By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

As a Consumer Would You Rather?

Traditional Console + Everything Exclusive 18 40.00%

Xbox/PC Hybrid + Access t... 27 60.00%

Total:45

I wouldn't expect Diablo 4 to show up on GP day 1 if the deal isn't closed by then.

Around the Network
Angelus said:
Ryuu96 said:

Microsoft's own statements backed them up, if Microsoft really mislead or deceived or straight up lied to EU like that, we would have heard it from EU, not FTC. EU would have mentioned it already, EU does not play around with this shit and they are not afraid to slap down American companies, Lol. It's going to be really telling if EC approves the deal whilst FTC is using an argument as part of EC's regulatory process to block the deal.

Also I would say that even if they did mislead EU, there is a huge difference between casually saying something and having it written down in a contract (which CoD would be) and Minecraft is evidence that they will sometimes do this sort of thing (which FTC didn't mention once in their complaint). But hey we can stick a fork in that because EC refuted it.

With EU now confirming that Microsoft did not mislead them, I'm honestly even more convinced that FTC knows that CMA is going to block the deal now. I really wish CMA doesn't be an idiot because I want to see Microsoft destroy FTC in court now, Lol.

While we can't rule out that the CMA might block it, based on their behavior so far, I don't think that's playing into the FTC's decision here. Their recent track record clearly just speaks to a climate of trying to score political points, rather than any deep consideration of whether or not something will lead to a win, or even perceived win.

I think we need to take Ryuu crystal ball away.  He is seeing conspiracy in every nook and cranny.  Let me tell you about Americans, especially in government agency, they do not recognize other countries.  I highly doubt that the FTC is making any complicated plans or even know how the CMA will judge the MS deal.  Instead, these people are looking at their own careers and how to further their ability to make big bucks.

Machiavellian said:
Angelus said:

While we can't rule out that the CMA might block it, based on their behavior so far, I don't think that's playing into the FTC's decision here. Their recent track record clearly just speaks to a climate of trying to score political points, rather than any deep consideration of whether or not something will lead to a win, or even perceived win.

I think we need to take Ryuu crystal ball away.  He is seeing conspiracy in every nook and cranny.  Let me tell you about Americans, especially in government agency, they do not recognize other countries.  I highly doubt that the FTC is making any complicated plans or even know how the CMA will judge the MS deal.  Instead, these people are looking at their own careers and how to further their ability to make big bucks.

100% that as well as the past 5+ years of American politics has shown us, voting along party lines. With no in-between or room for compromise. 

Machiavellian said:
Angelus said:

Tbf my crystal ball predicted that FTC would block the deal

They may not know for sure, but it's at least clearly what they are betting on, maybe they are making the hope based on CMA's Phase 1 though.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 09 December 2022

Former FTC Commissioner: FTC has an uphill battle ahead with Microsoft lawsuit - YouTube

Around the Network

Apparently the EU regulator just confirmed in a statement that Xbox made no promises about Zenimax games not being made exclusive as FTC claims. A big part of FTC case built on a lie. Judge should toss it.

Edit: Seems somebody else already posted about this on the previous page and I missed it while typing my long 2023 expectations list. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 09 December 2022

Ryuu96 said:
Machiavellian said:

They may not know for sure, but it's at least clearly what they are betting on, maybe they are making the hope based on CMA's Phase 1 though.

No, they are not betting on another country nixing the deal, instead this is all about personal careers.  It does not matter if MS succeeds or not, instead it's a high-profile deal where someone wants on their record of standing up to big tech. You can tell by how weak the whole arguments are.  This is for show and nothing else.  I just believe you have an inflated opinion of US government officials.  If you asked them what the EU is they would tell you it's a candy bar.

Machiavellian said:
Ryuu96 said:

No, they are not betting on another country nixing the deal, instead this is all about personal careers.  It does not matter if MS succeeds or not, instead it's a high-profile deal where someone wants on their record of standing up to big tech. You can tell by how weak the whole arguments are.  This is for show and nothing else.  I just believe you have an inflated opinion of US government officials.  If you asked them what the EU is they would tell you it's a candy bar.

Of course it matters if Microsoft succeeds, are you really suggesting that they genuinely want on their career "we stood up to Microsoft and completely failed" Lol. That does not help their career at all. They want this deal blocked because that is what proves that they've stood up to big tech and won, standing up to big tech and failing is irrelevant.

Their arguments are weak on purpose, it's a delay tactic, instead of skipping straight to federal courts they are using their internal courts who firstly have to approve their blocking the deal, then Microsoft can take it to federal courts but only after FTC's internal courts have decided, the argument is weak so that when FTC commission brings it to their internal courts, they will send it back to FTC commissioners to re-do it, then it goes back to the internal court, they approve or deny the block and then Microsoft can take it to federal courts.

It's all a delay tactic and why? Because FTC either wants someone outside to block the deal (CMA) which would kill the deal completely or they want to delay it long enough for Microsoft to abandon the deal (the court case is August at minimum and that's for the internal procedure, Microsoft needs to get through that before they can take it to federal courts).

This is precisely why companies have brought a case to the Supreme Court to allow companies to force FTC out of this internal court process and skip straight to federal courts, because this tactic is a very real tactic that FTC employs to try to get deals scuttled.

This is all stuff that I've read/listened to from lawyers...

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 09 December 2022

when Eminem said "The FTC wont let me be" or whatever, I felt that