By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz Official Game of the Year Awards 2022 - Results Thread

Jaicee said:

What's more interesting to me at this moment is the fact that the VG Chartz community, by contrast, picked Xenoblade Chronicles 3 as their runner-up choice overall. While I think we know good and well that Nintendo fans are heavily represented on this site already, this choice to me is interesting it suggests VGC is home to a particular kind of Nintendo fan really. Out of all the games published by Nintendo this year, unless I'm mistaken, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 might've be the worst-selling entry, yet it's the most appreciated one here.

Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes and Bayonetta 3 (and also Triangle Strategy and Live A Live, but they are technically Square Enix games) sold less.

Around the Network
Jaicee said:

*Snip*

The points you make about the Nintendo community on VGC and how it tends to vote during GOTY season are interesting - I hadn't quite thought about it that way before, but now you've pointed it out it makes sense. I'd also add that VGC has always had a comparatively large JRPG fan base, which probably contributed to the strength of the lead XB3 built up over GoW.

Kakadu18 said:

Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes and Bayonetta 3 (and also Triangle Strategy and Live A Live, but they are technically Square Enix games) sold less.

Aaaah. Well my main point is still mostly supported.

Machina said:

The points you make about the Nintendo community on VGC and how it tends to vote during GOTY season are interesting - I hadn't quite thought about it that way before, but now you've pointed it out it makes sense. I'd also add that VGC has always had a comparatively large JRPG fan base, which probably contributed to the strength of the lead XB3 built up over GoW.

VGC has a large volume of weebs in general, as becomes especially obvious when articles like this review of a Japanese snack service make it to the front page. That might've been a factor too, yes.

Jaicee said:
Kakadu18 said:

Aaaah. Well my main point is still mostly supported.

Machina said:

VGC has a large volume of weebs in general, as becomes especially obvious when articles like this review of a Japanese snack service make it to the front page. That might've been a factor too, yes.

I like Japanese culture (and food, so it was cool to try that out!) more generally, but can't stand JPRGs or anime xD

Machina said:

I like Japanese culture (and food, so it was cool to try that out!) more generally, but can't stand JPRGs or anime xD

...Wait, wha...? Is that even possible?

Kidding, of course. A lot of aspects of Japanese culture are pretty neat! I hear legends of women actually feeling safe walking the streets of major metropolitan centers like Tokyo alone at night and can hardly fathom that concept. Of course Japan also has optional women-only versions of practically everything from subways to restaurants and also the toughest gun control laws in the developed world. I imagine that's what it takes. I also hear legends of people feeling unable to express themselves honestly because of all the social taboos. There's a price to everything.

One of the coolest things about Japanese culture to me is that more than 99% of all companies there are small businesses, as in like exclusively local institutions. Toyota, Nintendo, and whatnot are rare actually rare exceptions to that rule. Almost every business that exists in Japan exists only there. There's a price to that kind of uniqueness too though: the country runs mostly on out-of-date technology and working conditions (including pay and hours) are most often comparatively awful.

It's like with food. You have teriyaki and you have sushi. You have the greatest food on the planet and you have vastly overrated crap that has no flavor whatsoever, both from the same place. Every place has its positives and negatives. I feel the same way about art and entertainment. I don't think people would describe me as a weeb, but I am open to anime and Japanese-made games of all sorts. Except the hardcore pedo shit. I don't care if that gets censored.