By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Lets talk about Nintendo Switch online Service

Many 3rd parties didn't like the Wii Virtual Console low sales and they definitely prefer selling you Final Fantasy 4,5,6 on Eshop and have not released the better games on NSO only Nintendo themselfs with Ocarina of Time, Super Metroid, Super Mario Kart etc. Anyways Physical gamers are satisfied because It's preserving history can't have these fade away like Wii virtual console/Google Stadia/several Iphone games like Ghouls N Ghosts golden knights which no longer exist and prefer them to comeback wish they were physical and Final Fantasy creator Sakaguchi made Fantasian Exclusive to mobiles and digital only but atleast it's not Service 

Last edited by SegaHeart - on 16 December 2022

Around the Network

Third parties are doing much better with collections. No one wants to pay $5 for a dose of nostalgia that you play once. But many of these companies are releasing 5-10 game collections for $14.99-$19.99 which is a better proposition for all. Having the NSO Nes/SNES games in one place is perfect, and I'm happy to pay the subscription for that, plus a ton more, for games that I really rarely ever play. It's not the Wii era anymore. Most of us have already scratched whatever itch was there. Super Metroid gets played on the regular, Link to the Past gets loaded up now and again, and occasionally I'll boot up an old SMB title, but again, we've been revisiting those classics since 2006. The only thing I really miss from Virtual Console was the music. That song was fire.

super_etecoon said:

Third parties are doing much better with collections. No one wants to pay $5 for a dose of nostalgia that you play once. But many of these companies are releasing 5-10 game collections for $14.99-$19.99 which is a better proposition for all. Having the NSO Nes/SNES games in one place is perfect, and I'm happy to pay the subscription for that, plus a ton more, for games that I really rarely ever play. It's not the Wii era anymore. Most of us have already scratched whatever itch was there. Super Metroid gets played on the regular, Link to the Past gets loaded up now and again, and occasionally I'll boot up an old SMB title, but again, we've been revisiting those classics since 2006. The only thing I really miss from Virtual Console was the music. That song was fire.

Yeah, That Wii shop music was amazing, Wish Eshop had music. ^^

SegaHeart said:
super_etecoon said:

Yeah, That Wii shop music was amazing, Wish Eshop had music. ^^

I just wish the Eshop had a better infrastructure.  I love looking through it for deals and hidden gems, but it's a slow buggy mess.  That's the main improvement I'm hoping for in the Switch 2.  If adding music slows it down even more, I'd rather it just stay bare bones like it is.  But yes, if they can do both, it would be amazing.  Better yet, give us the choice of what jams we want to hear while we're shopping.  

Nintendo Switch Online is so frustrating because they're taking an online service that is at most modestly better than Nintendo Network and charging $20/year for it. I know you can get it cheaper per person if you have the Family Plan, but the Family Plan doesn't make sense or is outright not possible for certain people.
And then you have the Expansion Pass which is becoming a much better value than when it launched but is still too expensive (rightfully so) in the minds of many.
Switch Online should be free. And the free tier can include NES games, if nothing else.
The Expansion Pass could be $20-$30 a year and include most of what it does already, plus some other platforms.
Then maybe make an Ultimate Tier that is $90-$100 a year that includes all the platforms from previous tiers, GCN/Wii games, and even some Switch games.
They really need dedicated servers, system voice chat, and profile searches (no friend codes). These last things I mentioned will almost surely wait until Switch's successor if they happen.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

I love how things are set up now. The Virtual Console was cool 15 years ago but it was overpriced and Switch's subscription model is far superior and cheaper.

Now we get a subscription service with loads of retro Nintendo games (plug Genesis) for a cheap yearly price that also have online multiplayer, and included is some DLC for major Switch games, plus online play, plus cloud saves. It really is an amazing deal. The Expansion Pack just had bad optics when it launched because of the N64 graphical bugs and they should have gotten a few more N64 games ready for the launch considering they are only releasing one N64 game per month, but now a year later those concerns are gone, especially with the new Mario Kart courses included.

Of course considering N64 was basically a Nintendo and Rare machine, it will be missing a bunch of the gems on the system without Rare's games included and so far only Banjo has made it over and of course we know GoldenEye is coming. If Nintendo could do a deal with MS and get Banjo-Tooie, Blast Corps, KI Gold, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Conker, and Diddy Kong Racing on NSO that would make the N64 service truly incredible.

The only bad part has been how slowly they've built it out. N64/Genesis should have hit two years ago, not a year ago, and we are still waiting to see if GB and GBA will be added to the Expansion Pack. But by the time the Switch 2 launches in roughly 18-24 months, NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64 will be complete and hopefully there will be plenty of GB and GBA games on there by then as well. Of course, unlike the Wii U, DS and 3DS games won't be available because Switch doesn't have two screens.

Then, there's the eshop where third parties can sell their retro games or collections of their retro games. The main improvement in far as retro games go on the eshop is I would love for Nintendo to make retro system categories. Like you could click on NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, PS1, etc categories on the eshop to look through the games on the eshop that originally came out on those systems (and collections would be included in all systems that the collection's games were on). This would give more visibility for third parties selling their old school games on the Switch, rather than let these games get lost in the million random games coming out all the time on Switch.

I absolutely despise it.

Charging for online is annoying, but I don't mind too much because I don't particularly care about playing online. But locking games behind a crappy subscription services really pisses me off. Just let me buy the old N64 etc. games on the eshop. I'd get some of them for a one off purchase fee, I'm definitely not paying a subscription for them though. Subscriptions are a massive ripoff as far as I'm concerned, but as far as I'm aware Nintendo Online is the only one where it's mandatory for certain games, rather than just 1 option of many. I've no issue with Gamepass etc. because I also have the option of buying the games instead of wasting money on a subscription, why can't I have that option with Nintendo?

SegaHeart said:

Anyways Physical gamers are satisfied because It's preserving history

Completely disagree with this. Nintendo are the absolute worst at preserving history. Every gen you have to hope/wait for a re-release of a game you want and then have to pay for it again. Not even all games are still available, like the Switch has Super Mario Galaxy available but not Galaxy 2? WTF?

I seriously doubt any of the games on Nintendo's online service will be available on their next console, it will probably start the releases from scratch again, just like every Nintendo console before it. That won't have preserved history at all.

Ka-pi96 said:
SegaHeart said:

Completely disagree with this. Nintendo are the absolute worst at preserving history. Every gen you have to hope/wait for a re-release of a game you want and then have to pay for it again. Not even all games are still available, like the Switch has Super Mario Galaxy available but not Galaxy 2? WTF?

I seriously doubt any of the games on Nintendo's online service will be available on their next console, it will probably start the releases from scratch again, just like every Nintendo console before it. That won't have preserved history at all.

I mean this is one of the big benefits of the online subscription service. You no longer have to rebuy overpriced VC games each gen for the next system and wait while Nintendo starts the next console's VC service from scratch.

If Nintendo had continued with the VC model it would have been that lame situation every generation. But now, even though they've been taking their sweet time building out the NSO retro games service this gen, still they are getting it done now so it'll already be built out and available for each new system. They've already got the subscription service built out so you get the whole library of games at your fingertips from one gen to the next as long as your are subscribing. You just keep the subscription going when the next system comes out and nothing changes. Infintely better than the way they did things prior to the Switch.

Nintendo has always been behind in online features, but at least now they've got their retro games service figured out in a consumer friendly way where from gen to gen you just keep paying the subscription and it doesn't matter which system you're playing on cuz all the games are included in the subscription.

Ka-pi96 said:
SegaHeart said:

I think NSO games will carry over to the next console. Nintendo's prior issue is that they didn't have a modern account system that could easily be utilized by future hardware and by extension, software. Now that they do have it in place and are charging you $20+ a year for it, they have an obligation to make sure your content is there day 1...or at least I hope. 

I don't think NSO is what we should be worrying about carrying over to the next console though. I'm more worried about Backwards Compatibility. 

In terms of preserving history for customers, sure Nintendo isn't the best at it because they have priorities that sometimes take precedence over what some customers want. However we do have emulation, console modding and pretty much every rom or iso you could think of wandering the internet. So the software is well preserved by gaming communities.

Nintendo themselves, as seen in the Giga Leak of 2020, pretty much has everything they've ever developed & published backed up and preserved for when or if they see need to use it. So in that regard, it's preserved but nobody besides them get to use it unless they release it. That does indeed suck but the 2020 Giga Leak was a glimpse into what we've missed.