By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - India may now be the most populous country in the world ahead of China

With China's population declining while India's population continues to grow, some analysts are now projecting that India's population has overtaken China's population. Previous projections were that this would happen in April 2023.

China's historic population decline raises the possibility that India has overtaken China in size - Fortune

Around the Network

Good thing for China not for India. India is only a third the size of China.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

So many cities in India are overcrowded, with a lot of poor and homeless people, this is not good.

Qwark said:

Good thing for China not for India. India is only a third the size of China.

Kind of. India actually sits on some of the most fertile land in the entire world as far as sources of food, water, and climate are concerned. That's part of why the Indian subcontinent has so many people living on it to begin with. It has the second largest amount of farmable land after the US. Most of China's population is crowded onto the Pacific coast because most of the country is mountains and arid plateaus. Its land is nowhere near as farmable as the land of India or the US.  China also has the same rapidly aging demographics as countries like Italy, Japan, and South Korea, only on a much larger scale. A lot of their resources are going to be tied up into taking care of hundreds of millions of elderly people. 

India's birth rate is also slowing considerably. A lot of its growth versus China is because its population is younger on average and there are more women of childbearing age. What will really be interesting is if Nigeria, a country not much larger than Texas, passes China in population as some projections show for the year 2100.

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 19 January 2023

Overpopulation isn't really a problem but what will climate change do to us. Like pakistan was flooded. Will India also get flooded? That is more scary. China's population is also aging so China needs to start taking immigrants or it will suffer like Japan. Of course that will change china's politics too. The CCP has a huge problem on its hand. And I hope the BJP is destroyed in India the party sucks and is fascist

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
Eagle367 said:

Overpopulation isn't really a problem but what will climate change do to us. Like pakistan was flooded. Will India also get flooded? That is more scary. China's population is also aging so China needs to start taking immigrants or it will suffer like Japan. Of course that will change china's politics too. The CCP has a huge problem on its hand. And I hope the BJP is destroyed in India the party sucks and is fascist

In the grand scheme of things overpopulation isn't that big of a problem. Locally however it poses some serious pressure on the available land, infrastructure and population. The increasing pollution also limits the access to food and clean drinking water. So in general India is in pretty deep shit as well. Especially now that climate change will also cause more weather extremes and more harvests too fail. As for China the sheet size of China might make it possible for China to survive, also they have no issue with slave labouring a minority, so they can pull of a Qatar, I guess.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

"In the grand scheme of things overpopulation isn't that big of a problem"

Depends if you want to be wealthy. Overpopulation limits the wealth potential of the people that live there. China having less people than India is a good thing.

A collapsing population is a bad thing. A stable not growing one for a large population country is good.

-----

The problem in Asia is the youth population 0-5 years old is almost half the 40-45. A stable population would now require 4 kids per family to avert losing half the population. That is not good.

Garrus said:

"In the grand scheme of things overpopulation isn't that big of a problem"

Depends if you want to be wealthy. Overpopulation limits the wealth potential of the people that live there. China having less people than India is a good thing.

A collapsing population is a bad thing. A stable not growing one for a large population country is good.

-----

The problem in Asia is the youth population 0-5 years old is almost half the 40-45. A stable population would now require 4 kids per family to avert losing half the population. That is not good.

That's the situation China finds itself in. Its population is aging faster than its wealth. And even with the one-child policy lifted, a lot of them are simply choosing to opt out of raising families. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the population gets even more lopsided in India's favor when many of the single Chinese men learn there are plenty of young women in India and immigrate there. China has a huge imbalance in the male:female ratio.

Qwark said:
Eagle367 said:

In the grand scheme of things overpopulation isn't that big of a problem. Locally however it poses some serious pressure on the available land, infrastructure and population. The increasing pollution also limits the access to food and clean drinking water. So in general India is in pretty deep shit as well. Especially now that climate change will also cause more weather extremes and more harvests too fail. As for China the sheet size of China might make it possible for China to survive, also they have no issue with slave labouring a minority, so they can pull of a Qatar, I guess.

Those are some good points. They could create a 2nd class indentured servitude system like Saudi and Qatar and UAE. That would pull a lot of people from India and Pakistan and Bangladesh and other neighbours over as well. And maybe they could also attract tech heads and scientists. But the difference between those specific arab states and China is that they don't need a lot. Qatar has like 2 million migrant workers and almost 1 million locals or something if I remember correctly. China would need a lot lot more. I think it's unsustainable and we will see a very different China in 30 years and beyond.

And yes climate change is gonna be a huge issue especially if those glaciers melt more and more.  Pakistan and India will have huge floods and then when the glaciers are gone, it'll be tough times ahead. Man why can't we get rid of fossil fuels.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also