By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Skyrocket to Best Week of 2022 - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Nov 6-12

SKMBlake said:
trunkswd said:

If anyone missed stream tonight, the Game News Roundup is now up on YouTube. I go over the latest VGChartz estimates, monthly sales charts, and gaming news. 

You should wear a cowboy hat and a fake moustache, apparently that's how you do gaming Youtube here

Don't forget the fake accent.



Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
Blood_Tears said:

Yes I would suspect that those Europe numbers are way too low for this week imo. There has been constant adjustments to PS5 over the last 5 months and that trend will likely continue. I try not to put too much importance on these weekly numbers because of that, especially in the holiday period and with dealing with such a low difference between the top 2 platforms.

It's best to wait for the official data, such as quarterly shipments, NPD, Europe charts etc. For instance, while it's true the site overtracked PS5 by 1 Million last year they also overtracked Switch by over 1 Million two holidays prior to that. Holidays on this site can get messy from time to time and things are going to flip flop. Just like last quarter when Switch was top selling weekly here but still PS5 outshipped the Switch that quarter. 

It's best to wait until January when everything gets adjusted when official data is released. 

It will be interesting to see how the PS5 performs in NA this month. It is Ragnarok's strongest region by quite a margin so I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has allocated a ton of stock there. I could see a few Sony records in NA being broken this month (IE. best selling PS5 month, best selling PlayStation Black Friday, fastest selling first party software, etc). 



Switch is practically a senior citizen at this point, approaching 6 years on the market; just as PS4 passed on the chart leader torch to the Switch around 2019, so its coming time for the PS5 to take its turn in the limelight.

That said, the fact that Switch can still put up a convincing fight at this late stage is an impressive feat.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023. (And over 130 million lifetime)

curl-6 said:


That said, the fact that Switch can still put up a convincing fight at this late stage is an impressive feat.

I mean it is close to become the best selling console ever so the impressiveness is total



"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Black Friday I feel will be massive.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
archbrix said:
trunkswd said:

We will see once more data in for Europe. The data we have didn't show a huge increase in Europe, while it did in the US. The PS5 only sold about 4,000 more than its previous best week of 2022. 29.4K for GoW week vs 25.5K for CoD week. In Spain it didn't beat its beat week of 2022. 7K for GoW week vs 10K for last week of April. Though, sales were up a lot week-on-week in Spain, but only because it sold under 1K the previous week.

Makes sense.  I mean, Sony clearly has limited stock and the increase in the US was apparent (I actually saw stock available for the first time) so having limited stock for the rest of the world is obvious.  I think that folks just got a bit overzealous after hearing that Sony had such a supply increase that many of us thought Sony would have the units available to outsell the Switch by a pretty large amount, which apparently, did not happen.

HigHurtenflurst said:

IIRC it was overtracked last holiday period. Can't recall specifics other than that but I think there have been 2-3 large downward adjustments to PS5, but more smaller upward adjustments.

Ultimately it's never going to be perfect (people seem to forget but there have been a number of times when Media Create & Famitsu disagree with each other in Japan to double digit percentages, and they supposedly each track ~60% of the markets directly)

Also although people seem to have it in their mind that the PS5s all immediately sell once "shipped"... it's never going to be that simple, many "shipped" consoles will be held in retail warehouse or in transit for differing periods of time. And while the PS5 has had stock issues, in order for it to get from 'issues' to being widely available it will have to pass through a period of shipped being higher than sold. (even if it still sells out "immediately" it does seem to be easier to purchase one as a normal consumer now than it was 6 months ago)
Meanwhile the Switch is in it's declining period, so I wouldn't see it as unusual if it has the odd quarter where sales are higher than shipping, though normally don't htink it would be significant till it's last couple of years (the whole chip shortage being the main thing complicating that making supply & demand bounce up & down)

Given how close they are in shipped figures for the quarter it's frankly a statistical tie for sales IMO. Switch will probably take the lead for holiday quarter (even if Sony has been stockpiling I doubt it will be THAT much, though I guess we may get an idea after black Friday week) then next year should be PS5 leading the way each quarter.

Great post, particularly the last paragraph.  This holiday marks the end of the Switch's reign at the top of weekly sales.  Although I fully expect the Switch to have another great year in 2023, there's no way that it can continue to keep pace with the PS5, save for the release of some fancy new "Pro" model of Switch that reinvigorates sales to another 20m year or something.

So in 2023 Switch sales won't fall off a cliff?



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 105

This weekly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

  1. Switch: 31,824,084
  2. PS5: 26,010,985
  3. XSX|S: 18,218,421

Through the first 105 weeks available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.81 million units units and is 13.61 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 7.79 million units.

The Switch has sold 31.82 million in 105 weeks worldwide, while the PS5 sold 26.01 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 18.22 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 105 weeks, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 41.8 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 34.2 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 24.0 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

  1. Switch: 11,158,769
  2. PS5: 9,483,830
  3. XSX|S: 8,444,434

Through the first 105 weeks available in the US the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 1.67 million units and is 2.71 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.04 million units.

The Switch has sold 11.16 million in 105 weeks in the US, while the PS5 sold 9.48 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 8.44 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 105 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 38.4 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 32.6 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 29.0 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (104 weeks):

  1. PS5: 8,916,350
  2. Switch: 8,030,353
  3. XSX|S: 4,954,262

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 104 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 0.89 million units and is 3.96 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 3.08 million units.

The PS5 has sold 8.92 million in 104 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 8.03 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 4.95 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 104 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 40.7 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 36.7 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 22.6 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

  1. Switch: 7,618,586
  2. PS5: 2,109,395
  3. XSX|S: 382,840

Through the first 105 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.51 million units and is 7.24 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.73 million units.

The Switch has sold 7.62 million units in 105 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 2.11 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.38 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 105 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 75.3 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 20.9 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 3.8 percent.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 105

This weekly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

  1. Switch: 31,824,084
  2. PS5: 26,010,985
  3. XSX|S: 18,218,421

Through the first 105 weeks available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.81 million units units and is 13.61 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 7.79 million units.

The Switch has sold 31.82 million in 105 weeks worldwide, while the PS5 sold 26.01 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 18.22 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 105 weeks, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 41.8 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 34.2 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 24.0 percent.

31 million on Switch 

26 million for PS5 

18 million Xbox Series 

It's incredible PS5 can keep up while Switch library is massive with exclusives while PS5 exclusive library is like 2 years I know Ratchet and clank Rift apart is exclusive .



Guess which version of Hatsune Miku this is? She has my Birth stone color turqoise in her eyes, And I'm most honest Sega Saturn lover alltime.Picture far right is Sega first Real Mascot. Represents my birth animal the helpful Bunny want you to find his name.My ruling Planet is Saturn if connect the Birth month I was born and year.

DonFerrari said:
archbrix said:

Makes sense.  I mean, Sony clearly has limited stock and the increase in the US was apparent (I actually saw stock available for the first time) so having limited stock for the rest of the world is obvious.  I think that folks just got a bit overzealous after hearing that Sony had such a supply increase that many of us thought Sony would have the units available to outsell the Switch by a pretty large amount, which apparently, did not happen.

HigHurtenflurst said:

IIRC it was overtracked last holiday period. Can't recall specifics other than that but I think there have been 2-3 large downward adjustments to PS5, but more smaller upward adjustments.

Ultimately it's never going to be perfect (people seem to forget but there have been a number of times when Media Create & Famitsu disagree with each other in Japan to double digit percentages, and they supposedly each track ~60% of the markets directly)

Also although people seem to have it in their mind that the PS5s all immediately sell once "shipped"... it's never going to be that simple, many "shipped" consoles will be held in retail warehouse or in transit for differing periods of time. And while the PS5 has had stock issues, in order for it to get from 'issues' to being widely available it will have to pass through a period of shipped being higher than sold. (even if it still sells out "immediately" it does seem to be easier to purchase one as a normal consumer now than it was 6 months ago)
Meanwhile the Switch is in it's declining period, so I wouldn't see it as unusual if it has the odd quarter where sales are higher than shipping, though normally don't htink it would be significant till it's last couple of years (the whole chip shortage being the main thing complicating that making supply & demand bounce up & down)

Given how close they are in shipped figures for the quarter it's frankly a statistical tie for sales IMO. Switch will probably take the lead for holiday quarter (even if Sony has been stockpiling I doubt it will be THAT much, though I guess we may get an idea after black Friday week) then next year should be PS5 leading the way each quarter.

Great post, particularly the last paragraph.  This holiday marks the end of the Switch's reign at the top of weekly sales.  Although I fully expect the Switch to have another great year in 2023, there's no way that it can continue to keep pace with the PS5, save for the release of some fancy new "Pro" model of Switch that reinvigorates sales to another 20m year or something.

So in 2023 Switch sales won't fall off a cliff?

Haha, no, I don't expect a cliff.  If Nintendo gives the Switch its full support in 2023, I expect ~17m.  So far, Zelda and Pikmin are confirmed for next year and we know Prime 4 is confirmed for... sometime.  I fully expect something Mario, hopefully some good surprises (like DK!) and then we have the MK tracks as well.

But I do expect ~20m next year for the PS5 (and I don't even think that 2023 will be its peak), so I don't believe that Switch will be able to keep up with that next year unless a new Switch model that proves very popular debuts.



archbrix said:
DonFerrari said:

So in 2023 Switch sales won't fall off a cliff?

Haha, no, I don't expect a cliff.  If Nintendo gives the Switch its full support in 2023, I expect ~17m.  So far, Zelda and Pikmin are confirmed for next year and we know Prime 4 is confirmed for... sometime.  I fully expect something Mario, hopefully some good surprises (like DK!) and then we have the MK tracks as well.

But I do expect ~20m next year for the PS5 (and I don't even think that 2023 will be its peak), so I don't believe that Switch will be able to keep up with that next year unless a new Switch model that proves very popular debuts.

What a shallow valley, no fun... joking aside, I expect Switch to still keep steady for a little while longer. Perhaps drop will be sharp only after 2024.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."