By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
aTokenYeti said:

New rumor out that the Surface team will be designing the next Xbox hardware. This raises a lot of interesting questions for me:

1. Will they stick with AMD, or consider a different hardware vendor? Microsoft has an extremely lucrative relationship with Intel, and now that intel has been making a hard push into the GPU and AI space that could be an intriguing option.

2. Will Xbox go back to being one device, or will it balloon into many devices?

3. If it’s many devices, will one of those devices be mobile/handheld? Or perhaps something hybrid like a switch?

The third one in particular is really intriguing to me. They could mitigate a lot of the negatives of going third party for a lot of their games by having the option of a hybrid console like a switch or steamdeck. Frankly, I would vastly prefer something like that to an expensive and bulky gaming laptop, and that would do a lot to keep me in the Xbox ecosystem

The recent leaks I've seen answer some of those questions:

1. Yes, they seem to be sticking with AMD, supposedly they will be using a Zen 5 CPU (up from Zen 2 on Series S/X) and an RDNA 5 GPU (up from RDNA 2 on Series S/X) with a release plan of 2026.

2. The most recent leak, which seems to have been corroborated by 2 different sources, is that they will indeed have 2 pieces of official hardware next.

3. The above leak says that the 2 pieces of official hardware are a high end console to replace the Series X, and a handheld/console hybrid with a Switch-like dock. No cheaper Series S replacement it's looking like right now, as I'm sure the hybrid handheld will be at least the same price as the high end console if they don't want it's specs to hold back developers even more than Series S did.

But then we also have the Indiana Jones leaker who claimed that 3rd party OEM vendors were being allowed to make Xbox branded PC consoles, so it seems like there may be alot of Xbox hardware options next gen. I just hope they decide to run them all on a stripped down Windows OS so that Steam can run on the next-gen Xbox hardware in addition to Microsoft Store and PC Gamepass games. Having Steam as an option on next-gen Xbox's would solve so many of the problems Xbox has with winning over 3rd party ports. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 11 February 2024

Around the Network

Having my steam library and my Xbox library on a next gen Xbox would be incredible. Like if that actually was going to happen all of my negativity the last 2 weeks would vanish instantly. The main reason I have kept purchasing Xboxes the last 10 years instead of switching to PS is that I still prefer the controller, have a large back catalogue of games, and the interoperability with PC.

Surface team? RIP

aTokenYeti said:

Having my steam library and my Xbox library on a next gen Xbox would be incredible. Like if that actually was going to happen all of my negativity the last 2 weeks would vanish instantly. The main reason I have kept purchasing Xboxes the last 10 years instead of switching to PS is that I still prefer the controller, have a large back catalogue of games, and the interoperability with PC.

https://www.amazon.com/MAYFLASH-Bluetooth-Controller-Raspberry-Compatible/dp/B079B5KHWQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1WTUXMR6B7WY&keywords=magic%2BNS&qid=1707688006&sprefix=magic%2B%2Caps%2C379&sr=8-1&th=1

Use that if you want to use your Xbox controller with Switch or Playstation.

This is what I use.

BasilZero said:

Surface team? RIP

They're doing the handheld hybrid console supposedly, I assume Jason Ronald's team who made the Series S and X are in charge of the higher end traditional console. 

Around the Network

I gave Skull and Bones a chance on this open beta weekend. Seems very fetch questy and the singleplayer mode they once promised seems to be lacking, it only has a mixture of PvE safe zones and a large PvP map much like Sea of Thieves at launch (before the recent addition of private servers).

Definitely going to get mainly 6 and 7 out of 10 reviews I think.

It's certainly not the game I wanted, right now it just feels like Sea of Thieves without the Rare charm. Neither is my dream pirate game, all I want is basically a sequel to AC4 Black Flag without the Assassin's Creed trappings, the gameplay of AC4 (minus assassinations and leaps of faith maybe), ground and sea exploration and combat, a proper singleplayer story campaign instead of fetch quests. Instead Ubisoft gave us a PvEvP mess of half baked ideas that somehow took like 10 years to develop.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 11 February 2024

A hybrid Xbox sounds kinda interesting. There seems to be a decent amount of rumors suggesting Sony doing a pure handheld and Xbox doing a hybrid-type console. I guess they see the Switch's massive sales and want some of that action themselves. Not sure how successful either of the two could be but I welcome the idea.

My issue with a Switch-like Xbox is that I'm already going to own the Switch 2. I don't want two hybrids to have to carry around. If they have that plus a traditional console, I'll stick with the traditional console or cloud.

Dulfite said:

My issue with a Switch-like Xbox is that I'm already going to own the Switch 2. I don't want two hybrids to have to carry around. If they have that plus a traditional console, I'll stick with the traditional console or cloud.

I agree with you why with you with all the pc portables in the market now if xbox does it.  That market will be saturated. 

BiON!@ 

NobleTeam360 said:
EspadaGrim said:

It's funny to see PlayStation fans port begging despite the discourse online about Xbox 1st party games, the funniest comment I saw is that "Starfield sucks again" after Nate backtracked on the rumor lol

All of a sudden people were cured of their motion sickness when they heard the possibility of Indy coming to PS5.

PS first party looking pretty dry this year (and last year) so they might need something to cling to at this point. 

Edit: Granted, Sony has locked down some 3rd party moneyhats so that could satisfy them while Sony First party cooks.

This year will be very dry for Sony when it comes to 1st party studio releases but it won't be as bad as 2023 imo, They have some solid Second party games along with free exclusives like ZZZ and GBF Relink. They can keep FoamStars though