By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
shikamaru317 said:

Just when I thought PC Gamers's Bethesda/Starfield hate boner couldn't get any worse, they go and retweet a Fallout 4 hate article from 8 years ago.

https://twitter.com/PeterOvo5/status/1693129808392151162?t=4S-NMCt8cmlsz5FGVpbwZg&s=19

Pretty safe bet we are looking at 7/10 at best from PC Gamer and Gamerant at this point, hopefully they are the two lowest and the vast majority are 9/10 or higher.

Fallout 4 was a pretty bad RPG though, but yeah it's weird to retweet an old article. This may be in an indication of their review...

Around the Network

These are all reviewing Starfield. Obviously being vague but clearly about Starfield.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 20 August 2023

Clearly Tango Gameworks didn't care about their game /s.

Pete Mf Hines.

The quotation around the word "dev" 💀

Ryuu96 said:

Pete Mf Hines.

Ok... I'm not a fan of Mark Kern's tweet either, but the implications with "dev" are outright obnoxious.  You're talking about someone who was an old-school Blizzard dev, including StarCraft, Diablo II, & team lead for WoW, who was partly inspired to leave based on moral grounds.  It'd be nice if we just stuck to casual dunking of a dumb tweet versus this attitude.

Last edited by coolbeans - on 20 August 2023

Around the Network

Finished Soulcalibur 1 HD on my Xbox Series S.

Played through all characters in Arcade mode.

Tried out Survival mode and Extra Survival Mode as well.

4 hours overall. Not too bad.

Huge improvement in terms of visual design over Soul Blade 1 however lacks opening intro and lacks a story like mode (that was in the original Dreamcast version).

At least it has a museum but that doesnt make up for the lack of a extra game mode and a major one at it as well.

All 19 characters were unlocked at the beginning too.

At least you arent stuck at always fighting in 3 rounds like Soulcalibur V...so thats a huge improvement if you play the games in a irregular order like I did lol

Anyways 80 out of 100 for Soulcalibur 1 for Xbox 360

This is what I scored it in regards to with the rest of the series that I played/finished so far.

Soul Blade (PS1): 79
Soulcalibur (X360): 80
Soulcalibur II (GCN): N/A
Soulcalibur Broken Destiny (PSP): N/A
Soulcalibur V (PS3): 84

Next game I will be playing on my Xbox Series S will be Gears of War 2 but that will likely be in October (or around that time) after I finish the other games I'm playing through right now.

coolbeans said:

Ok... I'm not a fan of how Mark Kern's tweet either, but the implications with "dev" are outright obnoxious.  You're talking about someone who was an old-school Blizzard dev, including StarCraft, Diablo II, & team lead for WoW, who was partly inspired to leave based on moral grounds.  It'd be nice if we just stuck to casual dunking of a dumb tweet versus this attitude.

I'm sorry but saying that he left partly inspired by morale grounds is speculation, and we really don't know at the end; could have just been good timing but bringing that to show some bright light is not working for me at least. You can do something nice (or like this one; speculate that he did instead of using it as a good excuse because of the timing) and still be an ass... 

Posting something like that shows me that he is not that "nice" guy at all actually. This is really bad to shit on other devs esp. if he is in the industry for so long. He knows how those devs worked their ass for years to bring that game up and it is very disrespectful.

To me, that guy sounds like a complete jerk. Being a long-time dev does not change that.

And this goes for all the other 'devs' posting that kind of shit lately; this is a really dicky attitude and what is the point of doing that and bitching other players/devs in your industry.

Edit: I'm a dev, and I'm particularly sensible to this; same when someone in my team talks shit about another dev; this is just the worse.

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 20 August 2023

I have been playing the hell out of Baldurs Gate 3 recently. This game is a transcendent achievement for the genre and is one of my favorite games released in the last 5-7 years. I have. It had this much fun with an RPG since Elden ring, and before that Skyrim.

As much as I am hyped for Starfield, it will have to be a once in a decade type game for it to top BG3 for my game of the year vote.

coolbeans said:
Ryuu96 said:

Pete Mf Hines.

Ok... I'm not a fan of how Mark Kern's tweet either, but the implications with "dev" are outright obnoxious.  You're talking about someone who was an old-school Blizzard dev, including StarCraft, Diablo II, & team lead for WoW, who was partly inspired to leave based on moral grounds.  It'd be nice if we just stuck to casual dunking of a dumb tweet versus this attitude.

Yeah, same here. Kern's tweet was stupid, and it's pretty obvious that it is motivated purely by a personal dislike of Microsoft, but the man is still a game dev, putting it in quotations seems unnecessarily rude. Yes, his next game (Em-8er) is taking awhile to release, but he is still a game developer, a rather legendary one who directed vanilla WoW and was head producer on Diablo 2. He is also a man who chose morals over money, deciding to leave when he learned that Activision intended to buy out Blizzard because he knew that Activision's ownership would destroy the culture at Blizzard, and his prediction proved accurate, they transformed from a legendary developer into what they are now, a rather soulless company that injects microtransactions and battlepasses into everything, one that has over time driven away many other classic Blizzard devs including Chris Metzen and Overwatch creator Jeff Kaplan. 

I think it is pretty obvious that the reason Mark Kern is angry about the ABK buyout and now attacking Xbox every chance he gets is because he personally sees some parallels between Microsoft buying ABK, and the original Activision-Blizzard merger that prompted him to leave the company. He clearly still cares for Blizzards IP's and what remain of his old friends that still work there, and is worried that Microsoft will do even more damage to them than Activision did, via even higher levels of monetization to go alongside day one Gamepass releases. I personally think he is wrong, I think Microsoft ownership of Blizzard will be a boon for the Blizzard developers and their IP's, but I understand why he is worried, because Microsoft could very easily decide to take the greed route at some point in the future. I just wish he would stick to those talking points instead of finding increasingly stupid things to criticize Microsoft/Xbox over, like a title screen being too static and simple for his liking. 

Meh. If he's going to post something so incredibly stupid from a developer perspective then I think the dig at his credentials is fair play, he should know better as a "developer" not to post such a dumb ass take. Maybe the dude is just washed up since he hasn't done anything important since World of Warcraft and that is literally the only thing anyone brings up when they talk about him, something he did 20 years ago.

Considering how much of an asshole he is on Twitter, I have my doubts he left Blizzard based on moral grounds.

Looking at what he did more recently, founded an indie studio and then literally got booted out of it because he squandered all of their money on a bus instead of spending it on the development of Firefall, he was also hated by his own employees: Ex-Red 5 Staffers Blast Mark Kern's 'Destructive' Behavior

I've a feeling that Mark Kern is one of those "team leaders" who found success thanks to the great team beneath him, not thanks to his leadership, his biggest credit is "Team Lead" and by all accounts he seems like a bit of a shit leader, even more so I think if he was so brilliant then he would have found employment elsewhere but now he spends his days as a Twitter troll, not a developer.