By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation |OT| Playing Astro Bot on the Horizon Until Dawn

twintail said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Nah, there is no going back once the rug has been pulled lol. That would just be bad business and would sour the PC playerbase that they worked on a nearly a decade at that point to build up. 

He saying in general first party. He's not referring to only live service. 

Sony going day 1 with live service games is only the first step. Eventually they will start moving up the PC releases of their more expensive games. But really, it's hard to gauge anything from Totoki's comment because he could be referring to anything: what Sony is basically attempting to do now, a push for greater parity with PC, or maybe consoles in general. 

What I do know, is that since Sony supports PC, it makes sense to follow Capcom and start getting their games compatible with Apple hardware. And their live service games should really expand to mobile. 

I'll be interested to see where Sony goes from here. But I think I'd still buy console hardware since I have zero need for an actual gaming PC. 

I honestly  wish xbox would just make a console that's a open platform that thing would sell like hot cakes.

Around the Network

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

Need for Speed Unbound | PS5

The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition | PS5

Tales of Arise | PS4, PS5

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla | PS4, PS5

LEGO Worlds | PS4

LEGO Jurassic World | PS4

Roguebook | PS4, PS5

Rogue Lords | PS4

Tales of Zestiria | PS4

PlayStation Premium | Classics

Resistance: Retribution | PS4, PS5

Tales of Symphonia | PS4, PS5

Tales of Vesperia | PS4, PS5

Jet Moto 2 PS4, PS5

Solid month of Tales games coming to PS+ next week, I've never played the dlc to Outer Worlds either, so I'll have to check them out.

Last edited by rapsuperstar31 - on 14 February 2024

G2ThaUNiT said:

Nah, there is no going back once the rug has been pulled lol. That would just be bad business and would sour the PC playerbase that they worked on a nearly a decade at that point to build up. 

Would it though?

Sony has already started day and date PC releases with Helldivers 2. Concord is going to be their next first party title to launch Day One on PC. Having select single player games go day one but still have PS6 exclusives doesn't seem like the end of the world to me lol. It would definitely be more of a PR nightmare for PlayStation fans. Still a very unlikely scenario for this generation though.

The question was also about improving profit margins going forward. That very well could be Helldivers 2 releasing Day One on PC. The launch of that game wouldn't be accounted for in this report, but would line up with what Hiroki Totoki is saying. 

I've always wondered how it would be playing PSP games via PS4/PS5.

Those games aren't built with the second thumbstick in mind.

PotentHerbs said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Would it though?

Sony has already started day and date PC releases with Helldivers 2. Concord is going to be their next first party title to launch Day One on PC. Having select single player games go day one but still have PS6 exclusives doesn't seem like the end of the world to me lol. It would definitely be more of a PR nightmare for PlayStation fans. Still a very unlikely scenario for this generation though.

The question was also about improving profit margins going forward. That very well could be Helldivers 2 releasing Day One on PC. The launch of that game wouldn't be accounted for in this report, but would line up with what Hiroki Totoki is saying. 

The second Sony decides to release a major single-player AAA first-party title day in date on PC, there won't be any going back. The expectation of the playerbase will have been set at that point. 

Totoki specifically pointing out, "In the past, we wanted to popularize console and the first-party titles' main purpose was to make the console popular. It is true, but there is a synergy to it. So if you have strong first-party content, not only with our console but also other platforms like computers, first-party can be grown with multiplatform and that can help operating profit to improve. So that is another one we want to proactively work on."

I don't really see much wiggle room on how to interpret this as anything other than he's referring to all first-party games. Especially when he's talking about the purpose of first-party titles being to popularize your console. Helldivers 2 does not meet that criteria. The God of War, Spider-Man, and Horizon titles do. Helldivers 2 certainly does help some with the profit margins, but when every single major single-player release is costing in the range from $200-$300 million to make, a AA release like Helldivers 2, even being the massive success that it is, doesn't really move the needle as much as someone in Totoki's position would like. 

I have no doubt this was a major reason for Sony's GAAS push. Sony's console sales peaked with the PS2 and hasn't reached that milestone ever since. And with the massive increase in costs of games to make these days while the console playerbase not growing overall, it's really just natural to start having the bigger push outside of Sony's walled garden. 

I'm really interested to see how Sony's mobile plans turn out as we still don't know anything in that aspect lol. Which would be MASSIVE for Sony to make a splash in the mobile space. 

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:

I've always wondered how it would be playing PSP games via PS4/PS5.

Those games aren't built with the second thumbstick in mind.

I tried the PSP Killzone and some random JRPG I never heard of. Neither were very good but maybe more of the games being bad than control issues. I hope they put the PSP Ys games on there tho.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Sony going multiplatform too?. All Nintendo had to do was wake up on a Wednesday morning and pretty much win the console space. Wish my life was that easy.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

G2ThaUNiT said:

The second Sony decides to release a major single-player AAA first-party title day in date on PC, there won't be any going back. The expectation of the playerbase will have been set at that point. 

Totoki specifically pointing out, "In the past, we wanted to popularize console and the first-party titles' main purpose was to make the console popular. It is true, but there is a synergy to it. So if you have strong first-party content, not only with our console but also other platforms like computers, first-party can be grown with multiplatform and that can help operating profit to improve. So that is another one we want to proactively work on."

I don't really see much wiggle room on how to interpret this as anything other than he's referring to all first-party games. Especially when he's talking about the purpose of first-party titles being to popularize your console. Helldivers 2 does not meet that criteria. The God of War, Spider-Man, and Horizon titles do. Helldivers 2 certainly does help some with the profit margins, but when every single major single-player release is costing in the range from $200-$300 million to make, a AA release like Helldivers 2, even being the massive success that it is, doesn't really move the needle as much as someone in Totoki's position would like. 

I have no doubt this was a major reason for Sony's GAAS push. Sony's console sales peaked with the PS2 and hasn't reached that milestone ever since. And with the massive increase in costs of games to make these days while the console playerbase not growing overall, it's really just natural to start having the bigger push outside of Sony's walled garden. 

I'm really interested to see how Sony's mobile plans turn out as we still don't know anything in that aspect lol. Which would be MASSIVE for Sony to make a splash in the mobile space. 

There's wiggle room because its an open ended question. The sentence after that, "I personally think there are opportunities out there for improvement of margins, so I would like to go aggressive in improving our margin performance." 

To me, that's more than just software releases, it could entail layoffs, easing M&A cost for the upcoming FY, no price cuts/discounts, shipping more disc models, it could even mean greenlighting/funding more AA games with shorter development cycles.

Another thing to note is that Sony's profits from PlayStation 5 aren't actually bad. Launch aligned its doing much better than the PS4. Their operating income for FY22 was 1.8B with Bungie on the books, and Sony attributed just under 400M in costs to integrating them in that FY. Their M&A costs are also peaking in this current FY. Their margins improve significantly just from finishing off their payments for Bungie. 

I get why Sony is doing Day and Date for their live service games, but they still make more money pushing their console, and they are even starting to take Xbox slice of the pie. In my opinion, the biggest issue right now is reducing the price of the PS5, and whether Sony can do that in a timely manner. 

[RUMOR] Jeff Grubb: A new Astrobot game might release later this year

PotentHerbs said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

There's wiggle room because its an open ended question. The sentence after that, "I personally think there are opportunities out there for improvement of margins, so I would like to go aggressive in improving our margin performance." 

To me, that's more than just software releases, it could entail layoffs, easing M&A cost for the upcoming FY, no price cuts/discounts, shipping more disc models, it could even mean greenlighting/funding more AA games with shorter development cycles.

Another thing to note is that Sony's profits from PlayStation 5 aren't actually bad. Launch aligned its doing much better than the PS4. Their operating income for FY22 was 1.8B with Bungie on the books, and Sony attributed just under 400M in costs to integrating them in that FY. Their M&A costs are also peaking in this current FY. Their margins improve significantly just from finishing off their payments for Bungie. 

I get why Sony is doing Day and Date for their live service games, but they still make more money pushing their console, and they are even starting to take Xbox slice of the pie. In my opinion, the biggest issue right now is reducing the price of the PS5, and whether Sony can do that in a timely manner. 

That's a completely fair assessment! Totaki already is coming off as a very no-nonsense numbers guy, and he'll do whatever it takes to ensure he likes the numbers PlayStation is bringing in. I think he's only supposed to succeed Jim Ryan for a year, so we'll have to see what kind of changes he makes during his tenure.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like reducing the price of the PS5 is on the table. Totaki pointed out that in previous gens as time went on, it became cheaper to produce consoles. But with the PS5, the parts are becoming more expensive as the life cycle goes on. Which is really weird. While most industries go up in price with time, tech was always an exception to that rule where the price would go down. 

But I would love for Sony to start greenlighting more AA games with smaller budgets and shorter dev cycles. To start the year, there's already been quite a few insanely successful AA games, Helldivers 2 being the most recent example that shows there's a huge market for that level of game.