By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Around the Network

Has anyone been watching the documentary series for Obsidian Entertainment? I just finished Part 3 and it's almost exclusively about the first Pillars of Eternity game lol. I don't mind it though. It was such a great game and reminded me that it kind of helped revitalize the CRPG genre. It was more or less a dead genre aside from the likes of Larian, Obsidian, and inXile. So much of a dead genre that Josh Sawyer said he partly credits the success of the first Pillars of Eternity game on nostalgia lol.

So it's sort of a miracle that Baldur's Gate 3 is even happening! Apparently years ago, Obsidian was given the chance to make Baldur's Gate 3 back in 2009 by Atari, but the budget just wasn't there and Atari ended up being sold to Bandai Namco leaving the deal dead. But I'm really happy that Larian was given the opportunity.

I'm looking forward to Part 4 that I'm assuming will pick up with Tyranny in 2016.

gtotheunit91 said:

Are updates like this common (like every few months) or is this the first time in a while?

I'm planning to do a Halo marathon once I'm done with my Gears of War marathon.

konnichiwa said:
Angelus said:

Ok, so lemme get this straight...

on the one hand, you're not impressed with Xbox for announcing Japanese games that have been on other platforms for years already...

but on the other hand, who cares if Xbox bring a Japanese dev on stage to announce new projects at an Xbox show, cus the fans are on other platforms anyway...

This has been another great edition of gamers talking out both sides of their mouth. Tune in next week for more!

Well it would be the same if Sony announces on stage that Quake 2 remaster is also coming to PS5....  Would you say to bethesda/zenimax fans buy a PS5!!?  Would it be not wise to say 'You should get an Xbox series if you are a Bethesda/Zenimax fan especially with Starfield coming up?'

This is what Xbox is doing....  announcing games that have a fanbase on another platform;  inititally it is not bad but if you love Atlus games why would you go for xbox???  Same with SE games and possible capcom games with some of the megaman games not popping up on xbox...

With Xbox 360 they created a fanbase with games as  Project Sylpheed, Lost Odyssey; Blue dragon, Last remnant, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, Enchanted Arms, Lost planet 1, Magna Carta and so on...   

You're making the big mistake of assuming that the average gamer out there is like us. In reality, 90% of gamers don't buy more than 20 games in an entire generation. None of those will ever own the complete collection of any publisher out there so it really doesn't matter if a Mega Man game skipped Xbox or not, Capcom fans will still buy an Xbox for Capcom games.

But it's true. If you're an ultra Atlus fan, don't buy an Xbox. However, ultra Atlus fans only make up .001% of the market, so no company other than Atlus should even care about them. Xbox now has P3P, P4G, P5R, Soul Hackers 2 and soon P5 Tactica and P3R. That's enough to draw in any person that has played at least one Atlus game before and who is deciding between Xbox, Nintendo and Playstation.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Are updates like this common (like every few months) or is this the first time in a while?

I'm planning to do a Halo marathon once I'm done with my Gears of War marathon.

They are not. They used to be, but for the most part, MCC is pretty content complete. They've mainly been adding stuff that's entirely new or was originally cut.

At the most you'll get two updates a year. But I honestly don't know what else they can add that isn't already there. 

Splitscreen on PC is something they've said to be working on, but there's already hundreds of hours of content in MCC now.

gtotheunit91 said:

They are not. They used to be, but for the most part, MCC is pretty content complete. They've mainly been adding stuff that's entirely new or was originally cut.

At the most you'll get two updates a year. But I honestly don't know what else they can add that isn't already there. 

Splitscreen on PC is something they've said to be working on, but there's already hundreds of hours of content in MCC now.

Nice.

I'm guessing if you play the Xbox One/Series version - the achievements will automatically unlock on the Steam version like Gears 5?

I'll play MCC on my Xbox first if that is the case.

BasilZero said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Nice.

I'm guessing if you play the Xbox One/Series version - the achievements will automatically unlock on the Steam version like Gears 5?

I'll play MCC on my Xbox first if that is the case.

Yes! You're required to login to your Xbox Live account when you launch the Steam version of MCC. So any achievements you have in MCC, will automatically unlock the corresponding achievements on Steam. That's what I did! It was like 5 minutes of achievement pop ups lol

If you don't have MCC on Steam yet, the entire collection is only $10 for the next 3 days it has native Steam Workshop support as well and mods are as easy as pressing the subscribe button! My personal favorite is a bikini bottom map for Halo CE with Plankton as the announcer

EDIT: Here's the link! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2900261691&searchtext=spongebob

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 10 July 2023

konnichiwa said:
Machiavellian said:

I will also chime in and say as someone who enjoys his Xbox and interested in the games coming, my enjoyment does not increase based on Xbox somehow winning the console war or even really matching the PS5.  I stated way before Phil confirmed it that Sony won the console war and thus MS is not concerned about winning something they already lost but instead is concentrating on their stragety of content and keeping a competitive product.  You do not need to be number 1 in order to make enough profit that the business is viable.

I believe the issue with some people is that they are still in the trenches of the console war when that battle is over.  Instead I would be concerned when MS is not making deals, publishing games, reducing staff at key studios, cancelling a lot o projects, you know things that would actually effect me as a Xbox gamer not the e penis of my console is better than yours mentality.  Then again, I have all the consoles so my take probably is different since I purchase a console because it has games I want to play instead of if it sells better than its competition.

It isn't just about Sales but when I joined vgchartz we were in a period with Sony being like:

'Bioshock is coming to PS3'  We can already buy it on Xbox 360 for 20 bucks don't need a PS3..

'Oblivion is comin to PS3'  ^Same thing

'Eternal Sonata is coming to PS3'  ^Same thing

'Star ocean is coming to PS3'  ^Same thing

'Tales of Vesperia is coming to PS3'  ^Only in Japan tho so get it on Xbox 360

'Condemned II is coming to PS3' ^But condemned I isn't on PS3 so it is better to get an Xbox 360

' Mass Effect II coming to PS3' ^ Ugh if you like Mass Effect you should get an Xbox 360

And so on....   because of that foundation plenty of studios were like 'lets also release on X360 like Tekken/Soul Calibur and later on the big announcement FFXIII'.

This is a simular situation but Sony invested a lot of money to get some games, Persona 5/Tales games etc on PS3 to switch the situation around or atleast create a reason why anyone should want a PS3.

Ms is not creating a foundation so far...

You do know that there was a change in direction between where MS and gaming in general was going compared to when Don Matt was sent packing and Phil took over.  First, MS was actually getting out of PC gaming as they dropped a number of studios.  The concentration on non gaming iniatives like the Xbox one and the direction it signaled to a lot of gamers and developers at the time.  The lax in relationships that happen during the late 360 early XBox one era.

It appears to me that you have not paid attention to developments maybe because they are not moving fast for you or your expectations are out of line with how business work. Xbox one and Don direction killed a lot of momentum that MS had coming into that gen and it put them behind as we have noticed.  Those relationships do not just come back out of no where, it takes times to gain that trust back and also gain momentum when you have very competitive environment.  

So to boil this all down is that from what I have seen and what a lot of people have noticed is that nothing is ever good enough for you.  You seem to ignore progress, you ignore wins and you ignore anything that shows that MS continue to build and prosper relationships.  I on the other hand see MS trying to fill a diverse profolio of content for GP and games to the system in general.  A lot of these moves do not move the needle today because it takes way more than these moves to make any immediate change but in business you cannot always change the current but you can build to the future.

Even with your last statement it shows that you just have pretty much put up blinders on and fail to see the foundation that is right in front of your face.  Maybe you feel that MS has some magic wand called money that can solve all their problems but true relationships and gaining support is never solved by money.  You have to get on the ground and work those sources everyday in order to get true support.

gtotheunit91 said:

Yes! You're required to login to your Xbox Live account when you launch the Steam version of MCC. So any achievements you have in MCC, will automatically unlock the corresponding achievements on Steam. That's what I did! It was like 5 minutes of achievement pop ups lol

If you don't have MCC on Steam yet, the entire collection is only $10 for the next 3 days it has native Steam Workshop support as well and mods are as easy as pressing the subscribe button! My personal favorite is a bikini bottom map for Halo CE with Plankton as the announcer

EDIT: Here's the link! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2900261691&searchtext=spongebob

Awesome!

I have MCC on both Xbox and Steam - got them for both $10 or $15 each in the past year or so lol.