By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Zelda: TOTK Make History For The Switch This Year?

Will Zelda: TOTK be the Switch’s next 20m seller?

Yes, and before November 9 18.37%

Yes, during Nov-Dec 15 30.61%

20m, but not this year 21 42.86%

No, Zelda: TOTK won’t reach 20m 4 8.16%

Total:49
Jumpin said:
super_etecoon said:

I honestly can't tell if this is a joke post.  The hype levels for TotK are insane.  Certainly it doesn't have the benefit of being paired with a launch of a new console, but in a lot of ways that is a feather in TotK's cap, not the other way around.  Also, you list a 30-45 million window in two years, which is insane considering that Breath of the Wild has barely hit 30 million 6 years later.  If this is a joke post, it's very funny.  If it's not, then I'm not sure of how unsure you are that this game will burn quick, bright and likely bury 20 million units by year's end.

And I can’t tell if you’re trolling or if you just struggle with reading comprehension. If the latter, I‘d ask that you read more carefully this time.

First, I’m referring to Nintendo’s hype campaign, not the amount of hype you feel the game has.

Second, Breath of the Wild took longer to sell is because not everyone who purchased it had a Switch in 2017 and 2018. In the first two years, around 34 million Switches sold. As of 2023, over 120 million have sold. Unlike Breath of the Wild, which had staggered sales due to limited console availability in earlier years, Tears of the Kingdom could sell much more quickly because of a substantially larger customer base up front. If Tears of the Kingdom proves to be a better received and more popular game than Breath of the Wild, it stands to reason that it will sell more units, much like how San Andreas sold nearly as many units as GTA3 and Vice City combined on PS2.

I hope this clarification makes things easier to understand for you.

Ouch. Ok, I think the hype campaign of TotK with 5 trailers, a 10 minute gameplay reveal, 4 years of waiting, and an amazing final trailer (included in the 5 trailers) is an excellent campaign that didn't overstay its welcome.  It's a tough sell to keep everyone at full mast for 4 years for a title, even one as hype as a Breath of the Wild sequel.  I also think that BotW does a lot of the heavy lifting for Totk's marketing campaign as a good majority of people were already saying, "Take my Money" before even seeing the first gameplay reveal.

I see that you posted two options in your post, with the low end of 30 million being the bottom end of your positive perspective.  I think there is where the part that I thought it was a joke post came in as I suppose I omitted the possibility that your actual lowest threshold was probably closer to 15-20 million based on the lackluster marketing campaign you referenced. I'll take that ats my reading comprehension fail.

Finally, I wasn't trying to be snarky.  I'm bummed that you took it that way.

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:
mk7sx said:

Yes.

>12M global launch 3-days [2-2.5M JP / 9.5-10M ROTW]

19-20M launch quarter, maybe more.

I think this is a bit much. Pokemon S/V Nintendo's fastest selling game ever sold 10m in 3 days and 20.6m in it's launch quarter.

Maybe if Zelda was launching at the end of November like Pokemon S/V it could have a shot but launching in May I don't think these numbers are realistic.

Also BOTW sales are at about 3.41m in Japan on Switch after 6 years of sales. 2.5m in Japan would be 73% of BOTW's lifetime sales in 3 days...

While I agree that 12mil is not very realistic and myself expect a launch of at most 10mil for TotK, your last argument doesn't hold much water. Splatoon 3 and S/V sold just as high a percentage of their predecessor's LT sales or higher in Japan at their launches and quickly completely outsold their predecessors.

While TotK does not have multiplayer, which was likely a driving factor with these other two games, it's not impossible for it to sell 2M at launch in Japan.

Jumpin said:

On one hand, Breath of the Wild had one of the biggest hype campaigns in history, and strongly made a case that it had an amazing experience, and delivered. Tears of the Kingdom totally lacks this.

TotK's hype is bigger than that of BotW before launch. You must be living under a rock.

Regarding Nintendo's campaign, in Japan they have TotK billboards everywhere (I've seen photos) and ads playing on TV. The Nintendo of Japan Youtube account has all of those ads and they uploaded a BotW summary video which tells you about the story and world for people who haven't played BotW but consider getting TotK.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 22 April 2023