By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Movie Breaking Records; 5 Day Opening Weekend Set To Beat Frozen 2

2/3rd of the way to $1 billion now!

Around the Network

It would be funny if they did something like a running gag for the film where Link wants to talk but every time he tries to something interrupts him.

I'm happy to see the mustached man doing so well... but I worry about overexposure. When things become too saturated commercially, people tend to turn on those things in a hurry. I hope Nintendo is smart about all this. I'm sure they are. They're Nintendo. But still...

Dang over $670 billion after just the second weekend. This thing is going to soar over a billion. Movies are going to be a major new source of revenue for Nintendo moving forward. And thank god. Cuz Nintendo has rigidly held their IP to mostly just video games for far too long. So much money sitting on the table for Nintendo expanding their IP to new formats.

Definitely expect a sequel, and animated DK movie, and Zelda live-action movie to be greenlit by Nintendo very soon.

If only Nintendo had timed a Mario game launch to coincide with the movie. We're still waiting for a dang 2D Mario game made for Switch!

Paperboy_J said:

It would be funny if they did something like a running gag for the film where Link wants to talk but every time he tries to something interrupts him.

Eh, that's excessive. What they should have is at least one gag involving Link getting chased by Cuccos.

Around the Network
JackHandy said:

I'm happy to see the mustached man doing so well... but I worry about overexposure. When things become too saturated commercially, people tend to turn on those things in a hurry. I hope Nintendo is smart about all this. I'm sure they are. They're Nintendo. But still...

I mean its not like they'll be able to spit out movies yearly.

JackHandy said:

They're not Marvel. They won't be able to spit out 2-3 movies every year even if they wanted too. It's going to be at least another 2 years before we get another Mario film assuming they get started on it right away.

The movie made over $670 million in just under 2 weeks... Yep, I'm thinking video game adaptions will be a trend in Hollywood pretty soon.

Maybe they could portray Link as a forest kid who never learned how to speak. He's something of a caveman, raised in the forest, doesn't know speech... They could pull it off if done right. A good writer can make anything happen.

I am happy to see this pass the Billion mark; Shigeru Miyamoto really deserves this....

but i wish to see still, more Mario games than Mario movies in the future...

Switch!!!