By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft gives market share against PlayStation

yes they might pay less than 15 years ago but they still pay

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
rapsuperstar31 said:

Over time you build sales relationships and partnerships with the companies you have been doing business with for decades.  Pretty sure the account executive from Sony that goes into Square Enix every few months with a few boxes of donuts, sports tickets, free lunch and dinner meetings, does a better job than Microsoft's account executive.  It probably doesn't work exactly like that, but I'm in sales in another line of work, and if I go into a company offer them good rates and tell them not to use my competitors it works every time as long as you give them good service and give them a good return on business.

Good relationship, nurtured with both time, results, cordiality and etc is a powerful tool that make business easier without having to go the corruption route or high expenses (when doing things right but trying to expedite it). In my company we call that leveraging our influence within ethical and legal boundaries.

No... It is just money :)
It's fully legal but that's what it is... Moneyhating :) No matter how you want to sugarcoat it or call it to make sound better!

And of course, everybody is doing it (some more than others but that's def. not exclusive to Sony).

DonFerrari said:
trunkswd said:

The direct quote from Brad Smith: "Think about the market in Europe. It is a market where Sony has an 80% share. Globally, it is about 70/30. In Japan, it is 96/4. These numbers have been remarkably steady for two decades. Even last year, when there were issues with Sony's supply chain, they came back strong."

Link to the quote: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/live-microsofts-activision-blizzard-press-conference-in-brussels

Look, Sony can outsell us even when they don't manufacture and we say we are close to meeting demand =p

Next numbers they will try to compare PS4Pro+PS5 versus Series X to put PS even more in the lead kkkkk

Do you understand why Microsoft are showing those numbers in the first place and what was their end goal at this hearing?
I don't think you do :)

kirby007 said:
DonFerrari said:

Good relationship, nurtured with both time, results, cordiality and etc is a powerful tool that make business easier without having to go the corruption route or high expenses (when doing things right but trying to expedite it). In my company we call that leveraging our influence within ethical and legal boundaries.

paying for exclusivity is legal

Sure is, where I said othervise? That is where I pointed it is more expensive than nurturing relationship but can expedite the process.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Imaginedvl said:
DonFerrari said:

It's fully legal but that's what it is... Moneyhating :) No matter how you want to sugarcoat it or call it to make sound better!

And of course, everybody is doing it (some more than others but that's def. not exclusive to Sony).

Not always. A lot of exclusives on Playstation didn't need any moneyhat, they were simple fruit of relationship and past success like Yakuza and Persona. It needed MS expending money to receive the content but there was 0 barriers from Sony on they getting the content after MS gone there and paid to have what Sony was getting for free.

Imaginedvl said:
DonFerrari said:

Look, Sony can outsell us even when they don't manufacture and we say we are close to meeting demand =p

Next numbers they will try to compare PS4Pro+PS5 versus Series X to put PS even more in the lead kkkkk

Do you understand why Microsoft are showing those numbers in the first place and what was their end goal at this hearing?
I don't think you do :)

Yes I do, put themselves in the worst possible light while putting Sony as a big bully.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Imaginedvl said:

Not always. A lot of exclusives on Playstation didn't need any moneyhat, they were simple fruit of relationship and past success like Yakuza and Persona. It needed MS expending money to receive the content but there was 0 barriers from Sony on they getting the content after MS gone there and paid to have what Sony was getting for free.

Money, is the only reason why those exclusivity deals happen. Nothing else. Maybe sometimes you get something more tangible assets/resources (cloud infrastracuture/compute time out of it, stuff like that) but at the end; on paper it goes down to a simple thing: numbers.

We are talking about public companies here... They care about ONE thing (and should be caring about that only): revenues, profits and how much money the shareholders will make. Not about donuts... 

If the other one comes with more money; those donuts will mean nothing...

No need to argue if you really want to believe otherwise anyway :)

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 23 February 2023

Imaginedvl said:
DonFerrari said:

Money, is the only reason why those exclusivity deals happen. Nothing else. Maybe sometimes you get something more tangible assets/resources (cloud infrastracuture/compute time out of it, stuff like that) but at the end; on paper it goes down to a simple thing: numbers.

We are talking about public companies here... They care about ONE thing (and should be caring about that only): revenues, profits and how much money the shareholders will make. Not about donuts... 

Depends on the negotiation and deals made, if Xbox offers for Final Fantasy XVI lets just say SE 30 million dollars for a 1 year exclusive deal where the game needs to be on gamepass, and Sony offers less but the game will be go full price in retail Sony is offering less money but the better opportunity for SE to make a good return on investment.  If both companies offer the same price with no stipulations Sony is more than likely to get the contract/game with the better relationship. 

Imaginedvl said:
DonFerrari said:

Sure money is always important, but that doesn't mean it will be from moneyhat. Plenty and plenty of japanese titles didn't release on Xbox, and sometimes not on Switch and someothers on PS, and there was 0 moneyhat involved it was just that the platform considered that their profit and roi would be better by sticking as exclusive instead of multiplat and you do know there is just a lot of examples.

I'm all for dunking on corporations. I believe we should be preventing mergers between them. There's already too much economic power being concentrated into too few hands (see the video below, which references this merger). I believe that the MS—ABK merger should be blocked as a matter of principle, and I say this as someone who mains on Xbox (though I also own a PS5 & Switch, in case anyone forgot). Just because Xbox's global market share has declined since the days of the 360 is no excuse for approval. Microsoft is an incredibly profitable company, and as an economic entity are far larger than Sony or Nintendo. What they lack in market share they make up for in financial muscle. Any time a profitable company starts pleading poverty about anything for any reason, using it as an excuse to engage in acquisitions of other companies or to have regulations cut or to prevent wages from increasing, a healthy dose of skepticism is warranted. One gaming company buying out other gaming companies, be they large publishers or smaller studios, is just them using their financial power to press their thumbs down on the scale.

But please, let's not turn this into another excuse to engage in platform warring. There's been a couple of comments bordering on it. Remember, game consoles are just electronic toys, nothing more. We don't need to get hostile towards each other over them. Also, the companies that make them aren't your friends. Not one of them needs defending.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

kazuyamishima said:

Very Bizarre to not include Nintendo in there, but I understand what they are trying to achieve

Qwark said:

Also doesn't Nintendo also make consoles or is it only wrong if Sony doesn't see them as a main competitor.

trunkswd said:
Qwark said:

Also doesn't Nintendo also make consoles or is it only wrong if Sony doesn't see them as a main competitor.

It is odd Microsoft didn't include Nintendo as their marketshare would be even smaller. But I guess the main focus from the regulators has been Call of Duty, which is currently NOT on Nintendo consoles. 

I guess they are not considering Nintendo as a direct competitor due to its Blue Ocean strategy.