By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Diablo IV Open Beta Stats - Largest Beta in Diablo Franchise History

TruckOSaurus said:
JRPGfan said:

I played 1 and 2, forever.
The 3rd installment I dropped within 2-3 months.

Yes D4, looks much improved (watched alot of streams of it, and a few videos).
You can tell they took abit of inspiration from Path of exile.
And even though its not nearly as complex, the fact that they moved in that direction alone is a big stepup from D3.
(heck even the skill-tree, that allows for "builds", instead of just hot-swappable buttons like in D3).

Diablo needs build diversity, its kinda the lifeblood of these types of games (imo).
Its what I enjoy most about PoE as well.
The "theres no right way", go about makeing your own character however you want.
You need "room" to be able to do so in the game systems (something D3 lacked).

D3 builds are more dependent on Set items. Each class has 5 sets that drastically change how you play because they lock you in using a few skills that become insanely strong and then there's the Legacy of Dreams Legendary Gem that allows for more diverse builds where you can more or less choose what skills you want to run and still be powerful.

If you dropped out 2-3 months after release, it was still in the Auction House period of the game and I agree it was truly terrible back then.  A lot has changed since then.

Yeah the P2W auction house, with real money was wacky too.
All dev's saw was $$$, that they could take a small cut, and it would all work out in the end.
It didn't. That ontop of how dumbed down D3 was in complexity (even in items, compaired to older Diablo games) kinda took the life outta it for me.
Everyone was useing same button setups, and having a auction house didnt feel like it added anything to the game.

I had a group of friends, we all grew up on diablo and playing it together.
Non of us lasted more than 3-4 months, everyone felt the same way about it.

Thats the why of it, I'm still abit intrigued by the new installment.
It does look much better at launch then D3 did.

Around the Network
mjk45 said:
BraLoD said:

Playes 15 hours of it (1 being in queue tho) between saturday afternoon and sunday night.
Reached the max level and enjoyed a lot of what the game seems to have to offer.
Still miss being able to distribute my level up points to where I want like before, but aside from that there is hardly anything to complain (maybe that skill tree system).
Diablo 3 was one of my most played games ever, even being the least favorite, so yeah, 4 looks like will be pretty worthy it too.
Was not really planning to get it on release, still want to wait a bit for a good discount, but who knows, I'm not sure anymore xD

What are you doing playing a game not titled Legend of Dragoon. don't you be going soft on us now .

Diablo 2 had a expansion called LoD, tho.

JRPGfan said:
BraLoD said:

Playes 15 hours of it (1 being in queue tho) between saturday afternoon and sunday night.
Reached the max level and enjoyed a lot of what the game seems to have to offer.
Still miss being able to distribute my level up points to where I want like before, but aside from that there is hardly anything to complain (maybe that skill tree system).
Diablo 3 was one of my most played games ever, even being the least favorite, so yeah, 4 looks like will be pretty worthy it too.
Was not really planning to get it on release, still want to wait a bit for a good discount, but who knows, I'm not sure anymore xD

I played 1 and 2, forever.
The 3rd installment I dropped within 2-3 months.

Yes D4, looks much improved (watched alot of streams of it, and a few videos).
You can tell they took abit of inspiration from Path of exile.
And even though its not nearly as complex, the fact that they moved in that direction alone is a big stepup from D3.
(heck even the skill-tree, that allows for "builds", instead of just hot-swappable buttons like in D3).

Diablo needs build diversity, its kinda the lifeblood of these types of games (imo).
Its what I enjoy most about PoE as well.
The "theres no right way", go about makeing your own character however you want.
You need "room" to be able to do so in the game systems (something D3 lacked).

I've played a ton of D1 as well, on the PlayStation that is.

D2 I've played a good bit, loved it too, even as D1 is still by far my favorite.

The thing about D3 was, when it released my best friend got it on PS3 and it was a time of my life where I had both a lot of freedom and free time, so we would play it every single day for multiple hours, just going on and on forever.

We both liked D1 the most, and we have played it a ton as well as I mentioned, even after D3 came out, but the sheer amount of time we spent on D3 is ludicrous, lol.

D3 seems like will be stuck as my least favorite, but also as my most played, forever.

Hiku said:

I played a Sorcerer until the end of the Beta story.

They really made Sorcerer the most tanky class in the game, which is a big departure from what I'm used to.
That may change in the final game, but for now several builds pretty much has you never taking any damage.

I've always played Diablo games on PC, and this was my first time playing on console with a controller, and I have to say I'm not going back to keyboard and mouse. It's so much more relaxing with a controller, since they made it work well.

My only major complaint is that the cost of respecking your skills goes up each time you do it, to a point where people will just create a new character instead of paying the cost, which is just stupid design.
Perhaps they should instead put a cap on how often you can do it within a day.

I've been playing Diablo on a controler since 1 with no problems, D2 being the exception as if did not make it to the PS2, just now to the PS4 on the remaster.

Diablo will always be a playstation game to me, as much as it can hurt someone else reading that.

It's the sole issue regarding the blizzard deal to me. Screw CoD, lock Diablo as multiplat forever and everything is fine.

JRPGfan said:
TruckOSaurus said:

D3 builds are more dependent on Set items. Each class has 5 sets that drastically change how you play because they lock you in using a few skills that become insanely strong and then there's the Legacy of Dreams Legendary Gem that allows for more diverse builds where you can more or less choose what skills you want to run and still be powerful.

If you dropped out 2-3 months after release, it was still in the Auction House period of the game and I agree it was truly terrible back then.  A lot has changed since then.

Yeah the P2W auction house, with real money was wacky too.
All dev's saw was $$$, that they could take a small cut, and it would all work out in the end.
It didn't. That ontop of how dumbed down D3 was in complexity (even in items, compaired to older Diablo games) kinda took the life outta it for me.
Everyone was useing same button setups, and having a auction house didnt feel like it added anything to the game.

I had a group of friends, we all grew up on diablo and playing it together.
Non of us lasted more than 3-4 months, everyone felt the same way about it.

Thats the why of it, I'm still abit intrigued by the new installment.
It does look much better at launch then D3 did.

D3 is almost a completely different game from what it was on launch.

They changed the whole way that difficult worked with the game and after the paragon introduction it was like a whole new experience.

I liked vanilla D3 but the experience was much changed and improved many years ago.

Around the Network

Put about 30 hours into the game between the 2 beta weekends, played all 5 classes some and got 3 of them to high levels. It was definitely fun with an engaging story, great visuals, good audio design, fun gameplay, and lots of build variety, though there were definite issues:

-Balancing was a mess, some classes are more than 2x better than others at lower levels.

-Dungeons and cellars were too repetitive and need alot more variation in their designs

-Rubberbanding when walking between map zones at times, as well as companion animations updating at like 2 frames per second on Necro and Druid at times

-Character creation was a bit lackluster, in their bid to make classes more recognizable for PvP by giving them a set height and build/weight, they greatly lessened customization. Also there weren't as many face or hair customization options as I would have like to have seen.