By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Diablo IV Open Beta Stats - Largest Beta in Diablo Franchise History

In order to get the "Beta Wolf Pack" a player needs to reach level 20 in at least one character so that means 2.6m players at the absolute minimum played the Open Beta.

The max level cap for the Open Beta was 25.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 30 March 2023

Around the Network

I'm still holding on to my prediction that Diablo IV will be the best-selling game of the year!

Diablo III sold over 6.3 million copies in its first week and that was just on PC. Now with Diablo IV launching on everything but Switch and with phenomenal beta reviews.....I'd say 10 million in sales minimum for its opening week.

Ashava wrecked havok on people! Didn't make it there but considering I got killed a bunch of times by a Stronghold boss, I think I would have been among the deaths.

Signature goes here!

Playes 15 hours of it (1 being in queue tho) between saturday afternoon and sunday night.
Reached the max level and enjoyed a lot of what the game seems to have to offer.
Still miss being able to distribute my level up points to where I want like before, but aside from that there is hardly anything to complain (maybe that skill tree system).
Diablo 3 was one of my most played games ever, even being the least favorite, so yeah, 4 looks like will be pretty worthy it too.
Was not really planning to get it on release, still want to wait a bit for a good discount, but who knows, I'm not sure anymore xD

BraLoD said:

Playes 15 hours of it (1 being in queue tho) between saturday afternoon and sunday night.
Reached the max level and enjoyed a lot of what the game seems to have to offer.
Still miss being able to distribute my level up points to where I want like before, but aside from that there is hardly anything to complain (maybe that skill tree system).
Diablo 3 was one of my most played games ever, even being the least favorite, so yeah, 4 looks like will be pretty worthy it too.
Was not really planning to get it on release, still want to wait a bit for a good discount, but who knows, I'm not sure anymore xD

What are you doing playing a game not titled Legend of Dragoon. don't you be going soft on us now .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:

I'm still holding on to my prediction that Diablo IV will be the best-selling game of the year!

Diablo III sold over 6.3 million copies in its first week and that was just on PC. Now with Diablo IV launching on everything but Switch and with phenomenal beta reviews.....I'd say 10 million in sales minimum for its opening week.

What would the competition be of the top of my head I can think of  Zelda and Spiderman and Starfield but the first two are locked to one system along  with Spiderman being forecast for later in the year and Starfield for  September so yes I can see it happening.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

BraLoD said:

I played 1 and 2, forever.
The 3rd installment I dropped within 2-3 months.

Yes D4, looks much improved (watched alot of streams of it, and a few videos).
You can tell they took abit of inspiration from Path of exile.
And even though its not nearly as complex, the fact that they moved in that direction alone is a big stepup from D3.
(heck even the skill-tree, that allows for "builds", instead of just hot-swappable buttons like in D3).

Diablo needs build diversity, its kinda the lifeblood of these types of games (imo).
Its what I enjoy most about PoE as well.
The "theres no right way", go about makeing your own character however you want.
You need "room" to be able to do so in the game systems (something D3 lacked).

JRPGfan said:
BraLoD said:

I played 1 and 2, forever.
The 3rd installment I dropped within 2-3 months.

Yes D4, looks much improved (watched alot of streams of it, and a few videos).
You can tell they took abit of inspiration from Path of exile.
And even though its not nearly as complex, the fact that they moved in that direction alone is a big stepup from D3.
(heck even the skill-tree, that allows for "builds", instead of just hot-swappable buttons like in D3).

Diablo needs build diversity, its kinda the lifeblood of these types of games (imo).
Its what I enjoy most about PoE as well.
The "theres no right way", go about makeing your own character however you want.
You need "room" to be able to do so in the game systems (something D3 lacked).

D3 builds are more dependent on Set items. Each class has 5 sets that drastically change how you play because they lock you in using a few skills that become insanely strong and then there's the Legacy of Dreams Legendary Gem that allows for more diverse builds where you can more or less choose what skills you want to run and still be powerful.

If you dropped out 2-3 months after release, it was still in the Auction House period of the game and I agree it was truly terrible back then.  A lot has changed since then.

Signature goes here!

I played a Sorcerer until the end of the Beta story.

They really made Sorcerer the most tanky class in the game, which is a big departure from what I'm used to.
That may change in the final game, but for now several builds pretty much has you never taking any damage.

I've always played Diablo games on PC, and this was my first time playing on console with a controller, and I have to say I'm not going back to keyboard and mouse. It's so much more relaxing with a controller, since they made it work well.

My only major complaint is that the cost of respecking your skills goes up each time you do it, to a point where people will just create a new character instead of paying the cost, which is just stupid design.
Perhaps they should instead put a cap on how often you can do it within a day.

mjk45 said:
gtotheunit91 said:

What would the competition be of the top of my head I can think of  Zelda and Spiderman and Starfield but the first two are locked to one system along  with Spiderman being forecast for later in the year and Starfield for  September so yes I can see it happening.

Hogwarts Legacy and this years CoD would also be the biggest contenders. 2022 was the HUGE CoD release and the following year is typically a weaker entry. So I'm thinking there's a good chance that any of these other titles taking the top spot. Zelda would probably be my second choice. 29 million in sales for Breath of the Wild, and many have been waiting on this sequel.