By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

For me the Fable trailer was great. The art style of the first trilogy was more of a choice to create still great visuals on limited hardware of the original Xbox and the 360. Fable to me is more about the story-telling, gameplay, and settings, I don't really care if the artwork goes more realistic or not, it's not an important component of Fable to me as long as it remains fantastical in nature.

I remember the trailer for Fable 2, the first few frames being some mountains and the moon in a fantastic manner and I think in a strange way this new Fable represents a better rendering of the original trilogy's promises than was actually delivered with said trilogies.
And not just Graphically speaking, Molyneux was a dreamer that expressed publicly his vision, but never quite delivered them, we still loved the resulting products but it always felt like it could be so much more. Playgrounds have a fair shot at delivering on the franchise's intent and what I saw with the latest trailer looks very promising for a deeper lore more freedom, more interaction with NPC...

Last edited by EpicRandy - on 14 June 2023

Around the Network

My rant to those whiners, they can frankly fuck off.

1. Anyone complaining about Fable having black characters clearly has never played a Fable game in their life considering there's fucking prominent black characters in nearly every single Fable, from Fable 1 we have Whisper who is the Hero's childhood best friend, we have Thunder who is Whisper's brother and Garth in Fable 2 who is one of the damn main heroes, or Page in Fable 3.

2. The main character shown isn't ugly either, she maybe is a bit plain but to me she does have a British look and about what I would expect a woman slumming it up in a medieval fantasy setting would look like, Lol. I'm sure we'll have some sort of character customisation as well. People must also be forgetting how almost all the women in the OG Fable trilogy were ugly too, cause the game was a pisstake for the most part.

3. Fable had monocles AND glasses in the OG trilogy.

4. Richard Ayoade is one of the most popular British comedians in the UK, in a videogame series which has in the past used a ton of well known British stars, such as Stephen Fry, Michael Fassbender, Ben Kingsley, Julia Sawalha, Naomie Harris, James Corden (ew). Richard deserves to be in there just as much, if not more, than some of those stars so f*ck off.

5. I can't believe I have to say this but Fable is a fictional take on Great Britain, Great Britain doesn't have Hobgoblins, Werewolves or Magic either. Oh and black people didn't just f*cking sprout into existence only in the 2000s, there have been black people in Britain way before the rough timeline of Fable.

---

I sorta understand the art-style complaint but at the same time, I would say this Fable leans more into a realism art-style, the original Fable wasn't strictly cartoon, it was a blend of realism/cartoon and I think the cartoon look was largely due to restrictions in technology.

I can accept the lack of gameplay complaints too.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 16 June 2023

EpicRandy said:

For me the Fable trailer was great. The art style of the first trilogy was more of a choice to create still great visuals on limited hardware of the original Xbox and the 360. Fable to me is more about the story-telling, gameplay, and settings, I don't really care if the artwork goes more realistic or not, it's not an important component of Fable to me as long as it remains fantastical in nature.

I remember the trailer for Fable 2, the first few frames being some mountains and moons in a fantastic manner and I think in a strange way this new Fable represents a better rendering of the original trilogy's promises than was actually delivered with said trilogies.
And not just Graphically speaking, Molyneux was a dreamer that expressed publicly his vision, but never quite delivered them, we still loved the resulting products but it always felt like it could be so much more. Playgrounds have a fair shot at delivering on the franchise's intent and what I saw with the latest trailer looks very promising for a deeper lore more freedom, more interaction with NPC...

Yeah that's what I'm thinking cause Fable wasn't strictly cartoon, it was a weird blend, it feels like it was more due to restrictions in technology.

You can sorta notice it in the box-art too. Those are clearly realistic leaning, Imo, for the time of their release.

Then you see the kid in the game and Lmao.

I'd say the environments were a blend of realism/cartoon while the characters were largely...oddly proportioned, Lol.

The trailer nailed the British tone for me, it felt British, I liked the humour in it, I don't mind the art-style change as long as it keeps the fantastical nature, the weirdness and the dumbness with the dark moments too and expand on the sim elements.

This trailer does appear to show a deeper interaction with the common public as the hero, with the humour and some frigging amazing graphics.

Ryuu96 said:

Also if this is being developed largely in Poland then worth baring in mind that Poland game dev wages are low so a $50m game dev budget on a Polish studio could be notably more if it was being developed by an American studio.

People also need to take into account that Remedy's Control only cost 30 million to make, People can Fly are a solid studio and they have grown really large over the years so I'm to see MS strike a deal.

Steam Global Top Wishlist · SteamDB

# Name Top Sellers Followers Release Date
#1 STARFIELD #6 243,603 6 September 2023
#2 Hollow Knight: Silksong 247,150 To be announced
#3 Party Animals 435,133 20 September 2023
#4 Manor Lords 212,374 2023
#5 Hades II 83,630 To be announced
#6 PAYDAY 3 #28 100,439 21 September 2023
#7 S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl #525 174,498 December 2023
#8 Frostpunk 2 85,201 2024
#9 ARK 2 105,466 To be announced
#10 Cities: Skylines II #16 92,303 24 October 2023

7/10 of Steam's Top Wishlisted are Game Pass Day One.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 14 June 2023

Around the Network

Tell ya what, I'd rather have 20 Richard Ayoade's in the game than 1 James Corden again.

Matt Berry HAS to be in the game, it'd be a sin if he wasn't.

2022 was hard. Not having enough… I’d call them AAA first-party games launched. But I didn’t want to do anything artificial. Like you just kind of, you know, hold the line, as our friends like to say. And that’s what we did. And I think now we’re in a position to really pay that off. And not just for the next 12 months.

This will sound maybe naive, almost. I actually don’t have a lot of fear about 2024. 2022 was hard for us. But I think waiting on certain games… Let’s take South of Midnight. Like you saw, the game got announced [during the Xbox Games Showcase]. We had that game ready to announce last year. But we said, let’s keep working on the game. Let’s keep working on the announcement. It’s OK to hold the announce.

When I look forward… there are so many things. We haven't talked about what's coming from id [Software]. We haven't talked about what's coming from The Coalition. When are we going to see Perfect Dark again? And when are we gonna see Everwild again? There are so many things that we still are working on that we haven't shown. I mean, I don't like to be confident, but I like to be humbly confident. I feel good about where that portfolio is.

Why the head of Xbox isn’t worried about AI, Netflix or the future - Polygon

Ryuu96 said:
EpicRandy said:

I remember the trailer for Fable 2, the first few frames being some mountains and moons in a fantastic manner and I think in a strange way this new Fable represents a better rendering of the original trilogy's promises than was actually delivered with said trilogies.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking cause Fable wasn't strictly cartoon, it was a weird blend, it feels like it was more due to restrictions in technology.

You can sorta notice it in the box-art too. Those are clearly realistic leaning, Imo, for the time of their release.

Then you see the kid in the game and Lmao.

I'd say the environments were a blend of realism/cartoon while the characters were largely...oddly proportioned, Lol.

The trailer nailed the British tone for me, it felt British, I liked the humour in it, I don't mind the art-style change as long as it keeps the fantastical nature, the weirdness and the dumbness with the dark moments too and expand on the sim elements.

This trailer does appear to show a deeper interaction with the common public as the hero, with the humour and some frigging amazing graphics.

Yeah, I'm honestly more bothered by the Avowed art style change than Fable. I don't really mind a game like Fable looking less cartoony, it's not like they are going for full photo-realism or something, it's just that the character models are less exaggerated in terms of their proportions, which is perfectly fine with me. It like they moved from a ratio of 33/66 realistic/cartoon on the original Fable games to a ratio of 75/25 realistic/cartoon on the reboot, which is acceptable to me.  And I agree they definitely nailed the tone of the original games in terms of humor, I'm really not sure why I'm seeing so many people saying that the tone is off.

The Avowed art change hurts a bit more as I was expecting them to try and make the actual game looked like that short clip of pre-rendered simulated gameplay at the end of the reveal trailer, especially after I heard that they had moved to Unreal 5. It doesn't really look bad, it just doesn't look great either. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 14 June 2023

shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, I'm honestly more bothered by the Avowed art style change than Fable. I don't really mind a game like Fable looking less cartoony, it's not like they are going for full photo-realism or something, it's just that the character models are less exaggerated in terms of their proportions, which is perfectly fine with me. And they definitely nailed the tone of the original games in terms of humor, I'm really not sure why I'm seeing so many people saying that the tone is off.

The Avowed art change hurts a bit more as I was expecting them to try and make the actual game looked like that short clip of pre-rendered simulated gameplay at the end of the reveal trailer, especially after I heard that they had moved to Unreal 5. It doesn't really look bad, it just doesn't look great either. 

I'm not bothered by the Avowed art style change, although it's hard to even claim that since all we had prior to Sunday was a CGI trailer, which means practically nothing as to how the game will look. 

But it does very much look like Pillars of Eternity in first-person. PoE had very vibrant colors and Avowed seems to be owning that. In an interview on Sunday, Feargus said that Avowed did start out as Obsidian's take on Skyrim, but realized that's not where Obsidian's strengths lie. So that may have been part of the rumored reboot and why the game doesn't look like what it did from that initial CGI trailer.

But also, the game isn't releasing at least within the next 6 months. So it could be another year of development or nearly a year and a half. I think Avowed will still look very good at release as graphical polish is usually one of the final steps of development.

gtotheunit91 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, I'm honestly more bothered by the Avowed art style change than Fable. I don't really mind a game like Fable looking less cartoony, it's not like they are going for full photo-realism or something, it's just that the character models are less exaggerated in terms of their proportions, which is perfectly fine with me. And they definitely nailed the tone of the original games in terms of humor, I'm really not sure why I'm seeing so many people saying that the tone is off.

I'm not bothered by the Avowed art style change, although it's hard to even claim that since all we had prior to Sunday was a CGI trailer, which means practically nothing as to how the game will look. 

But it does very much look like Pillars of Eternity in first-person. PoE had very vibrant colors and Avowed seems to be owning that. In an interview on Sunday, Feargus said that Avowed did start out as Obsidian's take on Skyrim, but realized that's not where Obsidian's strengths lie. So that may have been part of the rumored reboot and why the game doesn't look like what it did from that initial CGI trailer.

But also, the game isn't releasing at least within the next 6 months. So it could be another year of development or nearly a year and a half. I think Avowed will still look very good at release as graphical polish is usually one of the final steps of development.

Same for me, I'm a big fan of Pillars 1 and 2; so when I saw the art style, I was 100% fine and expecting this. I'm actually really happy about it and when you look at still frames taken from the trailer you can see that this is really the art that is like that; the models/resolution/definition is crisp.

But I also agree (and I think that Shikamaru point or at least part of it); that based on the previous CGI trailer, it is day and night. So if someone had expectations for the gameplay based on that; I get that it could be a bit disappointing.