By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Also another thing, I feel like a PC hardware would link to Microsoft's recent effort to push "open ecosystems" everywhere, they are demanding it from everyone else, it'd be good to lead by example, it could have Xbox store but also access to Epic Game Store, Steam, Battle Net, GOG, etc. Microsoft builds the hardware, they make the OS, but they allow other storefronts too, a bit like Google.

Might make the Xbox have to be sold at a decent profit though, so the fear is it'd be expensive, but as someone who is reluctant to get into PC gaming not really out of price but laziness and a lack of knowledge, I'd probably buy a pretty expensive piece of hardware for gaming only to sit alongside my TV as per usual while I continue to use my PC for everyday tasks, Lol.

I wonder though if they could provide a small charge for people to unlock access to other storefronts in order to bring the price down.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 08 February 2024

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

I really hope they do go with the PC idea but I wonder if we're just trying to will it into existence, Lmao. For me, it would be the most interesting hardware that Xbox has ever released (aside from maybe the handheld). Xbox form factor, a good amount of power, Xbox UI, stripped back Windows, a merged Xbox store, access to Steam. Even if Xbox went fully multiplatform I'd buy it, Lol.

Yeah, we really probably just wishing on a star for MS to make some type of crazy move and they hit a home run.  I was thinking that MS could still have their own custom chip within their version of the the new Xbox console all the while allowing 3rd party vendors to make their own and allow the ability to use off the shelf or approved hardware.  This would give MS that flexibility where they have a low end, mid tier and high end console to appeal to a broader market including the PC crowd.

So what y’all playing whilst you wait for your dreams to be shattered?

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

AAAA? Come on now Yves, the only games I've seen that could conceivably be called AAAA are the really high budget ones with highly detailed worlds, like TLOU 2 and RDR2 and the upcoming GTA 6. Skull & Bones looks like it was developed in like 2018, I legit see no noticeable graphics improvements compared to the E3 2018 gameplay. Somebody recently compared the naval combat to AC4 and found that it is actually worse than AC4 in many areas, sporting things like worse damage models (huge fire explosions when hitting a wooden ship with cannonballs which would usually only happen if the black powder magazine was hit) and floatier physics that make the ships too nimble for the era. Worse weather effects too. Pretty sad when your game from 2024 only offers graphics improvements over your game from 2013. Get out of here with this AAAA shit. 

I really hope Yves decides to retire in 2 years at 65, maybe then there will be a chance of a decent CEO at least. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 08 February 2024

Ryuu96 said:

Also another thing, I feel like a PC hardware would link to Microsoft's recent effort to push "open ecosystems" everywhere, they are demanding it from everyone else, it'd be good to lead by example, it could have Xbox store but also access to Epic Game Store, Steam, Battle Net, GOG, etc. Microsoft builds the hardware, they make the OS, but they allow other storefronts too, a bit like Google.

Might make the Xbox have to be sold at a decent profit though, so the fear is it'd be expensive, but as someone who is reluctant to get into PC gaming not really out of price but laziness and a lack of knowledge, I'd probably buy a pretty expensive piece of hardware for gaming only to sit alongside my TV as per usual while I continue to use my PC for everyday tasks, Lol.

I wonder though if they could provide a small charge for people to unlock access to other storefronts in order to bring the price down.

There is where the rumored dockable handheld would enter the fray! 

Around the Network

Ubislop should probably stop speaking, Skullz$Flopz isn’t a AAAA 😂😂😂😂

Last edited by VersusEvil - on 08 February 2024

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

You know when GTA 6 is deep in production when TT posts multiple hundred million losses in a row.

GTA 6 will be delayed to 2026 as well I reckon.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 08 February 2024

Ryuu96 said:

You know when GTA 6 is deep in production when TT posts multiple hundred million losses in a row.

They delayed a game out of this quarter that wasn't even announced yet, with only 9 weeks left in the quarter? What were they planning to do before today, shadow drop it out of nowhere in March? The only game they have announced for 2024 at all is TopSpin 2K25, their 2K Sports Tennis game, so I guess they could have delayed it out of March into FYQ1 (April-June) or later.

It's honestly kind of odd they seem to have so little for 2024. Where is Gearbox at with their next Borderlands, it will be 5 years since Borderlands 3 later in 2024, and Tiny Tina's Wonderlands was made by a side team, not the main team. Where is Bioshock 4, that game entered development in 2018 and they can't even manage to release it in 2024 after 6 years of development time? Where is the 31st union multiplayer shooter that began development 5 years ago can't even manage a beta for 2024? Where is the 2K Sports NFL Arcade game that has now been delayed three times, from 2021 to 2022, from 2022 to 2023, and now to 2024 presumably? 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 08 February 2024

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

They delayed a game out of this quarter that wasn't even announced yet, with only 9 weeks left in the quarter? What were they planning to do before today, shadow drop it out of nowhere in March? The only game they have announced for 2024 at all is TopSpin 2K25, their 2K Sports Tennis game, so I guess they could have delayed it out of March into FYQ1 (April-June) or later.

It's honestly kind of odd they seem to have so little for 2024. Where is Gearbox at with their next Borderlands, it will be 5 years since Borderlands 3 later in 2024, and Tiny Tina's Wonderlands was made by a side team, not the main team. Where is Bioshock 4, that game entered development in 2018 and they can't even manage to release it in 2024 after 6 years of development time? Where is the 31st union multiplayer shooter that began development 5 years ago can't even manage a beta for 2024? Where is the 2K Sports NFL Arcade game that has now been delayed three times, from 2021 to 2022, from 2022 to 2023, and now to 2024 presumably? 

Take-Two seem to be pretty heavily reliant on their publishing efforts in 2024. Private Division has a few games scheduled for this year like No Rest for the Wicked. Gearbox is publishing Homeworld 3 in May and a Roguelike game called Hyper Light Breaker. 2K always gonna put out another NBA and WWE game. 

A potential wild card is Civlization 7. It'll have been 8 years since Civ 6 released, so that could be a surprise summer announcement and holiday release. 2K could also drop the new Mafia game that's been in development. 

Just spit balling though. 

Ryuu96 said:

Each individual dot on the graphic above represents one person laid off at some point in the last 13 months. In addition to PC Gamer's own reporting, Gamesindustry.biz, Wrapped.games, and the public Games Industry Layoffs tracker hosted on Obsidian Publishing were essential resources in compiling the big picture.

Our own estimated total for 2023's layoffs was 11,250 people (the Obsidian tracker posits at least 10,500), while in 2024 we had already reached nearly 6,000 layoffs (5,900 on the public list) by the end of January. More layoffs have been reported in the early days of February, including an unknown number at Visual Concepts Austin, which Take-Two acquired in 2021.

As many observers have pointed out, the industry is already halfway to 2023's total layoffs just one month into 2024. 2023 was higher than 2022's estimated 8,500 total layoffs, and the wider tech downturn that these games layoffs spun off from was already underway by the end of that year.

The impact of 16,000 games industry layoffs, in one chart | PC Gamer

This is so fucking depressing.

Profits first.
Replace lost workforce (devs/programmers) with A.I tools for remaining programmers.

Its the way of the world.
Its gonna get much much worse, and in alot of fields of work, not just codeing.