By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Honestly never played a Wolfenstein game so I guess I'm part of the problem lol.

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:
shikamaru317 said:

I didn't mind them much either, they were a bit cringey at times, but were mostly likeable. With some maturing from a likely time skip of a few years between Youngblood and 3, their immaturity should be gone and they should be much more likeable, I wouldn't have minded playing as them again in Wolfenstein 3 personally, at least in a few levels, with BJ playable in most levels. But it seemed like the majority absolutely hated the twins, I saw so many hate comments about them on videos and such and even many of the critics said they didn't like them. 

Damn! I didn’t know it was that bad. I was over here asking questions like, why are there numbers popping off enemies? Why are the enemies acting bullet spongy now? When did gold go from being a collectible to premium currency?

Definitely cringy at times, but like you said, they could have continue to matured and been very memorable characters in their next game. Oh well. 

Yeah, the game just had alot of issues sadly. The integration of RPG mechanics turned enemies into bullet sponges and made stealth less fun since there were some enemies you couldn't one-shot with a silenced pistol headshot, so shooting them at all would alert them and end stealth. Then you had the GaaS stuff with the skins you could buy for guns and the power armor and such.

But people definitely hated the twins too. For instance, here is one of the top comments from the Youtube video "The Tragedy of Wolfenstein Youngblood", this comment has over 600 likes: "The game would have been awful even without the two protagonists but my god, I never hated fictional characters more than those two." And here is one of the top comments from another Youtube video titled "Wolfenstein Youngblood is INSUILTING", this comment has 2.6k likes: "Remember when New Colossus came out and people said that having a pregnant woman in front line combat would cause the kids to be born with permanent brain damage? I guess that's canon now."

I was honestly a bit surprised by just how much people hated the twins, I found them to be a weird mix of endearing and cringey personally, felt they were just kind of so-so, but that they could be redeemed through good character development in subsequent entries, just like how Ahsoka was cringey when she was first introduced in Star Wars: Clone Wars, but through good development turned into one of the best Star Wars characters, or like how people hated Steve Harrington's guts in the first season of Stranger Things, but how he evolved to become many peoples' favorite character over the subsequent seasons. But I guess Jessie and Zofia will never get that chance to grow into better characters through good character development now, if Wolfenstein 3 is truly dead.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 24 September 2023

Me and Adoring Fan the Deadliest Duo in the Galaxy.

Ship Build: Morphologis

Changed some things to make it more powerful.

Sucks that the Monster Costume counts as a Spacesuit instead of Apparel.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 24 September 2023

Now I'm never changing my ship because IT KEEPS PUTTING SHIT IN MY CARGO HOLD. I don't see why changing anything at all should dump everything into the cargo hold, Lol. If I move a piece of my ship to a different section then move the items inside it with it. At the absolute MINIMUM there should be no reason why ADDING a NEW piece should dump everything from your EXISTING pieces into the cargo hold.

Now I'm trying to do something incredibly silly and ridiculous which may take me hours.

I should really finish this game already but I keep getting distracted by stuff and now I'm doing dumb shit

Spent the past hour just getting that Monster Costume and Dance Outfit alone, Lmao.

Around the Network

Just noticed that Mortal Kombat 1 already overtook Street Fighter 6 on TA (both at almost 18k players).
Less than a week vs. almost 4 months of availability.

Last edited by Barozi - on 24 September 2023

Ryuu96 said:

Lets highlight this part specifically, again.

Is there any Japanese studio besides Tango in XGS?

shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, it is very strange indeed. While Xbox accounting for 21% of sales on a JP game might not scale all the way up from this niche title to AA JP titles that sell like 500k+ and AAA JP games that sell like 3m+, if Xbox can manage even 10% of total sales on those bigger JP games, 10% should be well over the break even threshold from the porting costs and well into profitability. So why then does it seem like so many JP devs/pubs go out of their way to skip Xbox releases?

I see you bring this up over and over again. What I can't quite understand is on which data do you base this assumption? I can be wrong but I think for most publishers breaking even or having small profits is not enough. Different publishers use different metrics to decide what target platforms will be for the game. I think there are publishers that expect 10x of the porting cost profitability to justify it. Or well, if we say the port might break even at 3K sales, but they are not interested in it if it sells 10k copies or something

derpysquirtle64 said:

shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, it is very strange indeed. While Xbox accounting for 21% of sales on a JP game might not scale all the way up from this niche title to AA JP titles that sell like 500k+ and AAA JP games that sell like 3m+, if Xbox can manage even 10% of total sales on those bigger JP games, 10% should be well over the break even threshold from the porting costs and well into profitability. So why then does it seem like so many JP devs/pubs go out of their way to skip Xbox releases?

I see you bring this up over and over again. What I can't quite understand is on which data do you base this assumption? I can be wrong but I think for most publishers breaking even or having small profits is not enough. Different publishers use different metrics to decide what target platforms will be for the game. I think there are publishers that expect 10x of the porting cost profitability to justify it. Or well, if we say the port might break even at 3K sales, but they are not interested in it if it sells 10k copies or 

I mean it is just pure logical reasoning on my part, none of us have any real data to base anything on since Japanese publishers aren't going to publicly release that data to us. My thinking is that any profit is profit. If I'm in charge of financial decisions at a game publisher, I'm always going to chose $33m in profit for a game over $30m in profit from a game, just as an example. If an Xbox port of a JP game can account for at least 10% of total sales, it is almost certainly going to be adding pure profit to a game. Porting is faster, easier, and cheaper than it has ever been in the past, due to how similar Xbox Series, PS5, and PC are to one another these days. A few months of just a small fraction of the total workforce of a developer spent porting a game to Xbox is not going to take significant enough development resources away from that developer's next brand new game to offset any profit from said Xbox port. Those Xbox sales would pay the monthly salaries of the porting team with plenty left over for pure profit from the port, which is worth alot more in the long run than the next brand new game from that studio being able to release maybe a month or two earlier as a result of having a larger workforce earlier. Or alternatively they can contract out a 3rd party porting studio to handle the Xbox port, so that no developers at the studio that made the game are required to actually port the game to Xbox. As long as Xbox sales are enough to pay the fees of said 3rd party porting studio, the JP pub is going to make profit on the Xbox port, and any profit is profit. And just putting a game on Xbox at all gives your game a chance of being chosen for an eventual late Gamepass addition, so even more profit if Xbox does make a deal for a late Gamepass addition on your game.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 24 September 2023

Beat game number 8 for this year - ANNO Mutationem.
I remember this game being announced at State of Play a few years ago and it got me interested back then. It finally released on Xbox a few days ago. This is a 2D/2.5D action/platforming indie game in cyberpunk setting. I liked gameplay, music, graphics and setting for the most part. But there are few issues with the game that spoil impression. First of all, the story becomes a bit confusing and weird by the end of the game and a lot of things are left unexplained, rushed and scrapped it seems. Second - I personally felt like certain gameplay element which is weapon enhancement with chips is not realised to full potential, because the game is not long enough for that. Probably this mechanic shouldn't have existed in the game. Third - I fell like the balance between main and side missions is not that great, and there are not many side missions in general. Coming back to previous point - side missions exist in this game just for the sake of existing. Anyway, the game itself is solid and I really enjoyed it. It was made by small Chinese indie studio and as I understand correctly it's their first game, so it has this "concept" vibe.

I think I'll give it a 8/10.

But, now comes specific Xbox-related stuff. The port is not really good. There are minor performance issues on Series S which were kinda a bit annoying during boss fights for a game like that, where every frame matters. Still it's not as bad as straight up visual/graphics bug which can be seen in certain parts of the game, but it's super annoying during one of the ending battles because it covers up the big part of the screen and you are not able to see where your character is during that battle if you stay at certain spot which is very important there. And, broken platinum. You can't get 1000G. 900G is all you can get. As the achievement for getting all achievements is broken. Not sure if it's ever gonna be fixed because I've calculated that there are only 200 people as of today on XBL who played the game and I'm the second to beat it.

derpysquirtle64 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Lets highlight this part specifically, again.

Is there any Japanese studio besides Tango in XGS?

I think you might have missed the part where he said "we are developing new games in cooperation with Japanese studios".