By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

As a Consumer Would You Rather?

Traditional Console + Everything Exclusive 18 40.00%

Xbox/PC Hybrid + Access t... 27 60.00%

Total:45

Would have been nice but yeah.

I'm more thinking if it can happen before Crash Team Rumble but more because I think that game will need Game Pass...

Around the Network

Lol. That was low-key cool.

Are you for real, FH5 Rally doesn’t unlock until 7pm in the UK …. Looks like I won’t be playing it at all then as I’ll be in work, was hoping to play before going. Utterly disgraceful on PGs part.

Last edited by VersusEvil - on 29 March 2023

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Tencent coming for that contract, Lol.

Wouldn't be surprised if the only reason Tencent supports the deal is because of that.

If true, I would have read that as a threat too.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 29 March 2023

Around the Network

Cassette Beasts | PC Date Announcement trailer | Available April 26th! - YouTube

Cassette Beasts will release on PC Windows, PC Game Pass on Day One and Steam the 26th of April and on Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch in late spring 2023. Cassette Beasts is a game made by Bytten Studio and Published by Raw Fury,

Ryuu96 said:

Tencent coming for that contract, Lol.

Wouldn't be surprised if the only reason Tencent supports the deal is because of that.

If true, I would have read that as a threat too.

Man, it sucks so much that both Netease and Tencent are awful. China is such a freaking mess, and yet it's such a huge market that Xbox can't ignore them, it's estimated that somewhere between 15-25% of Blizzard's revenue came from China even after Netease got their cut, due to how popular their games are there. And though ABK overall had a lower percentage of their revenue from China, that is mostly because King's mobile games didn't do well there I believe, Blizzard was very popular there and CoD's popularity in China had seen quite alot of growth in the years before the Netease deal fell apart, with CoD Mobile in particular being the 4th most popular mobile game in China on launch at least. It's just not a market that Xbox can afford to ignore, Blizzard games could be Xbox's ticket to catching up to PS5's lead in China.

The ocean water’s bulges and contractions exert a greater influence on play in the online pirate adventure “Sea of Thieves.” Its deep water simulation conjures up the uneasy terror you’d find watching videos of ships battling the nautical elements. Your boat careens from side to side and up and down, ocean spray dissipating over the deck as you maneuver across the high seas in search of treasure — or enemy vessels.

Mark Lucas, lead rendering engineer on “Sea of Thieves,” explained that the starting point for the game’s water was a 2001 paper by Jerry Tessendorf, the VFX guru behind the water in “Titanic.” Because Lucas and his colleagues knew that they wanted to replicate the vertiginous swells of the deep ocean, they needed “large, high amplitude, low frequency waves” — or, simply, epic but infrequent motions. For the ripples on the surface, it was the inverse: high frequency, low amplitude waves. They took the math that would create all of these overlapping waveforms and used another mathematical tool called the Fourier Transform to convert them “into the actual physical shape of the water surface,” Lucas said.

The secret sauce, the reason the ocean in “Sea of Thieves” looks so “lifelike,” Lucas said, is the pairing of this already complicated math with the Phillips spectrum, a model created in 1958 by noted geophysicist Owen Martin Phillips. According to Lucas, this model explains how “ocean water behaves based on meteorological analysis.”

The game’s water, Lucas points out, is only possible because of a large, decades-old body of research. “It’s a lot of people working in lots of different fields that have all contributed to it,” he said.

Lucas thinks that the water in “Sea of Thieves” now nearly meets the standard of the world’s most celebrated movie effects.

“We’re actually doing the calculations almost at the quality level that was used in ‘Titanic,’ but in real time,” he said. “We’re one notch down.” The reason is twofold according to Lucas: the miracle of modern graphics processing units and nearly an ocean’s worth of code optimization.