By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 owners who got theirs within the past year how do you rate it?

I got mine back in March after playing God of War on PC and the then assumption that the Marvel games would not come to PC…..that aged poorly lol.

But I’ve been enjoying it. I only got it for the PlayStation exclusives since I game primarily on PC. GoW Ragnarok was a huge reason why I got it and it absolutely floored me! I don’t have any regrets and I’m looking forward to Spider-Man 2 next year.

But, I can see myself selling it by 2024 IF, Sony continues releasing on PC at the pace they have been. Especially now that the DualSense features is officially supported on PC. For now, I’ll continue to enjoy it for what I use it for!

Around the Network
KratosLives said:
darthv72 said:

I've had it a little over a year and it's okay. I feel it's more of a PS4 Pro.5 right now. Even games that did not have cross gen versions (like R&C and Returnal) could have been done on the previous gen hardware. and in many ways... that is where they started but obviously had things shifted over to the PS5 as it got closer to release. 23 we should really see games made to take full advantage of the 5 hardware. Same goes for Series games and their respective hardware.

There's no way returnal could have been done on ps4. Unless you want 30 fps and then taking away dual sense haptics which is half the experience. And then there's the seamless loading. 

Its PC release will be pretty telling as majority of gaming PC’s are more or less in line with a PS4 Pro than the “PC master race” meme. 

Iveyboi said:

Have it non stop since getting it in December 2021. Love the increased speed, controller and no load times. Guessing we'll see it's true power in next year's games

No load times is still rare. Playing 3rd party games there are still long loading screens, just the SSD is not enough. God of War is also still full of those loading crawl spaces :/ GT7 has one thing going for it, tracks load lightning fast. Of course start up time is spoiled by having to wait for all the logos, doh.

Can't imagine going back to ps3 though. 10 minute loading screen between acts in MGS4! (It was installing stuff but still very annoying)

Even stuff that's current-gen only has load times but they are generally pretty short.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Got it since launch.

Insert the No Ragrets meme here.

It’s really a big and heavy console, I like the design of the Xbox series consoles.

Games like Returnal have almost no loading scenes and Miles Morales are pretty similar.

I’m relief that most developers are moving to PS5 only in 2023.

Around the Network

Got mine since September.

It's been an incredible experience for me so far. I've played much better games on PlayStation 5 than PlayStation 4 in the first two years. The fast loading, Dualsense controller, and performance modes are revelations. No issues with rest mode when I download a game or charge a controller.

The UI, and activity cards, are my only real complaint, but these are such small issues compared to the overall package.

I got mine in October 2022.

Pros
-Load times
-Better resolution and frame rates
-PS Plus Collection
-Backwards Compatibility
-Video capture of trophies as they pop
-DualSense
-Hours played info

-The rest mode uses less energy (about 1.3w) than the PS4 (8.5w), making me want to use it even more often. I haven't had rest mode issues yet.

-Notifications on your phone when a game is ready to play and done downloading

Cons
-Expensive SSDs. The 1 TB SSD I bought was over $100, and many get really expensive.
-Not as many native PS5 games yet that I'm itching to play, but the console is a little over 2 years old. I can let this slide for now, even if it is a con.
-PS Store is really laggy. The games constantly are blank icons with no info until you click on them. So many people have complained about the PS4 PS Store, but from the past to the present I have had few issues with it.
-Lack of little things like: internet browser, themes, what's new, purchasable/certain free avatars
-Hours played tends to be wildly inaccurate for at least a few titles in your library.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

JWeinCom said:

Collecting dust/10

Really not anyone's fault but my own. I really didn't have anything I wanted to play on it, I just bought it because I got an invite and it didn't seem like prices were going down any time soon or anything. I played Astro Bot on it which was a cute tech demo and a bit of Miles Morales, but that's about it. And, I have tons of titles on my Switch and a few on Gamepass that I need to get through, and less time for gaming than I have in the past.

I'll probably be happy I got it once Spider-man 2 comes out, and FF7 Rewhatevs pt 2, and RE4make maybe.

I don't know if it's because I'm from an older generation or what, but this is the first time I haven't bought a new Sony console at, or near launch. I still don't own a PS5 or an Xbox 4, and I don't feel the need for one either, because it never felt like the PS4 and Xbox 3 needed to be replaced. It was just like, here are our two new consoles that make games look a little better and run the games a little better than our last consoles. Please buy them and continue to enjoy the same games you're currently playing in slighter better ways. With PS2/Xbox/PS3/Xbox 2, that wasn't the case. The whole industry shifted. There was a massive jump forward and brand new franchises like GTA3 (the jump to 3D made it feel like a new franchise), Halo, Uncharted and Gears of War that sprung up and couldn't have been played before. You needed the new console, and if you didn't get it, you were left out in the cold while this exciting new revolution was taking place. I didn't feel that at all with the PS5/Xbox 4, so I still don't have either... and it's a real shame. Especially for me. 

I hope PS6/Xbox 5 don't repeat the same approach, and they go back to the old way of doing things. 

Last edited by JackHandy - on 12 February 2023

Horizon has the shortest load times since the end 9f cartridges, which is great. God of War is probably the most impressive games I've played in the 9th gen, so far. The controller is cool.

I'm playing more on XB though. PS5 is currently sitting as my second most played system, ahead of Switch.

It has the same problem as XB Series right now: too few impressive games that really make me notice that its a 9th gen system.

JackHandy said:
JWeinCom said:

Collecting dust/10

Really not anyone's fault but my own. I really didn't have anything I wanted to play on it, I just bought it because I got an invite and it didn't seem like prices were going down any time soon or anything. I played Astro Bot on it which was a cute tech demo and a bit of Miles Morales, but that's about it. And, I have tons of titles on my Switch and a few on Gamepass that I need to get through, and less time for gaming than I have in the past.

I'll probably be happy I got it once Spider-man 2 comes out, and FF7 Rewhatevs pt 2, and RE4make maybe.

I don't know if it's because I'm from an older generation or what, but this is the first time I haven't bought a new Sony console at, or near launch. I still don't own a PS5 or an Xbox 4, and I don't feel the need for one either, because it never felt like the PS4 and Xbox 3 needed to be replaced. It was just like, here are our two new consoles that make games look a little better and run the games a little better than our last consoles. Please buy them and continue to enjoy the same games you're currently playing in slighter better ways. With PS2/Xbox/PS3/Xbox 2, that wasn't the case. The whole industry shifted. There was a massive jump forward and brand new franchises like GTA3 (the jump to 3D made it feel like a new franchise), Halo, Uncharted and Gears of War that sprung up and couldn't have been played before. You needed the new console, and if you didn't get it, you were left out in the cold while this exciting new revolution was taking place. I didn't feel that at all with the PS5/Xbox 4, so I still don't have either... and it's a real shame. Especially for me. 

I hope PS6/Xbox 5 don't repeat the same approach, and they go back to the old way of doing things. 

The biggest change is faster loading times.  I cringe when I play on 8th gen now.  

But, yeah, the generational leap is really only noticeable by going backwards. My mind was not blown when I fired up either system for the first time.  That applies to the last few generations though.