By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Biggest generational leap for Nintendo

SanAndreasX said:
S.Peelman said:

There’s a Color TV Game in that picture in the OP, one of Nintendo’s “Pong consolesâ€Â. I’d imagine going from that to NES was pretty huge. I have one (not the one in the picture), and those are pretty primitive. Other than that obviously SNES to N64, the difference really is night and day.

Fun fact: the Color TV Game was the best-selling home video game system of the 1970s, despite being available only in Japan. Nintendo "won" the first generation of gaming. 

It appears they did, point to Nintendo!

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

After the GameCube there really hasn't been any big jumps. At least compared to PlayStation and Xbox.

Technically, Wii to Wii U was similar to PS2 to PS3 and Xbox to Xbox 360.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

After the GameCube there really hasn't been any big jumps. At least compared to PlayStation and Xbox.

Technically, Wii to Wii U was similar to PS2 to PS3 and Xbox to Xbox 360.

Yeah you are right. It was just a generation behind, which is why it didn't feel like a big leap. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

SNES to N64 on a technical level.

But from a personal standpoint GameCube to the Wii is my favorite. Motion controls, traditional controls, and the games: Super Paper Mario, New Super Mario Bros, WiiSports, Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Super Mario Galaxy 2 were phenomenal. Aside from the GBA, I don't think I've had as much enjoyment on a Nintendo platform than I did on the Wii. 

In terms of pure visuals I feel the handheld leap from 3DS to Switch was gargantuan, we basically went from Gen 6 graphics to better than Gen 7 graphics in a single transition.

Around the Network

for revolutionary... it is the SNES to N64. It was night and day difference as it transitioned from 2D (with some 3D elements) to fully 3D. Everything else has been evolutionary. NES to SNES (8bit to 16bit) and then N64 to Cube to Wii to WiiU to Switch (all of which were evolution and refinement). It's that SNES / N64... THAT is the definition of generational leap.

Last edited by darthv72 - on 10 January 2023

The N64 for not only just like the 3D graphics (it really is the first "real" 3D machine in that it had perspective correct Z-buffering, not just polygons randomly floating all over the place) but the analog stick, the C-buttons (which would set the stage for dual analog) and the rumble pak also radically pushed game controllers forward in a massive way.

It's not the fault of the N64 that Nintendo really hampered it with a cartridge format when they could have incorporated discs and carts together and still probably sold the system for an affordable $249.99, which was supposed to be the initial price for the system anyway. 

CladInShadows said:

As a 10 year old kid, the SNES simply blew me away compared to the NES. For people who didn't grow up with that era of gaming, the jump in color depth may not seem like much today, but it was massive at the time. Couple that with stuff like parallax scrolling, Mode 7, and much better audio, but also keeping the style of games I loved, it was perfect.

I know a lot are saying the jump to N64. Yes the bump in horsepower is massive, but even at the time, those graphics were pretty ugly, and time certainly hasn't been kind to it. I was a heavy PC user, so that style of graphics wasn't new to me. That coupled with a horrible lack of games meant I skipped that generation entirely.

... you missed out on multiplayer Bond and Perfect Dark and still call yourself a gamer ...? Just kidding, but that is too bad, that console was Fantastic.

Edit, I forgot to answer the question:

I will also say SNES to N64.  I haven't seen it mentioned but this also took you from 2 players to 4 players.  I started with the 2600 and have been gaming ever since.  Multiplayer was always big with my friends and I and this meant 4 people racing on Mario Kart instead of 2, or 4 people chasing around in a match of GoldenEye.  This was huge to us, with most games being a 3rd wheel no longer sucked, you had to have a 5th wheel before anyone was sidelined.

Last edited by The_Yoda - on 11 January 2023

curl-6 said:

In terms of pure visuals I feel the handheld leap from 3DS to Switch was gargantuan, we basically went from Gen 6 graphics to better than Gen 7 graphics in a single transition.

And relatively weak gen 6 visuals at that considering how 3DS games look compared to Gamecube games.

Last edited by Norion - on 11 January 2023

3DS to Switch for handhelds, and SNES to N64 for consoles.