By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Playing Astro Bot on the Horizon Until Dawn

Not getting a PS5 Pro unless my PS5 gets really compromised or dies and have money to shell out for a Pro instead of a used PS5.
$700 even for better specs and 2TB SSD is too high of a price. There's no vertical stand or included disc drive, which is ridiculous. For comparison, even if I traded in my PS5 Standard and got $300-$350 in trade value ($400 would probably only happen in a really good promotion), that's still $350-$400 I have to pay out of pocket. I'd rather save that money for Switch 2. Also keep in mind that a decent chunk (though not majority) of my time on PS5 is playing PS4 titles. How much better could they possibly look on PS5 Pro? Maybe a little better, but PS5 Pro is clearly designed around boosting PS5 games.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

Please make sure to try to sway anyone you know that might be interested in consoles to buy something else, even to build a PC.

This NEEDS to fail as hard as possible and make Sony officially consider it as a big mistake and work to get people trust back.

BraLoD said:

Please make sure to try to sway anyone you know that might be interested in consoles to buy something else, even to build a PC.

This NEEDS to fail as hard as possible and make Sony officially consider it as a big mistake and work to get people trust back.

If everyone shifts over to PC, what makes you think that getting the people's trust back will make them shift back to console?

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

BraLoD said:

just tell them to get a ps5 slim. The vast majority shouldn't bother with this.

DroidKnight said:
BraLoD said:

If everyone shifts over to PC, what makes you think that getting the people's trust back will make them shift back to console?

Games, exactly what they did with the PS3.

Nowdays Sony release their games on PC after 2 years or so, yeah, so it might be harder.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, way to go to completely screw up over Astro Bot hype, the surge of bad news will definitely hurt it now =/

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:
BraLoD said:

Yeah, base PS5, Switch, Xbox, PC, anything but this, what it matters is that the PS5 Pro fails hard.

Although price is one factor, I think what's strange about a Pro model is how unessential it feels compared to last gen.  While PS4 had notable improvements over Betamax One, any PC gamer could tell where they cut corners to sell at $400/$500.  Setting aside the quagmire of the Series S, most PC junkies look at what PS5 and Series X offered in 2020 and said "that's not bad, actually."  GPU, CPU, RAM were pretty good and incorporating SSD made it feel future-proofed.  

It's a premium device. They're not expecting it to sell much. It's frankly more aimed at the people who are willing to spend $800 on a GPU.

We're also not in the best place for progress. It used to be the case that we could smaller systems that would get substantially cheaper. And it just doesn't seem to be possible anymore.

It also just feels pretty unnecessary. There were PS4 games struggling to hit 1080p30, that hasn't been the case this gen. A ton of games are hitting 1440p60 or 4k30. 

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 10 September 2024

BraLoD said:
Zippy6 said:

Yeah, base PS5, Switch, Xbox, PC, anything but this, what it matters is that the PS5 Pro fails hard.

This is just a premium SKU. As long as PS5 slim keeps selling, it doesn't matter if the Pro makes up a small percentage of the overall pie.

There are benefits to Sony nonetheless, th most obvious one being that they can implement AI upscaling now to improve upon for PS6 instead. 

Anyhow, a digital slim + 2tb SSD off OS Direct is $630. $70 more for the upgraded hardware and software features will be worth it for some people.

Granted, dropping the 2tb SSD and WiFi 7 to lower the price would've been a better idea I feel. 

The prices outside of US is insane. £700 is ridiculous for a console which has essentially a low tier, mid range GPU. And its not even that better speccced than a regular PS5. If it had double or more performance (raster) and even more RT performance I could maybe see it.

To add insult to injury they don't even include a disk drive. Nor a Pro controller. I guess this is what you get when Microsoft essentially exits the console business, in the traditional sense anyways.