By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Movie Breaking Records; 5 Day Opening Weekend Set To Beat Frozen 2

PAOerfulone said:
JackHandy said:

I'm happy to see the mustached man doing so well... but I worry about overexposure. When things become too saturated commercially, people tend to turn on those things in a hurry. I hope Nintendo is smart about all this. I'm sure they are. They're Nintendo. But still...

They're not Marvel. They won't be able to spit out 2-3 movies every year even if they wanted too. It's going to be at least another 2 years before we get another Mario film assuming they get started on it right away.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't expect multiple movies a year. One movie every 1-2 years feels right considering they can come from multiple different games ie Mario, DK, Zelda, Star Fox, Kirby, Metroid, Smash, etc. But probably shouldn't expect the next Nintendo movie for 2-3 years because they are probably are probably just starting the process of approving more movies now with Mario movie's huge success. They can gradually build up to a Smash movie over the next decade-plus.

Over the next decade I'd like to see a DK movie, a Mario sequel (that introduces Kirby), a Kirby movie probably geared more toward kids, a Star Fox movie, a Metroid live-action movie, two Zelda live-action movies, a Princess Zelda tv series on a major streaming service (possibly just a one season mini-series that happens between the first and second Zelda movies), and then a decade from now do a third Mario movie that acts as a build-up to a Smash movie by at least having cameos from other characters and establishing some relationships there and establishing some plot that brings these characters together from different worlds, then in the mid-2030s have a third Zelda live-action movie and a Smash bros movie. And of course possibility of doing stuff with other characters after that who were in the Smash movie.

That'd be 10 more movies over the next let's say 14 years, but spread out between lots of different IP and both live-action and animation, with at least one being a kids movie, most being everybody movies, and some (zelda and metroid live action) being everyone but geared more towards teenagers/adults.

Around the Network
tsogud said:

The movie made over $670 million in just under 2 weeks... Yep, I'm thinking video game adaptions will be a trend in Hollywood pretty soon.

Just so long as they're faithful to the source material in tone and feel like the Mario movie and Sonic movies have been.

“A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct.”

This is a quote from Dune by Frank Herbert.

Now is not the time to start pumping out movies to exploit this success. This is the time to understand what went right when making this film. To me that was the care that Nintendo put into the collaboration and the adherence to the source material.

If a Zelda film is made I would certainly want Eiji Aonuma to be there with a large amount of direction and guidance. Sadly, that could also mean that he wouldn’t be as involved in the next Zelda game.

This is a time to make sure the balances are correct. Nintendo doesn’t need a movie industry component to be a successful company, but it absolutely needs to make excellent consoles and games.

I’m just as excited as the next fan for what this means cinematically, but I’m also a bit frightened at the possibility that things could go a bit topsy-turvy. I trust Nintendo to keep up the great quality, but it wasn’t long ago when Nintendo was trying to have a handheld division and a home console division and one often suffered while the other prospered.

There will definitely be a Nintendo Cinematic Universe.

Second week numbers for Mario are through the roof. Not even out in Japan either.

Jack Black Song

Spoiler!

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 17 April 2023

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
DroidKnight said:

Jack Black Song

Spoiler!

Again, makes me frustrated that there weren't more original songs for this movie!!

Almost at $700 million!!

Slownenberg said:

If only Nintendo had timed a Mario game launch to coincide with the movie. We're still waiting for a dang 2D Mario game made for Switch!

I think they want to allow as many people to see the movie as possible over the next 6 months (theatrical release followed by PVOD/DVD/BR followed by streaming) then release a brand new game this holiday.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Slownenberg said:

If only Nintendo had timed a Mario game launch to coincide with the movie. We're still waiting for a dang 2D Mario game made for Switch!

I think they want to allow as many people to see the movie as possible over the next 6 months (theatrical release followed by PVOD/DVD/BR followed by streaming) then release a brand new game this holiday.

But will it be a brand new game in the mainline canon, or based on the movie?

I don’t think they’ll make a game based on the movie. The movie is already based on the games, albeit a much more surface level (but beautiful) representation.

I hope Nintendo treats their cinematic space separate from their game spaces. Movie tie-ins are almost always bad and I don’t think a game based on this movie would fare any differently.

What I’m hoping for Mario, whether it be 2D or 3D, is something to shake up the formula a bit. I definitely mean this for the 2D games. The fact that they can release a Maker for the game and just reskin past levels means that we’re still playing in the same DNA. Let’s break Mario and put ut back together in a fresh way.

3D Mario kind of does this already on its own, but I’m definitely hoping for a larger sandbox world to play in. I want to be able to get abilities or keys or activate buttons in individual levels that affect the main hub where we start. I want a real sense of progression that isn’t just tied to a certain number if stars or moons to unlock the next level.