By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Playing Astro Bot on the Horizon Until Dawn

the-pi-guy said:
EricHiggin said:

Well what's the point in upgrading from PS5 Pro to PS6 if there's not a large enough gap? Same thing as why upgrade from PS5 to Pro if there's not a large enough gap? Why upgrade if it's flat out too expensive?

SNY can't launch a $699 PS5 Pro at 17TF, 4 years into the gen, and then like a 30TF PS6 at $699 4 years later. The only way that works is in inflation halts or drops a considerable amount over that period so the PS6 can launch at a reasonable price.

Otherwise we'd end up with something like a 20TF PS6 for $499. How would PS5 Pro buyers feel at that point? That or maybe a 10 year generation.

Eventually you'd have to ask yourself, would that mid gen Pro console investment be better spent elsewhere?

A lot depends on inflation calming down.

One issue is that you're viewing this exclusively through the lens of the GPU. 

PS5 Pro is almost entirely aimed at having better GPU performance. But that's not what a new generation necessarily brings. The PS5 brought big advantages with CPU, and massive advantages with I/O over the PS4. Despite the cross gen period, it's still capable of playing games that weren't possible on PS4.

Another issue, is that performance can still get better. We're just not seeing the same systems get cheaper anymore. We're also seeing more specialized hardware to effectively boost performance in specific ways, like we're seeing ray tracing hardware and AI.  

Generations also seem to be trending towards getting longer. This gen is likely to be at least 8 years, whereas they used to be closer to 5 or 6.  

My point is very general. What's the point in upgrading if it's not enough of a performance gap or too expensive (for the performance)?

Generations lasting longer is a choice. We could've easily had a PS6 in 2025-2026, which would've come with a new CPU, GPU, RT, AI, etc.

It also likely could've been around PS5 Pro performance or a bit higher, for $499.

Around the Network

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3zS2aUa3qQ&t=1169s

Digital Foundry's Richard Leadbetter says the RTX 4070 is the close comparison wholistically to the PS5 pro.   

the-pi-guy said:

Digital Foundry's Richard Leadbetter says the RTX 4070 is the close comparison wholistically to the PS5 pro.   

4070 was the high end of my expectations. Hopefully it's true and PS5's feature set lives up to the hype.

Sony put this up on their store today. Not even on sale. lol best seller my ass unless one of the devs bought the hoodie. So 1 is the best seller for Condord merch lol

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Sony put this up on their store today. Not even on sale. lol best seller my ass unless one of the devs bought the hoodie. So 1 is the best seller for Condord merch lol

*shrugs*

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

How are this priced relative to the PS5Pro?

PS sale on Steam right now!

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/PlayStationPublisherSale2024?snr=1_4_4__118

twintail said:

So, I can get a Slim for $513 (equivalent) or Pro for $819.

As much as I want the pro I'll probably lean towards going with the Slim. I've been gaming at 1080P for so long now, so guess will just continue with performance mode haha

Ultimately, the stuff I buy is not high-end models, and while I could afford the Pro with little trouble, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with $800+. 

but might change my mind by December.

If you plan to get more than one platform (like the next nintendo system) - better to go with the Slim.

Personally, if I never had a PS5 , I would go with the Pro however looking at the small list of games getting a boost, I'll stick with my OG PS5.

twintail said:

How are this priced relative to the PS5Pro?

It easily costs $550 for just the GPU.

While not an exact 1:1 comparison, the 4070 is certainly the closest GPU the Pro can compare to in terms of raw horsepower. The capabilities of PSSR being the biggest unknown but will be the biggest reason why the Pro potentially succeeds in its claims. With no noticeable CPU upgrades, that means the CPU will be a bottleneck, which it already has been in several notable cases. A cheap $120 CPU can outclass what the Pro has. You can't have a beefy GPU with a weaker CPU, and vice versa, otherwise you'll never be fully taking advantage of the hardware you have.

I think this is where PSSR will really have to show what it's capable of to alleviate the bottleneck. Dragon's Dogma 2 will be the best immediate example at the consoles release. It's a heavily CPU bound game and consoles really struggled running it. And with the framerate already unlocked on console, what the Pro is capable of will immediately be apparent. But this also will be first generation of PSSR, so I won't be surprised if it will take refinement or even entirely new hardware such as the PS6 for the tech to really shine as features such as Frame Generation doesn't appear to be available in this first iteration.