By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Seriously? This could actually happen?

If so please let three of them be Rare Replay, Killer Instinct, and a new Banjo-Kazooie in the style of the N64 games. And maybe this could lead to the original Diddy Kong Racing being on Switch.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

Seriously? This could actually happen?

If so please let three of them be Rare Replay, Killer Instinct, and a new Banjo-Kazooie in the style of the N64 games. And maybe this could lead to the original Diddy Kong Racing being on Switch.

Article requires a subscription to view, but assuming this is about the 4 Xbox games going to other platforms, insiders say they are Sea of Thieves, Pentiment, Grounded, and HiFi Rush.

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

The growth is pretty meh but at least they reconfirmed it's profitable and even doubled down on it today, zero changes to Game Pass, it was always pitched as an additional source of revenue anyway, not the main source, 15% of MS Gaming Content and Services revenue IIRC. Porting things to other consoles could also be a way to subsidise Game Pass and continue giving us awesome content for it.

But there's other ways, PC has obviously been a slow growth, I don't know what they can do there other that put Game Pass on Steam but it's still in their back pocket, it can happen at any time, Gabe has said he would be fine with it, Lol. xCloud is more a long term future thing and probably won't have much affect on Game Pass for now. I wonder if part of the reason for the beefy consoles will be to swap Xbox Series xCloud server blades out as well and upgrade them to this really powerful hardware since Xbox Series server blades seem a bit weak compared to the competition.

Yeah, there is definitely still room for growth, even if alot of it won't be on console. I remember back in January 2022 Xbox announced they have 120m monthly active users between console, PC, and cloud. We now know that only 34m are paying for Gamepass Core or above. That is alot of potential room for growth. I do think we will see Gamepass eventually hit 40m and then 50m, it's just going to take longer than Microsoft originally expected, they foolishly thought they had a chance of 110m Gamepass subs by 2030, and I just don't see them getting anywhere close to that this decade. 

My guess would be something like 38-40m later this year on the back of the 2023 1st/2nd/3rd party exclusives, ABK games on Gamepass including CoD 2024 day one. 50m by the end of 2026. Maybe 60m by the end of the decade if they are lucky and cloud grows alot. 

That 110m goal was silly, Imho, I don't believe Game Pass could ever reach 100m+, comparing it that directly to TV streaming services is not sensible Imo, I think the way people consume TV Shows/Films is a lot different to the way people consume Games, I'm not saying Game Pass can't appeal to a casual audience, it can, but I think it won't be able to engulf them in the same way TV/Music subscriptions have, for a few factors, it's a lot easier to binge a TV Show or Film than "binge" a game, whatever that would be, many TV Shows are exclusive to subscription services, Game Pass has no exclusives, there's far more TV Show content, you don't have to put much effort or thought into a TV Show versus a game, some people literally only play a single game so it would be useless to them, etc. But it doesn't matter, it was always positioned as an additional source of revenue and as long as it remains profitable it will be fine. Just don't have the expectations it will get Netflix numbers.

Think the only chance of that is if it is literally everywhere like Netflix, on PlayStation, on Switch, on Steam, on Xbox, on TVs, on Mobiles, etc. You can't expect 100m+ on only Xbox, Windows Store and xCloud and it's a lot easier to stream a TV Show than it is a videogame so xCloud isn't a viable option for many, yet, maybe it will be in the future, that's a long term play. I think Steam could give it millions though, from all the people who don't want to touch Windows Store, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 15 February 2024

Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, there is definitely still room for growth, even if alot of it won't be on console. I remember back in January 2022 Xbox announced they have 120m monthly active users between console, PC, and cloud. We now know that only 34m are paying for Gamepass Core or above. That is alot of potential room for growth. I do think we will see Gamepass eventually hit 40m and then 50m, it's just going to take longer than Microsoft originally expected, they foolishly thought they had a chance of 110m Gamepass subs by 2030, and I just don't see them getting anywhere close to that this decade. 

My guess would be something like 38-40m later this year on the back of the 2023 1st/2nd/3rd party exclusives, ABK games on Gamepass including CoD 2024 day one. 50m by the end of 2026. Maybe 60m by the end of the decade if they are lucky and cloud grows alot. 

That 110m goal was silly, Imho, I don't believe Game Pass could ever reach 100m+, comparing it that directly to TV streaming services is not sensible Imo, I think the way people consume TV Shows/Films is a lot different to the way people consume Games, I'm not saying Game Pass can't appeal to a casual audience, it can, but I think it won't be able to engulf them in the same way TV/Music subscriptions have, for a few factors, it's a lot easier to binge a TV Show or Film than "binge" a game, whatever that would be, many TV Shows are exclusively to subscription services, Game Pass has no exclusives, there's far more TV Show content, you don't have to put much effort or thought into a TV Show versus a game, some people literally only play a single game so it would be useless to them, etc. But it doesn't matter, it was always positioned as an additional source of revenue and as long as it remains profitable it will be fine. Just don't have the expectations it will get Netflix numbers.

Most casual gamers are on mobile anyway these days, so unless Xbox plans to add their upcoming Android Xbox store to Gamepass, with a selection of free mobile games, kind of like Apple Arcade, I agree that they won't get anywhere near 100m ever, even some of the tv streaming services like Paramount+ and Max and Peacock are struggling to hit 100m subs, only the 3 biggest have pulled it off so far (Netflix, Prime, and Disney+), and even those 3 have all lost subs in recent months due to raising prices and the declining quality of their content libraries. Gamepass just isn't going to pull off 100m+ users, core gaming isn't big enough and casuals don't game on console near as much as they used to (Switch aside).

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 15 February 2024

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

That 110m goal was silly, Imho, I don't believe Game Pass could ever reach 100m+, comparing it that directly to TV streaming services is not sensible Imo, I think the way people consume TV Shows/Films is a lot different to the way people consume Games, I'm not saying Game Pass can't appeal to a casual audience, it can, but I think it won't be able to engulf them in the same way TV/Music subscriptions have, for a few factors, it's a lot easier to binge a TV Show or Film than "binge" a game, whatever that would be, many TV Shows are exclusively to subscription services, Game Pass has no exclusives, there's far more TV Show content, you don't have to put much effort or thought into a TV Show versus a game, some people literally only play a single game so it would be useless to them, etc. But it doesn't matter, it was always positioned as an additional source of revenue and as long as it remains profitable it will be fine. Just don't have the expectations it will get Netflix numbers.

Most casual gamers are on mobile anyway these days, so unless Xbox plans to add their upcoming Android Xbox store to Gamepass, with a selection of free mobile games, kind of like Apple Arcade, I agree that they won't get anywhere near 100m ever, even some of the tv streaming services like Paramount+ and Max and Peacock are struggling to hit 100m subs, only the 3 biggest have pulled it off so far (Netflix, Prime, and Disney+), and even those 3 have all lost subs in recent months due to raising prices and the declining quality of their content libraries. Gamepass just isn't going to pull off 100m+ users, core gaming isn't big enough and casuals don't game on console near as much as they used to (Switch aside).

Think the only chance of that is if it is literally everywhere like Netflix, on PlayStation, on Switch, on Steam, on Xbox, on TVs, on Mobiles, etc. You can't expect 100m+ on only Xbox, Windows Store and xCloud and it's a lot easier to stream a TV Show than it is a videogame so xCloud isn't a viable option for many, yet, maybe it will be in the future, that's a long term play. I think Steam could give it millions though, from all the people who don't want to touch Windows Store, Lol. It'd be interesting to see if they have any strong plans for Game Pass in their mobile plans though, a bit difficult, since basically all the biggest mobile titles are F2P, Lol.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Think the only chance of that is if it is literally everywhere like Netflix, on PlayStation, on Switch, on Steam, on Xbox, on TVs, on Mobiles, etc. You can't expect 100m+ on only Xbox, Windows Store and xCloud and it's a lot easier to stream a TV Show than it is a videogame so xCloud isn't a viable option for many, yet, maybe it will be in the future, that's a long term play. I think Steam could give it millions though, from all the people who don't want to touch Windows Store, Lol. It'd be interesting to see if they have any strong plans for Game Pass in their mobile plans though, a bit difficult, since basically all the biggest mobile titles are F2P, Lol.

An apple arcade like mobile version of Gamepass on this upcoming Xbox android storefront could maybe get them closer to 100m at least. Apple hasn't announced subscriber numbers for arcade but the developer of a Football game on Apple Arcade claimed it has over 100m subs at one point. But this Xbox store on Android is likely to have alot less users than both Apple Store and Google Play Store.

Opening up Gamepass to steam would be a good idea for sure, I'd guess it's drive about 10m new subs in the first quarter after the launch.  

I have Amazon Prime too, has some great shows, but I doubt it would have reached 100m+ as exclusively a TV streaming service, Prime is strong because it's linked to literally everything else that Amazon has, Lol.

shikamaru317 said:
haxxiy said:

Since these Gamepass numbers include Live Core, it means it actually shrunk since last year, doesn't it?

Not that I know of. The last updates I can recall were 25m January 2022 and "over 30m" in August 2023 from an Xbox employees LinkedIn profile. The over 30m in August was right before Gold converted to Gamepass Core, so they gained 3m+ since August between new subs and converted Gold subs. 

But there were almost 12 million Gold subscribers in January 2022. So it dropped by a couple of million in the past two years though admittedly people might be expending more now on average.

haxxiy said:
shikamaru317 said:

Not that I know of. The last updates I can recall were 25m January 2022 and "over 30m" in August 2023 from an Xbox employees LinkedIn profile. The over 30m in August was right before Gold converted to Gamepass Core, so they gained 3m+ since August between new subs and converted Gold subs. 

But there were almost 12 million Gold subscribers in January 2022. So it dropped by a couple of million in the past two years though admittedly people might be expending more now on average.

That 12m Gold Subs may have included people paying for Gamepass Ultimate though, Gamepass Ultimate comes with a Gold sub basically. 

Gamepass needs CoD. That should help give it a boost later this year.