By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

https://x.com/jezcorden/status/1704272288118341998

Crazy that Jez seems to be the only one speaking sense on twitter about this stuff 

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Well, unfortunately I seem to have hit a deadend in Starfield and will have to wait on an eventual bug fix in a patch to continue playing. Without the ability to dock at The Den I have now reached a point where I can't continue the main story because Vladimir tells me I need to finish my current companion quest before I can talk to him and continue the main story, and my companion quest requires me to dock at the Den. As of now, it seems the only known fix for the docking bug is to start NG+, which I obviously can't do because I can't finish the main story. Hopefully this bug is fixed in the next patch.

Why can't you dock? The Den in the Wolf System?

Yep. It's a bug where if you take a pirated ship to The Den to sell off contraband inside (the Den is the only place where you can sell contraband without a scan) and then sell the ship itself, when you go to leave the Den afterwards you are teleported to New Atlantis spaceport, the spaceport map is damaged and some NPC's fall though the map or lose their clothing (which is why I have no Jemison Mercantile vendor woman or ship technician and NPC's in their underwear in New Atlantis spaceport), and you can't dock with the Den again for the rest of the game. This happened to me much earlier in the game and by the time I looked up just how serious the bug was, I would have lost like 30+ hours of playtime by reverting to a save from before I took the pirated ship to the Den. This wouldn't normally be a problem as I don't think the main story takes you to the Den, so if you get this bug you can rush the main story and go into NG+ which fixes the bug, but I wasn't paying enough attention and started the Andreja companion quest which takes you to the Den and now I'm locked into her quest with no way to leave it, finish it, or finish the main story sadly, unless I revert to save from before I started her companion quest which is like 10+ hours of playtime lost. At this point I think my best bet is just waiting for a patch, I just hope Bethesda actually fixes it in the next patch. It seems to be a bug happening to quite a few people based on the number of articles and reddit threads about it, and it can become quite literally game-breaking as it did for me, so hopefully it is a high priority fix for Bethesda. 

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Yep. It's a bug where if you take a pirated ship to The Den to sell off contraband inside (the Den is the only place where you can sell contraband without a scan) and then sell the ship itself, when you go to leave the Den afterwards you are teleported to New Atlantis spaceport, the spaceport map is damaged and some NPC's fall though the map or lose their clothing (which is why I have no Jemison Mercantile vendor woman or ship technician and NPC's in their underwear in New Atlantis spaceport), and you can't dock with the Den again for the rest of the game. This happened to me much earlier in the game and by the time I looked up just how serious the bug was, I would have lost like 30+ hours of playtime by reverting to a save from before I took the pirated ship to the Den. This wouldn't normally be a problem as I don't think the main story takes you to the Den, so if you get this bug you can rush the main story and go into NG+ which fixes the bug, but I wasn't paying enough attention and started the Andreja companion quest which takes you to the Den and now I'm locked into her quest with no way to leave it, finish it, or finish the main story sadly, unless I revert to save from before I started her companion quest which is like 10+ hours of playtime lost. At this point I think my best bet is just waiting for a patch, I just hope Bethesda actually fixes it in the next patch. It seems to be a bug happening to quite a few people based on the number of articles and reddit threads about it, and it can become quite literally game-breaking as it did for me, so hopefully it is a high priority fix for Bethesda. 

Wait, you have to complete all companion quests before you can complete the main quest? Well damn, I've only done Sarah's lol. I only have the Ryujin faction quest left before I was planning on finish the main story. 

gtotheunit91 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Wait, you have to complete all companion quests before you can complete the main quest? Well damn, I've only done Sarah's lol. I only have the Ryujin faction quest left before I was planning on finish the main story. 

No, you just have to complete any active companion quest if you have one before Vladimir will let you finish the "Further Into the Unknown" story mission and start "Short Sighted" which has you going to The Eye to make some repairs before Vlad can use it to find more artifacts. 

shikamaru317 said:
gtotheunit91 said:

No, you just have to complete any active companion quest if you have one before Vladimir will let you finish the "Further Into the Unknown" story mission and start "Short Sighted" which has you going to The Eye to make some repairs before Vlad can use it to find more artifacts. 

Gotcha! I was thinking about trying to start Andreja's companion quest, but you got me second guessing that lol. 

Sorry to hear man. Is there any sort of ticketing system with Bethesda to report issues? I know there's a BethesdaSupport twitter account but idk how useful that is

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

Idk what Starkville is, I'm trying to figure it out, but the codenames for Series X/S were Scarlett, Anaconda and Lockhart so Starkville unless the codename has changed, I think Starkville is something else, I just can't figure out what.

I mean sure, people can lose their digital games, e-books, people can lose their digital libraries after having their accounts closed, they can also lose their physical games, they can break, they can degrade, their console can be bricked, they can be banned from videogames even having a disc, etc. You're using uncommon scenarios to paint a whole picture.

Are you talking about TV Show streaming and cancellations? In which case I would disagree because cancellations have always happened when something wasn't profitable. Or are you talking about Zaslav being a dickhead? Yes that sucks, which is why we need more digital preservation and focus our efforts there instead of shouting into the void for physical copies, they're already gone/going but we can further efforts in digital preservation.

Games which are de-listed can be played as long as you still own them, no?

I mean...This is an extreme take that everything will be subscription based because some media is, Lol. It's a bit dramatic.

Personally doesn't bother me that I don't own my digital library or the TV Shows that I watched. I ain't got the space for it anyway, nor do I really want it, I rarely rewatch or replay stuff years later and the vast majority of stuff that I have digitally, or have watched, I can still play/watch anyway, like practically everything, Lol. TV Show subs have given me more stuff to watch than ever before that I can't keep up anymore.

It's not 100% verified that Starkville is the Series X, but the timing and everything else is rather suspicious. Hopefully it really is just an option.

People can be banned from playing online (definitely a problem for an MMO or online-only MP game), but they cannot be banned from the use of their discs. I live in the U.S., and under current federal law physical books, music, movies, and console games are treated as "sold, not licensed." MS cannot prevent me from playing Halo 3 campaign or local split-screen. Nintendo can't take away my ability to use my Super Mario Odyssey cartridge. Et cetera. It's digital that's treated as "licensed, not sold." The fact that MS, Nintendo, Sony, Amazon, Apple, etc., have the power to strip you of your licenses for digital downloads is worrying, even if it's something that happens rarely. It shouldn't happen at all.

Regarding de-listed games, sure, if you got it while the getting was good, you still have access to the title as long as it's on your hard drive. If something happens to it and it's no longer available for re-download, well... Like I said, once the Halo 2 DLC maps became unavailable for download and I somehow lost that data, I couldn't re-download them. There was, fortunately, a physical option for all but the last two maps. Only physical allows someone who wants to purchase a title no longer in publication to do so. There are countless digital-only games that have never been re-listed after being de-listed, many of them having been gone for many years with no indication that they'll ever be available again. Think of all the digital stores that have been closed on consoles. If you lose any of your old WiiWare games, well, you're just shit outta luck. There's no way to re-download them. But there's lots of old games released physically that are long OOP and never got re-released (some of them being orphaned works), yet you can still buy them.

Regarding game preservation, yes, everything decays over time. Nothing lasts forever, not even the earth and sky. But if you take good care of your physical copies, they will last you a lifetime. I still have CDs that are 20-25 years old or more that are still in pristine condition. My old NES & SNES carts still work. And even if a console dies on you, once the patents expire anyone with the money & know-how can create clone consoles (I have Analogue's SNES & Genesis clones and they're amazing).

And yes, I was talking about what David Zaslav and others have done. There have been multiple series that were only available via streaming that have been removed, with no indication that they'll ever be available again, at least not any time soon. We will see the same problems with game streaming. If streaming were the only way to play Forza, every time one of the games was pulled for licensing reasons, you'd lose access to them. Streaming has generally demonstrated itself to be the least reliable form of media distribution because of how ephemeral the content is (plus it requires a constant internet connection, which is another drawback).

My skepticism towards digital will go away the moment the necessary legal reforms are put into place where downloads are treated as "sold, not licensed," requiring owners of distribution platforms to implement a means of license transfer for people to re-sell, gift, or lend their games and removing their ability to take away access to any lawfully-purchased copy. IIRC, this is how it works in Europe, where digital downloads are apparently treated just like tangible copies. Also, there needs to be some mechanism to ensure the ability to re-download games into perpetuity.

Until that day arrives, I want the ability to buy an actual, tangible product that I can hold in my hands and say "This is mine." In its current form and the way the law currently is in the U.S., digital just has too many drawbacks.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

I’ve had this bug, was the first bug I had in fact. you have half a dozen auto saves? Also, I fixed this by just using the ship tech to make a different ship my home ship. 

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Damn...Maybe submit a ticket to Bethesda support like G2 says?

Does the dock not appear at all or can you dock but the board button doesn't work?

gtotheunit91 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Gotcha! I was thinking about trying to start Andreja's companion quest, but you got me second guessing that lol. 

Sorry to hear man. Is there any sort of ticketing system with Bethesda to report issues? I know there's a BethesdaSupport twitter account but idk how useful that is

Yeah, just submitted a ticket with them. 

Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Damn...Maybe submit a ticket to Bethesda support like G2 says?

Does the dock not appear at all or can you dock but the board button doesn't work?

I can dock but can't board, neither from the pilot seat nor from my docking module inside the ship. I've tried saving and reloading the area, I've tried changing ships and trying to board from other ships (tried 3 different ships), I've tried hailing before docking, I've tried docking, undocking, and then redocking before trying to board, nothing works sadly.