By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ranking all of the Soulslikes I/You've Played

All I know is that Dark Souls 2 is the best and a 10/10 for me.

Around the Network

FWIW Mortal Shell is free on Epic Games Store for the next 24 hours.

Finally played and finished Sekiro, after purchasing it during the Steam sale. I knew it wasn't a full-blown Soulslike, which is why I was hesitant to get it, but I'm glad I finally did.

What I like about it:

• The setting, the strong Japanese cultural influences, the samurai concept.
  • Contains some incredibly memorable bosses. They also seem more distinct in my mind, but maybe that's recency bias.
  • The sense of achievement I got from defeating certain bosses and finishing the story was probably the strongest in any FromSoft game I've ever played. My heart hasn't raced so much playing a game as it did when I was finally on the verge of killing Genichiro and the final boss. The relief when I finally killed them was immense.
  • The difficulty curve is superb - there are several boss milestones that felt impossible to surmount initially (Genichiro, the second Owl fight, Demon of Hatred, and the final fight), but you're forced to persevere (you can't really go farm and level up like you can in Souls, or go somewhere else entirely like you can in Elden Ring - you just have to get good at playing the way the game wants you to play).

What I dislike:

• That last point above is also a negative. I like the fact that in Souls games you can always try and level your character a bit more before taking another shot at a tough boss. Here it's like FromSoft is saying 'git good'; it's very uncompromising.
  • Sekiro's combat is good, and a great fit for the samurai theme, but ultimately I prefer the Dark Souls/Elden Ring's style of combat.
  • Repetition of areas (Ashina Castle, Hirata), the closing off of fast travel nodes at certain points in the story to force you to clear areas again - twice over in the case of the castle. It felt like they were padding the game.
  • Even with the padding it's pretty short by From's standards (my total playtime matched Dark Souls 1, and was half that of DS2 and DS3).

Wasn't sure where to place it in my rankings - in some ways I think it's a better overall game than the much-maligned Dark Souls II, but if I had to replay one it'd be the latter. They're pretty even for me. I definitely put it below Bloodborne, Elden Ring, and Dark Souls III though.

Last edited by Machina - on 04 January 2023