By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

As a UK person, the name Burning Beaver is just .... Unfortunate :L

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Around the Network

Somerville being a short sub 5hr game is great. I wish more games where far shorter like that. If every game was a tightly woven 10hr experience, that would be great!

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Bored of hearing about whether Microsoft will keep Call of Duty on PlayStation or not? Good, because so is Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer. In an interview on Decoder, a show hosted by The Verge’s Nilay Patel, Spencer has settled the debate over the future of Call of Duty on PlayStation once and for all.

“It’s not about at some point I pull the rug underneath PlayStation 7’s legs and it’s ‘ahaha you just didn’t write the contract long enough,’” says Spencer. “There’s no contract that could be written that says forever.”

Spencer says he’s now open to making a commitment to Sony and regulators that Call of Duty will stay on PlayStation.

“This idea that we would write a contract that says the word forever in it I think is a little bit silly, but to make a longer-term commitment that Sony would be comfortable with, regulators would be comfortable with, I have no issue with that at all,” says Spencer.

Some spectators on social media have been picking holes at Microsoft’s use of “intent,” or that it may require Sony to accept Xbox Game Pass on its platforms, or even that the company’s commitments are just words that need to be in a paper contract. Spencer doesn’t agree that this stuff needs to be written down.

Instead, Spencer is trying to make it clear that Call of Duty will remain on PlayStation, no strings attached, no need for Xbox Game Pass, and no trickery around “intent.”

Native Call of Duty on PlayStation, not linked to them having to carry Game Pass, not streaming. If they want a streaming version of Call of Duty we could do that as well, just like we do on our own consoles.

There’s nothing behind my back. It is the Call of Duty Modern Warfare II doing great on PlayStation, doing great on Xbox. The next game, the next, next, next, next, next [game]. Native on the platform, not having to subscribe to Game Pass. Sony does not have to take Game Pass on their platform to make that happen.

There’s nothing hidden. We want to continue to ship Call of Duty on PlayStation without any kind of weird ‘aha I figured out the gotcha’ as Phil said ‘our intent.’ I understand some people’s concerns on this, and I’m just trying to be as clear as I can be.

Microsoft’s Xbox Chief Settles the Call of Duty PlayStation Debate - The Verge

Around the Network

Phil Explains for the 50th Time That CoD Will Stay on PlayStation.

Bet Phil is as sick of this question as everyone else, Lol. It's as clear cut as you could possibly get now, it was already clear cut but there is no wiggle room in this statement, the dude even listed PS7 as a supported platform! He's also clear that it's for new CoD releases, the next CoD after MW2 and the next one after that and the next one after that and the next one, etc.

I still think regulators will force them into a contract (which I think is nonsense but oh well) but they seem to be happy to do that, as long as it doesn't state forever, 10 years? 20 years? However far away PS7 is? They just don't want to sign "forever" which is understandable. I still think Sony won't be happy with that, but regulators should be.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 15 November 2022

I've been saying this from the beginning when MS first commented on it, CoD isn't leaving PS. Unfortunately, Phil can say it in the most clear and precise way and there will still be those who think it's a ruse.

Video response is better, Lol.

Hoeg Law spoke about that EU dude's tweet, and it was a lot worse than expected, I wonder if Microsoft will use it as evidence against EC, Lol. Hoeg said it would be useful if Microsoft appeals against their decision (if they decide to do so). He spoke on personal bias and made it sound like he was a part of the competition authority, it doesn't matter now if he isn't, there is reasonable doubt that he would know stuff and he can't just claim personal opinion when talking on behalf of a company he works at.

Basically, all about optics, he made a mission statement by saying "The Commission is working to ensure" and didn't say "As a PlayStation fan, I hope" which is a credibility issue and makes it look like he's speaking on behalf of the EC and they're prejudging a decision before Phase 2. It also calls into question what he knows due to his ranking in the agency which makes it likely that he does know something, especially since he was formerly in that department.

Like I said, words mean nothing in business only binding contracts. Since Phil stated he is willing to sign such a contract that will be the only thing that truly settle the question or issue. Personally, COD is a small price to pay for what MS truly wants so I am sure they just want the deal done and if COD is what holding it up, they are more than willing to keep making money on PS system with COD while they continue to add value to GP and reach out to the platform they really want to dominate which is mobile devices. Being able to stream full COD on any mobile device using GP is probably the ultimate goal and MS really is not trying to compete with Sony any more but instead looking in a totally different direction.