By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Prime Remastered out on Switch... today (Digital, physical 22nd of Feb)

curl-6 said:

It's great to see that Retro have lost none of their excellence in their long hiatus.
Whatever went down to keep them out of action for so many years, their ability to deliver brilliant results seems undimmed.

I have no doubt they had another game in development in the late Wii U or early Switch era that got cancelled for whatever reason. Otherwise seems really wierd they were absent for years.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
curl-6 said:

It's great to see that Retro have lost none of their excellence in their long hiatus.
Whatever went down to keep them out of action for so many years, their ability to deliver brilliant results seems undimmed.

I have no doubt they had another game in development in the late Wii U or early Switch era that got cancelled for whatever reason. Otherwise seems really wierd they were absent for years.

I mean, yeah. They weren't paid for sitting on their asses for 5 years. It's a given that they were working on something, guess it'll never see the light of day.

SKMBlake said:
Leynos said:

OG Trilogy used Unreal 2. MP4 isn't going to do that. If it's not in house then UE4 is likely.

No it's a heavily modified UE2, and it became Retro's in-house engine that they still use as of today (as I said, they also used in Donkey Kong Returns and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze). Remaking MP on the latest version of their engine doesn't seem surprising, nor if they use it for MP4.

Remember Mortal Kombat 11 uses a heavily modified UE3 for eg

h2ohno said:

When has it ever been said that the RUDE ending was based on Unreal Engine 2? The timeline doesn't add up. They had a working FPS engine in 2000 that Miyamoto saw and suggested they use for a Metroid game, and they had a playable demo of Metroid Prime at E3 2001. Unreal Engine 2 didn't even release until 2001.

curl-6 said:

I haven't seen any verifiable source on RUDE being based on Unreal 2, and I've looked.
I'm happy to stand corrected if anybody can provide actual evidence, but from what I've read it seems to be an unsubstantiated rumor.

Okay so I digged (dug?) into this and some "dataminers" and articles claimed the RUDE engine was based on UE2, but no source confirming this, and even sources explaining how sophisticated the RUDE engine was, and how it was its own thing.

So yeah, I should be more careful with what I read online.

SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

I haven't seen any verifiable source on RUDE being based on Unreal 2, and I've looked.
I'm happy to stand corrected if anybody can provide actual evidence, but from what I've read it seems to be an unsubstantiated rumor.

Okay so I digged (dug?) into this and some "dataminers" and articles claimed the RUDE engine was based on UE2, but no source confirming this, and even sources explaining how sophisticated the RUDE engine was, and how it was its own thing.

So yeah, I should be more careful with what I read online.

It's definitely based on a fork of Unreal, you can tell with some of the geometry setup, especially with flora. - Certain engines have a "look" to them.

But just like Creation Engine is based on Gamebryo, which in turn was based on Net Immerse, it's still it's own thing.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I can't believe this happened again.

Around the Network

Developers and the like not being happy with the way they are being credited, the original Devs who are no longer a part of retro studios, or any other studios that worked on the remaster have been relegated to just a single card during the credits

Kneetos said:

Developers and the like not being happy with the way they are being credited, the original Devs who are no longer a part of retro studios, or any other studios that worked on the remaster have been relegated to just a single card during the credits

Ok, I get that, but they should've at least been acknowledged.

CaptainExplosion said:

I can't believe this happened again.

Is that not enough? They credited both teams that worked on previous versions. They really need to mention everyone by name who worked on it 20 years ago? It's the same developer even.

People and their egos.

anonymunchy said:

Is that not enough? They credited both teams that worked on previous versions. They really need to mention everyone by name who worked on it 20 years ago? It's the same developer even.

People and their egos.

I agree. They were acknowledged. Their names are in the original game's credits.

I've seen people seriously say that the developers who worked on the original game over 20 years ago need to be mentioned here to get job opportunities as if the original credits somehow disappeared from existence. The guy who complained first about this designed the doors in the original and in this remaster his work isn't even featured at all. They made completely different doors.

95 on MC, I don't think it will get any lower or higher at this point, best 1st party game of the Switch since Super Mario Odyssey, definitly a must-have