By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 20th century games that have aged the best

Age of Empires II

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:

Age of Empires II

Damn, how could I forget this one.

Throw in Age of Empires 1 for me as well, I know that one's not as popular but it's still an excellent game in its own right.

Many games!
Chrono trigger, Super Metroid, Mega man X 1-3, Super Mario World 3, Super Mario RPG, Donkey Kong 1-3...
I feel like "pixel art" based games are still great, SNES is king here.
Early 3D games didn't age very well, imho, they need remasters/remakes to shine.

Never got to play Full Throttle, but I imagine it's aged pretty well. The writing and voice cast certainly helps. :)

Super Mario 64's camera is pure jank, if it were released today the game would be panned. As a rule 3rd and 5th-gen games aged poorly, with some exceptions like SMB3.

I consider most 4th-gen games aged well, though, and can be enjoyed even without nostalgia glasses. Also a lot of PC titles from the 90s handle kind of OK.

Around the Network

In terms of 3D games, Starfox 64 has aged really well I find; the framerate is solid and the on rails design avoids the camera and control issues a lot of 5th gen games had.

StarCraft: Brood Wars. - Made eSports a thing and was a sport in South Korea.

It's pre-rendered 2D assets scaled up fairly well as well. - Obviously you have the remaster now which cleans the image up a lot.

Homeworld 1. - For a game that released in 1999, it still has times where I go 'wow', that looks great.
It is probably -the- best looking full 3D game from the 90's in it's vanilla form... And it's gameplay is still rock solid and has aged well.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I think most critically acclaimed games of the era have aged well, much better than a lot of early 7th gen games.
The good thing about 3D games from the 5th generation was that there were no established rules for how to make a 3D game, so there was a lot more variety in how they played.
But to name a handful:
Doom 1
Doom 2
Half-Life
Mega Man 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Streets of Rage 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Nights into Dreams
Panzer Dragoon zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Sega Rally Championships
Virtual Fighter 2
Crazy Taxi
Tempest 2000
Galaga
Castlevania (most games in the series)
Contra series
Spyro series
Soul Calibur

Last edited by Vinther1991 - on 06 May 2023

Most of the great 8-bit games and all of the great 16-bit games hold up and are as fun to play today as they were then. It's the 32-bit games and up that are going to struggle to hang around (at least in their original state). There aren't many that the average gamer of today would enjoy, but there are a few.

But the 8/16-bit games... those will live forever.

Thinking about it some more, Quake also holds up quite well I find, so much so that there's been a recent resurgence in the sort of simple fast paced old school shooter that it exemplifies.

A Link to the Past and Kirby's Dreamland 3 still look and play great to this day. Also, while I know some feel their prerendered graphics don't hold up, I personally feel the Donkey Kong Country trilogy are still fantastic.