By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 47, 2022 (14 Nov - 20 Nov)

The PS4 more than quadrupled it's Year to date in one week. Who was sitting on that stock pile lol. Even more hilarious is that people bought them. The interesting thing about PlayStation in Japan is that for now sales are completely related to stock.

Around the Network

Why is God of War Ragnarok for PS4 listed twice on top 30? Was the one listed higher supposed to be the PS5 version?

PS5 YTD hardware sales for Japan is a week away from surpassing last years total. The PS5 should clear 1M+ for the year barring any significant stock shortages.

PS5 software has also been a lot healthier for Sony this year: HFW has surpassed 100K units. GT7 is closing in on 200K units, Elden Ring is probably the best selling PS5 game in Japan so far, with PS5 versions of games starting to consistently chart week to week.

123tbones said:

Why is God of War Ragnarok for PS4 listed twice on top 30? Was the one listed higher supposed to be the PS5 version?

Yes.

Actually I think the PS4 sales are due to adjustments. Unlike VGchartz, Famitsu cannot retroactively adjust their sales. So Famitsu has to use a new week to add or subtract sales from consoles. Perhaps all year it was selling 100-200 more consoles per week than Famitsu thought.

We might even see that with the Switch currently, with Nintendo reporting a bit lower sales than Famitsu.

Around the Network
Farsala said:

Actually I think the PS4 sales are due to adjustments. Unlike VGchartz, Famitsu cannot retroactively adjust their sales. So Famitsu has to use a new week to add or subtract sales from consoles. Perhaps all year it was selling 100-200 more consoles per week than Famitsu thought.

We might even see that with the Switch currently, with Nintendo reporting a bit lower sales than Famitsu.

So what’s the real YTD? 4 million or is it less than that?

kazuyamishima said:
Farsala said:

No idea, due to the timing (up to Sept 31) and shipment vs sales gap.

Nintendo shipped (2.6m) which is less than Famitsu said was sold (3.4m), but that doesn't account for possible last year's leftover shipments. And shipments may have caught up to the sales by now.

It is just a bit of speculation from me.

Farsala said:
kazuyamishima said:

No idea, due to the timing (up to Sept 31) and shipment vs sales gap.

Nintendo shipped (2.6m) which is less than Famitsu said was sold (3.4m), but that doesn't account for possible last year's leftover shipments. And shipments may have caught up to the sales by now.

It is just a bit of speculation from me.

If it's true they can just lump missed sales into a given week (or take them out of a random week to even things out) then it could also be possible Famitsu has already been adding extra Switch sales this year due to undertracking in previous years. We can't know either way for sure.

Comparing the Famitsu YTD to Nintendo 9mnth shipments is not directly possible IMO with only 1 datapoint (2022)... for a start Famitsu's week 1 started 27th December 2021, aka the biggest sales week of the year in Japan. We don't know for sure when Nintendo counts from for shipping (most likely just direct months though, so Jan1st to Sep30th) but no matter how fast the hardware gets to the stores shipping always precedes sales.
The huge sales weeks for Famitsu weeks 1-3 at least were all probably units shipped before 2022. It might be possble to get a clearer picture if someone checks the historical difference between lifetime sales on Famitsu vs each of Nintendos shipment figures since launch (to see if the "stock" situation is regularly smaller or larger after certain quarters). For example at the end of September the LTD shipments were 26.96 million, whereas Famitsu has sales at 26.36 million as of Oct 2nd... 600k doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Last edited by HigHurtenflurst - on 25 November 2022

Switch Sports is apparently getting a bundle in Japan:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/HAD-S-KABGR/dp/B0BN3HC6P1/ref=zg_bs_videogames_sccl_5/357-8033446-1376906?psc=1

deerox said:

Switch Sports is apparently getting a bundle in Japan:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/HAD-S-KABGR/dp/B0BN3HC6P1/ref=zg_bs_videogames_sccl_5/357-8033446-1376906?psc=1

Nice, I can see this doing really well as Switch Sports is showing excellent legs on the Japanese charts.