By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So GTA V never came to the Switch...

Tagged games:

Soundwave said:
VAMatt said:

This is almost certainly correct.  Their bread is buttered by GTA Online.  The Switch really isn't setup for that.

In any case, Take Two is a big company.  The decision not to port it to Switch was made purely by the numbers.  So, something tells them that the ROI isn't there.  

You'd be surprised how these things go sometimes. Mortal Kombat for example wasn't going to be on Switch until Ed Boon (the creator of the franchise) wanted it done because he liked the Switch system. And it sold reasonably well it seems. 

Yes, like Crash Bandicoot being ported after one dev thought it would be cool to test it on the system

Around the Network

They wouldn't be able to release the online because it would be 16 players like the PS3 and xbox one online. Also I don't think anyone has mentioned it but gta5 is at least 60gb which is too big for switch's internal storage

Jumpin said:

A bit of an adjacent topic, but there could be some tie in. Are there any well ported games by Take 2 on the Switch?
Civilization 6, the GTA trilogy, and WWE 2K18 all had severe problems.

Civ 6 might be the worst of the three as the game is very slow when running through AI turns, bad in the early game and it only gets worse as it progresses. The thing is only playable if you’re multitasking, which is easy enough with Switch if you’re in handheld mode. Later in the game it will crash repeatedly - shutting down graphical features and auto saving will buy some more time, but it only postpones the inevitable, a 100% repeatable crash by saving, and a high chance of crashing on each turn. The game feels like mid-Beta with blocker level bugs.

It’s possible Take 2 doesn’t consider the Switch an important enough platform to put a proper budget into the software, and either they put insufficient QA resources on the projects or the much more likely situation where their QA caught all the bugs across the three games and the tripe-ass wannabe yuppie executives signed off on it anyway.

LA Noir is a very good port on Switch.

What on earth did you experience there with Civilisation 6? I put 300 hours into it on my Switch and had barely any issues. Some occasional stuttering when nuking cities, a few crashes and long loading times was about all I had. I consider that a very good port too.

Pinkie_pie said:

They wouldn't be able to release the online because it would be 16 players like the PS3 and xbox one online. Also I don't think anyone has mentioned it but gta5 is at least 60gb which is too big for switch's internal storage

Doom Eternal is 80gb on Steam but 29gb on Switch.

Kakadu18 said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Still doesn't fit on switch's internal storage and need sd to download doom eternal . I just think it could be one of the reasons why gta5 never came to the switch 

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:
Kakadu18 said:

Still doesn't fit on switch's internal storage and need sd to download doom eternal . I just think it could be one of the reasons why gta5 never came to the switch 

The Switch has 32gb internal storage and the OLED has 64gb. A 60gb GTA V properly compressed could be just 20gb.

Kakadu18 said:
Pinkie_pie said:

The Switch has 32gb internal storage and the OLED has 64gb. A 60gb GTA V properly compressed could be just 20gb.

The original switch only has around 25gb storage for games. LA noire a rockstar game is 29gb on Switch and need sd to install it. And gta5 is bigger than LA noire.  Like I said it could be just one of the reasons why gta5 never came to the switch

Last edited by Pinkie_pie - on 11 April 2023

I have a handful of open world games for the Switch. Some run decently (Zelda BotW/Witcher 3). Others run pretty badly (Saints Row the Third last time I played it but I think it's been patched).

I just don't think the Switch is a good fit for open worlds. I think Saints Row 3 runs worse than it did on Xbox 360! Plus the Switch lacks analog triggers for driving.

d21lewis said:

I have a handful of open world games for the Switch. Some run decently (Zelda BotW/Witcher 3). Others run pretty badly (Saints Row the Third last time I played it but I think it's been patched).

I just don't think the Switch is a good fit for open worlds. I think Saints Row 3 runs worse than it did on Xbox 360! Plus the Switch lacks analog triggers for driving.

That is poor optimisation. The Switch is far more powerful than the X360 and has plenty of far more demanding games running very well on it like the two you mentioned, BotW and The Witcher 3. Assassin's Creed IV runs flawlessly on the Switch too for example.

d21lewis said:

Saint Row 3 runs at an uncapped framerate (can vary between 24 and 56 fps) with 1080p resolution docked, which is a terrible choice