By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Europe March Sales 2023

Gamesindustry.biz article for Europe sales in March 2023 is up. Here are the main points.

Hardware (March 2023)

- PS5 #1, Switch #2, Xbox Series #3
- 570,000 units sold, up 67% compared to March 2022
- PS5 sales up by 400% compared to March 2022
- Switch sales down 19% compared to March 2022
- Xbox Series sales down 13% compared to March 2022

Hardware (Jan-March 2023)

- PS5 #1, Switch #2, Xbox Series #3
- 1,500,000 units sold, up 41% compared to 2022
- PS5 sales up 369% YoY
- Switch down 18% YoY
- Xbox Series sales down 10% YoY
- January overall hardware sales = 493,000
- February overall hardware sales = 437,000
- March overall hardware sales = 570,000

*Console hardware sales cover Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Software

- Hogwarts Legacy best selling game of the quarter and fastest selling non-fifa title since tracking began in 2017.
- Resident Evil 4 the best selling game in March.
- RE4 sales are 19% lower than Village and 11% lower than RE2, but 57% higher than RE3.
- 39,000,000 units sold in Q1, 11% lower than last year.

1 Resident Evil 4 (Capcom)
2 Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
3 FIFA 23 (EA)
4 Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
5 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)
6 Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
7 WWE 2K23 (2K Games)
8 F1 22 (Capcom)
9 NBA 2K23 (2K Games)
10 Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege (Ubisoft)

Q1 PC and console game sales down 11% across Europe | European Monthly Charts | GamesIndustry.biz

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 18 April 2023

Around the Network

Daym so after ~2 months Hogwarts Legacy is now faster selling than even RDR2 and all CoD titles since 2017?
And there's still 3 console versions yet to release (though I don't expect anything too huge from them when they're this late).

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

insane ps5 sales sony may actually hit its fiscal quarter target

Trunks put the figures for March in Europe

PS5: 478.3k
NS: 217.8k
XS: 67.7k

This was already pretty clear but I think this is evidence that some Xbox Series sales the first half of last year in Europe were due to people not being able to find a PS5. Doing Xbox One level sales isn't the worst result but ideally that'll be improved on the 2nd half of this year. Going forward the YoY comparisons won't be quite as insane for the PS5 but will still be big for the rest of the year. Also the Switch only being 18% down so far is somewhat better than I expected.

Around the Network
jvmkdg said:

insane ps5 sales sony may actually hit its fiscal quarter target

Yes.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/455886/analyst-xbox-to-narrow-playstations-lead-in-2023/

This aged poorly

SKMBlake said:

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/455886/analyst-xbox-to-narrow-playstations-lead-in-2023/

This aged poorly

I always wondered who pay these so-called "analysts" ? They are always wrong.

Last edited by CloudxTifa - on 18 April 2023

SKMBlake said:

This aged poorly

Looking back at his analysis, what stood out was his example of the potential for economic stress seeing parents cut back on their children's gaming having an effect on gaming, but by not going any further we don't get to see how it impacts the Xbox v PlayStation conversation, and that's the trouble with a lot of these analyst's they keep throwing up scenarios without drilling down to a point where we get an in depth look at the potential outcomes of those scenarios.

Take the aforementioned scenario, it would affect the industry, not just Xbox and PlayStation and Nintendo's demographic is a prime example of that, but because we have speculation being dressed up as analysis we don't get any clear picture of exactly how it would benefit/ hinder Xbox and PS, let alone any consideration of what the potential belt tightening effect on Nintendo would have on the other two players.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 18 April 2023

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

CloudxTifa said:
SKMBlake said:

This aged poorly

I always wondered who pay these so-called "analysts" ? They are always wrong.

Because it makes a lot of money ?