I put is more on those very biggoted views that overcompensate to the opposite side of "tradition" and try to put every man as potential rapist, society as being totally oppresive of women in favor of men, traditional family as ruined and toxical for society, etc. There are some cases of ads on this line and there is a very clear editorial standard for this in newspaper in Brazil (like gender, race, etc being heavily reported when it is "a group of power" or ignored when it is otherwise and sometimes doesn't even report 

Like if the crimes against gender, sexuality and race aren't something to be enlightened, right?

Imagine being killed just because you are a woman, LGBT or black and choose to live your life without the restrictions subtly imposed by the toxic traits of the traditional way? And to add that, the killer can even consider in the right to do that, because it has a considerable part of the society backing up this behavior for the wealth of the "good citizens".  

You see more "good citizens" feeling attacked because the oppressed ones are getting their rights and visibility; and also for losing their privileges to act freely and get no punishment for their bad acts, specially against those same minorities, than the left attacking people that live in a traditional way just for the sake of ending the traditional family.

This overcompensation that you see in the news, actually, it's just the cruel reality of this country being displayed. This place has still a lot to evolve from this retrograde mentality. 

yes I can imagine people being killed only because they are black.

http://sexoprivilegiado.blogspot.com/2014/03/quatro-em-cada-cinco-pessoas-assassinadas-por-violencia-domestica-no-brasil-sao-homens.html?m=1 also can imagine people being killed only by being woman

You can go all day long if you want to believe on narrative that fit your portrayal of reality if you want.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

any reason why I can't see the threat probably anymore? Can the mod team kindly fix this?

LurkerJ said:

any reason why I can't see the threat probably anymore? Can the mod team kindly fix this?

This thread seems to be having issues. Happened the same for me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
160rmf said:

Like if the crimes against gender, sexuality and race aren't something to be enlightened, right?

Imagine being killed just because you are a woman, LGBT or black and choose to live your life without the restrictions subtly imposed by the toxic traits of the traditional way? And to add that, the killer can even consider in the right to do that, because it has a considerable part of the society backing up this behavior for the wealth of the "good citizens".  

You see more "good citizens" feeling attacked because the oppressed ones are getting their rights and visibility; and also for losing their privileges to act freely and get no punishment for their bad acts, specially against those same minorities, than the left attacking people that live in a traditional way just for the sake of ending the traditional family.

This overcompensation that you see in the news, actually, it's just the cruel reality of this country being displayed. This place has still a lot to evolve from this retrograde mentality. 

http://sexoprivilegiado.blogspot.com/2014/03/quatro-em-cada-cinco-pessoas-assassinadas-por-violencia-domestica-no-brasil-sao-homens.html?m=1 also can imagine people being killed only by being woman

You can go all day long if you want to believe on narrative that fit your portrayal of reality if you want.

What exactly you want to proof with this data?

It's just raw numbers, it doesn't tell any pattern or anything. Unless there's something obscure behind this that you want to show.

What I am showing It's not random crimes, it's a mentality that we heritage from our colonial culture. It's not only about violent crimes, but also about the mistreatment, the depreciating jokes and exclusion.

We reap what we sow

160rmf said:
DonFerrari said:

What exactly you want to proof with this data?

It's just raw numbers, it doesn't tell any pattern or anything. Unless there's something obscure behind this that you want to show.

What I am showing It's not random crimes, it's a mentality that we heritage from our colonial culture. It's not only about violent crimes, but also about the mistreatment, the depreciating jokes and exclusion.

When "random" data show that female kills partner twice as much as male kills partner and that black on white homicide is much higher than white on black this mentality you claim seems to conflict with data.

Around the Network
Astrals said:

How do we know that the reason of the block was LGBT related? The tweet doesn't say that with certainty. I ask because FFVII remake was blocked in some middle eastern counties for some other unknown reason.

Obviously, the cultural differences are too wide. It is fruitless to argue about it. I have no idea how you guys find the motivation to do it continuously. I just find it silly to believe that it is black and white situation. Judging from some of the statmets that are made here. The differences will only grow wider with time.

Occam's razor.

I can only think of 3 reasons Saudi would ban it. It has LGBT stuff. It has anti-islam stuff. Or it has anti-Saudi stuff. Considering it's set in a fictional world and there's next to no chance of islam or Saudi ever being mentioned in the game... that leaves only 1 possibility.

Unless you can think of other reasons they would ban a game?

Ka-pi96 said:
Astrals said:

How do we know that the reason of the block was LGBT related? The tweet doesn't say that with certainty. I ask because FFVII remake was blocked in some middle eastern counties for some other unknown reason.

Obviously, the cultural differences are too wide. It is fruitless to argue about it. I have no idea how you guys find the motivation to do it continuously. I just find it silly to believe that it is black and white situation. Judging from some of the statmets that are made here. The differences will only grow wider with time.

Occam's razor.

I can only think of 3 reasons Saudi would ban it. It has LGBT stuff. It has anti-islam stuff. Or it has anti-Saudi stuff. Considering it's set in a fictional world and there's next to no chance of islam or Saudi ever being mentioned in the game... that leaves only 1 possibility.

Unless you can think of other reasons they would ban a game?

You could be right. But the censorship is unpredictable in the region. Mature or sexual theme in general could cause the ban on any media. Games like FVIIR and Nier Replicant are banned even from the online store in Kuwait for example but not in UAE or KSA. XVI seems to be banned in all of the region.. Which is silly since anyone can just download the game from the US store

Astrals said:

The Saudi official reasoning is: "it's because of the recent trend to include a certain kind content these companies refuse to edit out to suit our region".

I can't think of anything else that the statement would elude to. They've just banned the new Spiderman movie because apparently there is a trans poster that is on screen for a second. 

As for this not being a black and white situation,  why is it okay to show relations between man and woman but merely recognising other relations is seen as unnecessary evil? it's a simple question, it couldn't be any more black and white imo. 

Recognising the existence of the LGBT community isn't a nuanced problem, it's not an "agenda", the only one with an agenda here are those who selectively edit out LGBT in attempt to brainwash the society that they rarely if ever exist. 

LurkerJ said:
Astrals said:

The Saudi official reasoning is: "it's because of the recent trend to include a certain kind content these companies refuse to edit out to suit our region".

I can't think of anything else that the statement would elude to. They've just banned the new Spiderman movie because apparently there is a trans poster that is on screen for a second. 

As for this not being a black and white situation,  why is it okay to show relations between man and woman but merely recognising other relations is seen as unnecessary evil? it's a simple question, it couldn't be any more black and white imo. 

Recognising the existence of the LGBT community isn't a nuanced problem, it's not an "agenda", the only one with an agenda here are those who selectively edit out LGBT in attempt to brainwash the society that they rarely if ever exist. 

You are probably right about the ban reason. Which is still silly imo because the game can be downloaded fron US ps store in the region.

As for the rest, In the Islamic culture. Only God is wise enough to determine what is right and what is wrong, not oneself, because the fickleness of the human "heart" . That is why Muslims call themselves "slaves of Allah" as they are not supposed to have a will different that the will of God.

Sure, feel free to call Allah evil and believers stupid, but I'm merly pointing out this is not the way to make the situation better.

Astrals said:
LurkerJ said:

You are probably right about the ban reason. Which is still silly imo because the game can be downloaded fron US ps store in the region.

As for the rest, In the Islamic culture. Only God is wise enough to determine what is right and what is wrong, not oneself, because the fickleness of the human "heart" . That is why Muslims call themselves "slaves of Allah" as they are not supposed to have a will different that the will of God.

Sure, feel free to call Allah evil and believers stupid, but I'm merly pointing out this is not the way to make the situation better.

I'm curious, what would be your recommendation for making the situation better?